Medicals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Medicals

Post by tazin river »

Morning folks

My medical is also due but I can't get an appointment here in YK until August. Is there another way to get it? Just saw this note from COPA this morning that we can do it via telemedecine?

https://copanational.org/en/2020/06/04/ ... t-20200604

Is that really an option?
---------- ADS -----------

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

dhc# wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 am One thing I am not sure on is once the form is sent in to the TC RAMO, will they send a confirmation of your document being received ?

Anyone know
I asked for one in my email submission and received a reply in 12 hours.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

tazin river wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks
Email addresses for all of the regions are available at the below link.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine

Pacific region has a typo, the correct address is TC.PACCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAviationCivile.TC@tc.gc.ca

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

My medical says I need to wear glasses. Does this mean I cannot RENEW via attestation ?

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:04 pm What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

My medical says I need to wear glasses. Does this mean I cannot RENEW via attestation ?
Limitations Preventing Renewal by Attestation

License restricted;
Permit restricted;
3 months only;
6 months only;
9 months only;
12 months only;
24 months only;
Subject to letter dated;
Private Pilot License (PPL) privileges – 12 months only;
Valid only when another air traffic controller available and competent to assume your duties;
With an accompanying pilot; or,
Not valid for Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME) renewal.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Someone can likely clear this up, faster than TC...

With the previous exemption (NCR-071-2020), medical validity was extended until August 1st, 2020 for those holding a valid medical in the specified period. Now, under NCR-062-2020, with the medical attestation, your medical validity period is extended for those whom hold a valid medical... does your medical now expire (depending on CARs limits for medical validity) based on your "old" medical exam date, or based off of the extension granted (NCR-071-2020)?

With the extension, my medical was valid until August 1st, 2020. With the attestation, is my medical valid until September 1st, 2021 - or is it based off of the previous medical exam date - 1st day of the 13th month?

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

You are essentially renewing your medical so the date would be the same if you went to see a CAME.

If you have a CAT-I and normally have a 12 month validity the you get another 12 months from the date you either fill out the form or do the phone conference with your CAME.

At least that’s my understanding.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Clear as mud.

So, three possibilities now. Either it's NCR-071-2020 - August 1st, 2020 to September 1st 2021 validity period. Or, it's based off of the existing medical in your ADB - 1st day of the 13th month. Or, it's based off of the month you fill out the attestation form/call your CAME, to the 1st day of the 13th month (sometime between July 2021 - September 2021). All assuming you're the holder of a CPL, under 40 - or over 40 but not single pilot...

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

The following is copied from the TC document:

“The renewal shall be added to the existing valid-to-date and shall expire on the first day of the month that immediately follows the end of the validity period of the medical certificate as specified under subsection 404.04(6) of the CARs.”

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Honestly I think your just making it more complicated than it needs to be (with respect)

Your medical is valid when you get it renewed just like the old way of doing it. If that’s 12 or 24 months, whatever.

Regardless of what’s in your ADB it’s starts from when you fill out the form or you call your CAME and you have until August1st to get that done. (Assuming you expire prior to August 1st)

For myself, I expired June1st but good until August 1st under the original amendment. Now, when I fill out the form, I have the first day of the 13th month until I need to get it down again.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Scuderia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:26 pm
tazin river wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks
Email addresses for all of the regions are available at the below link.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine

Pacific region has a typo, the correct address is TC.PACCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAviationCivile.TC@tc.gc.ca
Thank you sir, this made emailing the form easy versus having to look everywhere for the email address.. if only TC could've included the email list on the exemption page, but why would they?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

wordstwice wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:07 pm Honestly I think your just making it more complicated than it needs to be (with respect)
I'd have agreed with you entirely, until I got a response from Transport - Pacific Region.

Here's a quote from the email response I received (after requesting confirmation of what was said on the phone);
Your attestation is valid for six months from your last validity period, it expires Nov 1, 2020. If your health is stable, a second attestation can be done which is also valid for six months. This will bring you to your original expiry period.
My "previous" medical was valid until May 1st (Cat 1) under the "regular" rules. Even with the extension/exemption, and this attestation exemption, my medical isn't valid from June whatever when I filled out the form - it reverts to the date my old medical expired as though it was renewed then... Clear as mud. :prayer:

Edit: Apparently this is a SNAFU from the Pacific Region, they've been "overwhelmed" by inquiries and their employees assumed everyone was over 40. If you're over 40 you get a six month extension via attestation. If you're under 40, you get the standard one year.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:04 pm What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

Bump.

