Seaplane Rating YQT

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seaplane Rating YQT

Post by 5 And Below »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for seaplane ratings in YQT area? As far as I understand, there are no schools or clubs doing this in the area.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

2thetop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Seaplane Rating YQT

Post by 2thetop »

Atikokan Aero will do it.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

As far as I know there is currently no flight training taking place across Ontario. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Georgian Bay Airways out of Parry Sound seems to be pretty popular as far as Ontario goes, I’m not aware of any ops out of YQT, but I’m not from that area either so they may exist beyond my knowledge.

In saying that, you may be best to head to BC or somewhere out of province if you need it done quickly. In saying that, I’m not sure what the current travel limitations are from province to province and if that would actually be feasible for you to do. It could potentially be better than waiting around in Ontario if you need it ASAP for a new job opportunity or something.

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

Go to the All Air seaplane base. Ask for Arnie.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

There are no schools with seaplanes in YQT. You can get a freelancer but you'll have to get a plane from someone. Someone can't supply both the plane and the instructor unless they have an FTUOC.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 pm As far as I know there is currently no flight training taking place across Ontario. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Georgian Bay Airways out of Parry Sound seems to be pretty popular as far as Ontario goes, I’m not aware of any ops out of YQT, but I’m not from that area either so they may exist beyond my knowledge.

In saying that, you may be best to head to BC or somewhere out of province if you need it done quickly. In saying that, I’m not sure what the current travel limitations are from province to province and if that would actually be feasible for you to do. It could potentially be better than waiting around in Ontario if you need it ASAP for a new job opportunity or something.
SATC at Springbank just sent out a message today that they are resuming flight training with restrictions. Probably the best news I've heard in a while in avcanada so I'll take it.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Arnie is a good bet.

PM me if you need info.

Firetractor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Firetractor »

I know KBM has a float plane and they do some instructing as well. Maybe contact Lukas and see if float ratings are something they would do? Unfortunately I am not sure if they are currently operating.

As a side note an earlier commentor mentioned someone not being able to supply both the plane and instructor for the float rating. I'm not sure that is accurate. Atikokan Aero has been providing training towards float plane ratings for decades and they offer both the plane and training pilot, without possessing a FTUOC. As far as I understand it as long as the trainer meets the legal requirements and aircraft is fit to fly the rating should be valid. If I am wrong I welcome the correction.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Firetractor wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:55 pm As a side note an earlier commentor mentioned someone not being able to supply both the plane and instructor for the float rating. I'm not sure that is accurate. Atikokan Aero has been providing training towards float plane ratings for decades and they offer both the plane and training pilot, without possessing a FTUOC. As far as I understand it as long as the trainer meets the legal requirements and aircraft is fit to fly the rating should be valid. If I am wrong I welcome the correction.
I know lots of people that do it without an FTUOC. I just don't know how they square it with CAR 406.03.
406.03 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no person shall operate a flight training service in Canada using an aeroplane or helicopter in Canada unless the person holds a flight training unit operator certificate that authorizes the person to operate the service and complies with the conditions and operations specifications set out in the certificate.

(2) A person who does not hold a flight training unit operator certificate may operate a flight training service if

(a) the person holds a private operator registration document or an air operator certificate, the aircraft used for training — in the case of the holder of an air operator certificate — is specified in the air operator certificate, and the training is other than toward obtaining a pilot permit — recreational, a private pilot licence, a commercial pilot licence or a flight instructor rating; or

(b) the trainee is

(i) the owner, or a member of the family of the owner, of the aircraft used for training,

(ii) a director of a corporation that owns the aircraft used for training, and the training is other than toward obtaining a pilot permit — recreational or a private pilot licence, or

(iii) using an aircraft that has been obtained from a person who is at arm’s length from the flight instructor, and the training is other than toward obtaining a pilot permit — recreational or a private pilot licence.
If anyone knows the legal justification for doing it, I'm all ears.

marlin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marlin »

Under (2):
recreational, a private pilot licence, a commercial pilot licence or a flight instructor rating
Doesn’t list float rating (or any other rating) - as long as they have an AOC with the training airplane on it, you’re good to go.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

That applies to 604 or 703 doing training.

Return to “General Comments”