New Challengers for DND?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

New Challengers for DND?

Post by PilotDAR »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/feds-s ... -1.5601635
Due to more congested airspace and the incorporation of newer digital technology such as GPS in air-traffic control, countries around the world are phasing in new standards requiring modern navigation systems on all aircraft.

While two Challengers purchased by the federal government in the early 2000s have relatively modern systems, the two Challengers purchased in the 1980s don't meet the new standards.
So instead of upgrading avionics, they buy two new planes? They couldn't do an avionics upgrade for two planes for $105M? There must be more to this story... I hope! Sure, employ Canadians, if the product is good value, and needed....
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New Challengers for DND?

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I'm surprised they didn't go with Globals, nearly same cost to operate. Maybe something designed in the last 20 years.

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Good choice. Nobody is upgrading their 601's with FANS and CPDLC. We even had a 604 sold off for parts

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

They’re not buying them, are they?

Just taking it off Bombardiers tab? ;)

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:45 pm They’re not buying them, are they?

Just taking it off Bombardiers tab? ;)
That would've been awesome.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’d imagine the 80’s challengers are getting to be pretty high time and high cycle machines as well

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Does that sum include a support program? They are due for replacement but we don't have the cash for that. I was always a supporter of bombardier but I'm done with them. They managed to kill evinrude now too, they're the worst!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Heliian wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:10 pm Does that sum include a support program? They are due for replacement but we don't have the cash for that. I was always a supporter of bombardier but I'm done with them. They managed to kill evinrude now too, they're the worst!
I think it was 80 mil for the birds, and 25 mil for training and parts. Running numbers, I think they paid msrp on those birds. Someone at DND should have kept this under wraps.

It's one thing replacing aircraft with taxpayers dollars, particularly private jets. It's another to get hosed on the deal by the manufacturer you keep on life support who have yet to really give back to the Canadian economy.

I think they just announced another 2500 layoffs?

*sigh*

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

The 2 remaining (of 4 originally purchased) CL-601s that 412 are operating are 34 years old. It's probably time to replace them.

They added 2 new CL-604s to the fleet in 2002 to replace one CL-601 that was written off in an accident and another that was to be retired recently and has since been put on static display at the outdoor museum at CFB Greenwood.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Glad to see the DND add these aircraft. Compared to our peers, Canada has a small fleet of VIP transport due to the wash-rinse-repeat cycle of their utilization being used to grandstand by the opposition party. "XXXX party is out of touch with the values of hardworking Canadians look how much they've used these jets that cost $XXXX/hour."

It's obvious that we should buy these aircraft from Bombardier, even Germany has purchased Global's for missions that don't warrant their A350. We're a G7 country, the RCAF deserves a bigger fleet VIP transport fleet than Janet.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Heliian wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:10 pm Does that sum include a support program? They are due for replacement but we don't have the cash for that. I was always a supporter of bombardier but I'm done with them. They managed to kill evinrude now too, they're the worst!
Bombardier doesn’t own Evinrude, BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) did. Two different companies since 2003.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!

Return to “General Comments”