Annoying pilot "friends"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Annoying pilot "friends"

Post by L1900Edge »

Every single kiss ass "pilot friend" right now:

Hey Buddy! I know its been like 10 years since we talked, but you guys hiring right now?

Where Is the lie?
---------- ADS -----------

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Annoying pilot "friends"

Post by Admiral Benson »

I fail to see how trying to put food on the table for ones family makes anyone a “kiss ass” if someone has an angle to play right now I certainly wouldn’t fault them for picking up the phone.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

For the ramp only, 5000 hours and ATPL required. Two year bond for the forklift.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

L1900Edge wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:45 pm Every single kiss ass "pilot friend" right now:

Hey Buddy! I know its been like 10 years since we talked, but you guys hiring right now?

Where Is the lie?
If it’s been ten years since you heard from them, you are not their friend, you are a contact at best. This industry has a lot to do with who you know, the use of “buddy” in this situation is more like a greeting to an old acquaintance not an actual buddy, slightly more formal than dude or hey man.
Imagine you lost your job and don’t want to be on EI, would you contact old acquaintances and see if it leads to gainful employment, if you say no to that you’re lying to yourself.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I don’t really see how reaching out to someone you know/knew for info is being a kiss ass. I’ve had plenty of people I haven’t talked to in years inquire about where I work. And a significant part of what got me in the door at my current job was help from a friend of a friend.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Yes, much better to be rude to everyone you meet. That usually gets you a long ways. It is doubtful the person is looking for a date, just a contact.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Where Is the lie?
What?

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:49 pm
Where Is the lie?
What?
My thoughts exactly! I have many Pilot "buddies" on social media or on my phone contact list, that I will fire off a random inappropriate meme at an inappropriate time, whom I haven't actually talked to for many years, and wouldn't hesitate to call on if needed.

Keep the dirty side down.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Off the top of my head I can think of a dozen pilot "buddies" at half a dozen recession proof companies. It did not occur to me to call them during the current downturn to try to get a job. What would I say? Maybe something like "Hey, I moved on to bigger and better things while for family reasons you stayed in a harder working lesser paid position that was more stable and secure. I'm not current on your aircraft type anymore and I realize that there are 100 other pilots that you haven't heard from in a decade calling you for the same reason but how about helping me because I'm more important than everyone else".

At the same time though, if at any time in the last 10 years any of those pilots needed help I hope they would have called me if there was something I could do regardless of how much time has passed.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that keeping in mind the current situation, the needs of the company in question, and the number of pilots with the exact same or more recent qualifications that you have, if you still feel you have something to offer then it's not verboten to call old contacts. Otherwise maybe consider that dignified behaviour is not as overrated as some here would have you believe.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

There's a difference between someone who's actually your buddy/friend acting like your buddy than someone who you barely know acting as if he's your long lost BFF.

"Hey man, I'm out of a job, any chance you guys are doing any hiring" is different than "Hey dude, long time! Remember that time you lent me your pickup truck when I had to move and I gave you a pack of beer? Haha good times" followed by asking you to hand deliver their resume to the CP messages later.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Well this thread sure backfired on the OP :rolleyes:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Funny, I’ve made a bunch of friends recently too. Folks who did all sorts of backstabby crap in the past, no less. The joke’s on them, I’m worse off than they are now.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Funny, I’ve made a bunch of friends recently too.
That's a tall tale and you know it

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I lend a hand regardless of how much time has passed. I'm always happy to reconnect even if it's simple small chat. And if I can help find a seat, even better. I would hope if I found myself in hard times, those friends and contacts would consider doing the same.

Good luck to everyone weathering the storm. This too shall pass.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:17 pm
Funny, I’ve made a bunch of friends recently too.
That's a tall tale and you know it
Busted.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Suck it up, that's how social media operates. That's why I don't have any friends :smt040 I don't use any social media for personal contacts or friends. A word to the wise, looking for a job or dealing with HR, that's first place they look to see if you are not playing silly bugger on social media. +

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There's a difference between someone who's actually your buddy/friend acting like your buddy than someone who you barely know acting as if he's your long lost BFF.

"Hey man, I'm out of a job, any chance you guys are doing any hiring" is different than "Hey dude, long time! Remember that time you lent me your pickup truck when I had to move and I gave you a pack of beer? Haha good times" followed by asking you to hand deliver their resume to the CP messages later.
Plus 1.

I think there are maybe many who agree with the OP, but are not willing to post , and be attacked by the PC crowd, as being insensitive Neanderthals .

From a personal perspective, I have done what I could to help friends get hired. But there is only So much I can do, and I do reserve it for friends, not Acquaintances .
Can be as pleasant and two faced as some.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
laineinaplane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laineinaplane »

Keeping contacts in this industry is the main way that someone can get a job. Showing animosity towards any pilot trying to further themselves in their career is a little arrogant imo. No flying job is 100% stable and if I am in a position to assist a fellow pilot, I see if there is something I can do to help. Not everybody is trying to screw you over.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

laineinaplane wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:54 am Keeping contacts in this industry is the main way that someone can get a job. Showing animosity towards any pilot trying to further themselves in their career is a little arrogant imo. No flying job is 100% stable and if I am in a position to assist a fellow pilot, I see if there is something I can do to help. Not everybody is trying to screw you over.
Sure, but if you call me "buddy" because we talked for 10 minutes about 5 years ago, you're not going to get much help. Just like showing up at a random company and greeting the chief pilot with "hey dude, you gotta job for me?" isn't going to help you much either. When you refer people to a job, their performance will also reflect on you. If I doubt you'll make a good impression, I won't recommend you or forward your resume. If I don't know you well, then I don't have much information to go on. The way you contact me after 5 years is, in that case, an important indication as to how my colleagues will perceive you.

I'm happy to help most people in any way I can, but I have no obligation to try and help everyone. That being said, I doubt anyone could really help you much in this economy.

GoingVertical is completely right.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I'm not offended by anyone of my old acquaintances asking me about jobs. I feel privileged to be where I'm at and can't imagine what I'd do or who I'd try to contact if my employment changed. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't try doing the same thing if I was in their shoes. Even if their methods of asking me are rather tactless, I'd gladly give info to someone I enjoyed working with, and withhold info from anyone I didn't enjoy working with, no matter how politely and tactful they approached me, asking about employment.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “General Comments”