Medicals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Medicals

Post by ARGO »

up on one wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

https://tc.gc.ca/en/transport-canada/co ... 2-1091.htm

Thanks, up on one.
---------- ADS -----------

m9:24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by m9:24 »

up on one wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

Unfortunately TC isn't clear on the language. The attestation form says "limitations or restrictions" To which I would read that glasses are a medical limitation and you can't just do the form. It would make sense if I could just do the form, my vision hasn't changed, but making sense and TC forms don't go together very well.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

m9:24 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 am

Unfortunately TC isn't clear on the language. The attestation form says "limitations or restrictions" To which I would read that glasses are a medical limitation and you can't just do the form. It would make sense if I could just do the form, my vision hasn't changed, but making sense and TC forms don't go together very well.

Up on one provided the link to the list of Licence Restrictions/Medical Limitations.

In appendix B of the exemption/form, there is a list of both Licence restrictions and Medical Limitations. Wearing glasses is not mentioned in appendix B along with the other medical limitations.

m9:24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by m9:24 »

Agreed, got confirmation from my CAME that glasses aren't a limitation.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

7ECA wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:03 pm
Your attestation is valid for six months from your last validity period, it expires Nov 1, 2020. If your health is stable, a second attestation can be done which is also valid for six months. This will bring you to your original expiry period.
My "previous" medical was valid until May 1st (Cat 1) under the "regular" rules. Even with the extension/exemption, and this attestation exemption, my medical isn't valid from June whatever when I filled out the form - it reverts to the date my old medical expired as though it was renewed then... Clear as mud. :prayer:

Edit: Apparently this is a SNAFU from the Pacific Region, they've been "overwhelmed" by inquiries and their employees assumed everyone was over 40. If you're over 40 you get a six month extension via attestation. If you're under 40, you get the standard one year.
I don't think this is correct. From the exemption on the TC website:

Renewal of a medical certificate by attestation of fitness
1. The renewal by attestation of fitness shall only be applied to a medical certificate if the following conditions are met: a) The medical certificate does not bear any limitation or restriction set out in Appendix B of this document; and
b) The health status of the holder of the medical certificate has not changed since his or her preceding medical examination.

2. The renewal shall be added to the existing valid-to-date and shall expire on the first day of the month that immediately follows the end of the validity period of the medical certificate as specified under subsection 404.04(6) of the CARs.
3. The holder of the medical certificate shall retain a copy of the completed attestation of fitness with his or her original medical certificate or aviation document booklet.
4. The holder of a medical certificate using this exemption to renew a medical certificate by attestation of fitness shall submit the completed and signed attestation of fitness, found in Appendix A of this document, to the Minister: a) By August 1, 2020 if the medical certificate expires between March 17, 2020 and August 1, 2020; or
b) Within 90 days prior to the expiry of the valid medical certificate, if the medical certificate expires after August 1, 2020.

All persons exercising the privileges of a medical certificate pursuant to the terms and conditions of this exemption

8. The validity period of the medical certificate can be renewed as follow: a) For holders of a medical certificate subject to section 404.10 of the CARs (reproduced in appendix C) until the date one (1) year after the day on which their medical certificate validity period originally expired;
b) For holders of a medical certificate subject to subsection 404.04(6.2) of the CARs (reproduced in appendix C) until the date six (6) months after the day on which the medical certificate validity period originally expired.

(6.1) The validity period of a medical certificate for a commercial pilot licence, a multi-crew pilot licence — aeroplane and an airline transport pilot licence, if the holder of the licence is acting as a flight crew member for hire or reward, is 12 months.

(6.2) However, the validity period of a medical certificate referred to in subsection (6.1) is reduced to 6 months if
(a) the holder of the licence is 40 years of age or older and is conducting a single-pilot operation with passengers on board; or
(b) the holder of the licence is 60 years of age or older.

So basically you are extended fro 12 months unless you are over 60 or flying single-pilot.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

My cat1 expired in August 2019, so I'm assuming I can use the attestation to extend my PPL medical validity until August 2021.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

So who has actually renewed via attestation? I did, and I submitted my attestation form to my specific region but I never got a reply back (although I was never expecting one)

I'm just wondering if those who submitted their form ever heard a reply back. From my understanding, all one has to do is just submit one copy to Tc and keep the other and you're good for one year from the date you submitted the form (if under 40)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

47north wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:23 am
The best way, well, at this point really the only way to get any sort of conclusive answer is; when you submit your attestation ask for a confirmation that TC received it - but also ask them to confirm your medical expiration date.

