How many pilots laid off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

How many pilots laid off?

Post by Civic »

Anyone have a guess on how many pilot colleagues got the lay-off notice across the country among all the carriers?
Sad times
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: How many pilots laid off?

Post by co-joe »

I read online an estimate of 90 000 world wide pilot layoffs or permanently unemployed.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

co-joe wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:15 pm I read online an estimate of 90 000 world wide pilot layoffs or permanently unemployed.
Holy crap! Where did you read that!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I was hoping you wouldn't ask that, I can't remember, it was something that came by my facebook feed. The quick search on that specific number came up with:

https://apanamag.online/aviation/covid- ... september/

Feel free to fact check me on this one.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

At least 50.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Glasnost wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:58 pm At least 50.
I'll take atleast 51

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I heard it was more like 1,000,000

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

You can add close to 900 Emirates Pilots to the totals. Layoffs done out of Seniority.

A lot a Government Income Support schemes are ending around the World in the coming months. Looks like a lot more layoffs to come once these expire.

I know quite a few ex Colleagues whose careers have probably ended - not all of them have figured that out yet.

Last edited by Eric Janson on Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Emirates is such a garbage company.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The end of a job is not necessarily the end of a career. Surely you of anyone should know that Eric, I'll assume you don't mean to sound as condescending as that comes across. Perhaps you should pass along your insights to these former colleagues of yours and see and what they think of them?

Sure, for many it may very well be an early exit from the industry, but you speak with a certainty that isn't possible to have. Certainly there are some decisions to be made by EK guys in sight of retirement, but I know more than a few who are pretty senior and have accumulated absolute bags of money from that "garbage company" to ease whatever they choose to do.

The only constant at the moment is massive, massive uncertainty as to the timeline and scale of the resumption of operations. It won't be even, it won't be soon, it won't be linear and it certainly won't be right back to the level it was (unlike the stock markets!). But it's not the end of the world either. It's a pandemic, and as much as we don't know about Covid-19 we do know that all pandemics - end.

I've said before the future belongs to the adaptable, I would add to this specific crisis that it belongs to those prepared to play the long game.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:42 am The end of a job is not necessarily the end of a career. Surely you of anyone should know that Eric, I'll assume you don't mean to sound as condescending as that comes across. Perhaps you should pass along your insights to these former colleagues of yours and see and what they think of them?

Sure, for many it may very well be an early exit from the industry, but you speak with a certainty that isn't possible to have. Certainly there are some decisions to be made by EK guys in sight of retirement, but I know more than a few who are pretty senior and have accumulated absolute bags of money from that "garbage company" to ease whatever they choose to do.
You're correct - I should have added the word "probably" - that would have made my statement a bit more nuanced. Corrected.

Here is the article where the 900 figure is mentioned - as is the way this was communicated.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -grounded/

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”