Has anyone contacted TC to see if wearing glasses falls under the “Licence Restricted” in the appendix? Can you renew via attestation if you need to wear glasses?

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

https://tc.gc.ca/en/transport-canada/co ... 2-1091.htm

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

up on one wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

Thanks, up on one.

m9:24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by m9:24 »

up on one wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

Unfortunately TC isn't clear on the language. The attestation form says "limitations or restrictions" To which I would read that glasses are a medical limitation and you can't just do the form. It would make sense if I could just do the form, my vision hasn't changed, but making sense and TC forms don't go together very well.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

m9:24 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 am

Unfortunately TC isn't clear on the language. The attestation form says "limitations or restrictions" To which I would read that glasses are a medical limitation and you can't just do the form. It would make sense if I could just do the form, my vision hasn't changed, but making sense and TC forms don't go together very well.

Up on one provided the link to the list of Licence Restrictions/Medical Limitations.

In appendix B of the exemption/form, there is a list of both Licence restrictions and Medical Limitations. Wearing glasses is not mentioned in appendix B along with the other medical limitations.

m9:24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by m9:24 »

Agreed, got confirmation from my CAME that glasses aren't a limitation.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

7ECA wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:03 pm
Your attestation is valid for six months from your last validity period, it expires Nov 1, 2020. If your health is stable, a second attestation can be done which is also valid for six months. This will bring you to your original expiry period.
My "previous" medical was valid until May 1st (Cat 1) under the "regular" rules. Even with the extension/exemption, and this attestation exemption, my medical isn't valid from June whatever when I filled out the form - it reverts to the date my old medical expired as though it was renewed then... Clear as mud. :prayer:

Edit: Apparently this is a SNAFU from the Pacific Region, they've been "overwhelmed" by inquiries and their employees assumed everyone was over 40. If you're over 40 you get a six month extension via attestation. If you're under 40, you get the standard one year.
I don't think this is correct. From the exemption on the TC website:

Renewal of a medical certificate by attestation of fitness
1. The renewal by attestation of fitness shall only be applied to a medical certificate if the following conditions are met: a) The medical certificate does not bear any limitation or restriction set out in Appendix B of this document; and
b) The health status of the holder of the medical certificate has not changed since his or her preceding medical examination.

2. The renewal shall be added to the existing valid-to-date and shall expire on the first day of the month that immediately follows the end of the validity period of the medical certificate as specified under subsection 404.04(6) of the CARs.
3. The holder of the medical certificate shall retain a copy of the completed attestation of fitness with his or her original medical certificate or aviation document booklet.
4. The holder of a medical certificate using this exemption to renew a medical certificate by attestation of fitness shall submit the completed and signed attestation of fitness, found in Appendix A of this document, to the Minister: a) By August 1, 2020 if the medical certificate expires between March 17, 2020 and August 1, 2020; or
b) Within 90 days prior to the expiry of the valid medical certificate, if the medical certificate expires after August 1, 2020.

All persons exercising the privileges of a medical certificate pursuant to the terms and conditions of this exemption

8. The validity period of the medical certificate can be renewed as follow: a) For holders of a medical certificate subject to section 404.10 of the CARs (reproduced in appendix C) until the date one (1) year after the day on which their medical certificate validity period originally expired;
b) For holders of a medical certificate subject to subsection 404.04(6.2) of the CARs (reproduced in appendix C) until the date six (6) months after the day on which the medical certificate validity period originally expired.

(6.1) The validity period of a medical certificate for a commercial pilot licence, a multi-crew pilot licence — aeroplane and an airline transport pilot licence, if the holder of the licence is acting as a flight crew member for hire or reward, is 12 months.

(6.2) However, the validity period of a medical certificate referred to in subsection (6.1) is reduced to 6 months if
(a) the holder of the licence is 40 years of age or older and is conducting a single-pilot operation with passengers on board; or
(b) the holder of the licence is 60 years of age or older.

So basically you are extended fro 12 months unless you are over 60 or flying single-pilot.

Return to “General Comments”