In my case, TC Pacific Region called me to tell me I was only get a six month renewal - turns out they assumed I was 40+ and would need to make a second attestation to get a year extension. Once that misunderstand was cleared up (only took an email and another phone call), I did get the year extension via attestation - but with a "catch" of sorts. I assumed the validity period would run from the month I submitted the attestation (June) until the first day of the 13th month (July 1, 2021). Nope, that's not how it works - according to TC Pacific Region.

Apparently, how the attestation works, is basically they assume you're submitting/renewing your medical in the same month in which you had your last CAME visit (in my case that would be April 2019, and thus my "renewal" is from April 2020), and not renewing it now (as in June 2020). So, my previous Cat. 1 medical had a "normal" expiration date of May 1, 2020 - and thus my attestation medical will lapse May 1, 2021...

Clear as mud; so get some sort of confirmation from TC - because it'll be on you if there's a mixup.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

7ECA wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:27 pm
47north wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:23 am
The best way, well, at this point really the only way to get any sort of conclusive answer is; when you submit your attestation ask for a confirmation that TC received it - but also ask them to confirm your medical expiration date.

In my case, TC Pacific Region called me to tell me I was only get a six month renewal - turns out they assumed I was 40+ and would need to make a second attestation to get a year extension. Once that misunderstand was cleared up (only took an email and another phone call), I did get the year extension via attestation - but with a "catch" of sorts. I assumed the validity period would run from the month I submitted the attestation (June) until the first day of the 13th month (July 1, 2021). Nope, that's not how it works - according to TC Pacific Region.

Apparently, how the attestation works, is basically they assume you're submitting/renewing your medical in the same month in which you had your last CAME visit (in my case that would be April 2019, and thus my "renewal" is from April 2020), and not renewing it now (as in June 2020). So, my previous Cat. 1 medical had a "normal" expiration date of May 1, 2020 - and thus my attestation medical will lapse May 1, 2021...

Clear as mud; so get some sort of confirmation from TC - because it'll be on you if there's a mixup.
Why do they have to always make it so complicated... I'm going to call into my region just to confirm I'm good with the attestation I submitted as I kinda need to know if my medical is good for when I eventually do go back flying. Everything should be in order on my end but clearly with TC you never know...

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

twa22 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 pm Why do they have to always make it so complicated...
The person I was talking to blamed ICAO. Coming from Transport Canada, that's kind of funny. :smt008

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

What about those lads that just turned 30 this year, and need an ECG this round. Is the attestation enough? I can see TC has thought this one through. :D

Not that I think an ECG at 30 should be necessary.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

160tonoaha wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:37 pm What about those lads that just turned 30 this year, and need an ECG this round. Is the attestation enough? I can see TC has thought this one through. :D

Not that I think an ECG at 30 should be necessary.

The way I have read it, routine testing (ECG’s, urine etc.) isn’t required until your next full examination.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Scuderia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 pm Note that the website with e-mail addresses to use for submission has some typos.

The address for Pacific Region bounced. Resent fixing the misspelling of "civil" in the English portion of the abominably long e-mail and it seems to have worked.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine
Did it worked out with civil instead of civile?

I've tried with differents adresses and it bounced everytime. What would be the correct spelling?

ONTCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAeronautiqueCivile@tc.gc.ca original one
ONTCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAeronautiqueCivil@tc.gc.ca correct one?

thank you

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

garfield wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am
Scuderia wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 pm Note that the website with e-mail addresses to use for submission has some typos.

The address for Pacific Region bounced. Resent fixing the misspelling of "civil" in the English portion of the abominably long e-mail and it seems to have worked.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine
Did it worked out with civil instead of civile?

I've tried with differents adresses and it bounced everytime. What would be the correct spelling?

ONTCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAeronautiqueCivile@tc.gc.ca original one
ONTCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAeronautiqueCivil@tc.gc.ca correct one?

thank you
I sent it to ONTCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAeronautiqueCivile@tc.gc.ca and didn't have any email bounce back, I just got an automatic reply with due to covid 19 blabber

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

7ECA wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm
twa22 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 pm Why do they have to always make it so complicated...
The person I was talking to blamed ICAO. Coming from Transport Canada, that's kind of funny. :smt008
LOL

talk about irony...

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Well, TC isn't very useful but again, not surprising. The ontario region phone line doesn't even accept calls, automated message just says to email or leave a voicemail... well if I can't seem to get clarification from a live TC rep I guess I'll just go with whatever is written on the new exemption. As far as i'm concerned, I signed the papers and sent them a copy so I'm good for another year

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

I've been on the weekly TC COVID calls and the chief medical officer has confirmed if a test like ECG is routine and as per the regs (age based, etc) and not due to a medical condition then it's not required at this time. The attestation is sufficient

Return to “General Comments”