Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yolosweg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

Post by yolosweg »

Basically the title: Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

Where my question is coming from: I just completed my engineering degree and I was thinking about careers that 5 years ago would have been unrealistic for me--a career in flying being one. I never considered it back then due to a mixture of being scared it won't work out and the fact that I didn't really know much about it (or know someone in it).

But recently I've been reading a few threads of people in their 30s /40s becoming airline pilots and I was just thinking "hey why not me?". I don't know if this is a stupid idea, but I was thinking about working in engineering for maybe 3-4 years and basically saving some money to pay for a program (looks like it's around $87k at the Brampton flight centre for the IATPL program).

So I just wanted to see things that people love and hate about being an airline pilot! Maybe this will help me look at whether or not I really am up for the challenge.

Here are some points I'd love insight on but I'd love to hear any experience you'd like to share!

What are some annoying things about your job?
How does your career trajectory look?
Anyone still get nervous before a flight? :rolleyes:
How many hours do you put in monthly?
Do you feel like your salary matches the hours you put in?
What are some cool experiences you've had? Have you flown celebrities or political figures in your planes?
How is your family life like?
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

Post by leftoftrack »

pilots lack self awareness, they're terrible people.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

Post by ant_321 »

I’ll give it a go. Obviously we are in very uncertain times right now so I’ll base my info off of before the pandemic.

-long days
-seniority system that can more or less put you in “golden handcuffs” once you get to a certain point in a company
-the shitty starting pay

- before the pandemic great, now who knows?

I don’t.

-not sure of my total hours at work but I typically work 11-13 days. Sometimes out and back in the same day, sometimes up to 7 days away.

-not really, especially true the first few years at most companies.

What are some cool experiences you've had? Have you flown celebrities or political figures in your planes?
- low flying over the ocean looking up at icebergs, living in Europe for a few months at a time, exploring cool cities with the crew.
- flown a bunch of politicians, a few smaller celebrities, a Wall Street billionaire and probably the coolest and nicest guy, Fred Penner.

- Great. If being home for holiday’s and special events are a priority for you then look elsewhere. If you want to have 10-20+ days off a month to spend with your friends and family it’s great. As long as you have an understanding partner. I know guys who have been pretty miserable because of the pressure from pissed off family after having to work their 5th Xmas, anniversary, birthday... in a row.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Sure, why not.

Being on call has it's down sides. If you're junior getting the days you want off can be a bit of a challenge. Really nothing too drastic, I still love what I do.

Pretty stagnant at the moment. Airlines were never going to be my cup of tea, but I work at a company which I love, get paid a respectable wage and live a life that I love... so it's not too bad.

Anyone still get nervous before a flight?

No, not really. Occasionally letting the junior pilots learn from making mistakes can be a little stressful, but generally speaking no. I get paid to know when to say no, and that decision is always respected.

Hard to say a hard number... I fly about 45 on average. so realistically probable about 100 or so hours a month of duty time. I average working about 7-10 days a month.

I would say I get paid about $100 per duty hour, which I think is a fair price. Last year was somewhere just north of 120k, the year before was 108k, this year will be less, but I'm working a lot less.

I've flown floats, worked as a test pilot, delivered aircraft around the world, worked in most of the continents, I've flown political heads of states, a few members of royalty, celebrities of various descriptions, a lot of assholes and also quite a few good people. There are too many experiences to name, and there are always more.

Home essentially every night, get most of the days off I want. Again, can't really complain

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Having to keep track of my pay credits. Sometimes crew sked/ops misses things and it adds up if I'm not paying attention

Before, it was great. Now I haven't the slightest clue given the current conditions

No. I look forward to it.

around 50-60 flying hours. Duty is close to 80 and more, which I don't mind since it's paid at time and a half.

Underpaid for sure, as are most pilots in Canada

Flown many NHL players, major news anchors, big wig CEO's and a couple of celebrities (no A listers)

Right now pretty good LOL

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

At the moment the complete lack of a roster - it's one day at at a time.

Looks like I will be flying in June and July - no idea what happens after that.

Never - at the moment the safest place is onboard with a small group of colleagues imho.

Extremely variable at the moment. Anywhere from 7.5 to 75 depending on flights.

I'm happy just to be working and getting paid. The name of the game now is SURVIVAL.

Met a lot of new colleagues as I'm not doing the flights I normally do - everyone has been great to work with.
Flew Eastbound around the World 3 times in May.
Didn't know you could fly my aircraft type 16 hours non stop with a 25000kg payload.
Flew the President of the country when I worked for their Airline.

Presently in Quarantine for 14 days (can't leave the room!). Expect that to continue on and off for the next several months. Glad to be single - feel for the guys with families. Colleagues are having to make very tough choices.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Last edited by RVR6000 on Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Other departments. Flight operations have great colleagues. Unfortunately other departments pay peanuts now, so as the saying goes... Sometimes (most of the time) we have to be proactive and hold other departments feet to the fire.

Delays and not getting paid for them.

Great. Got hired young at a major airline. Stangnation is what it is in the short term. I have lots of years left. As long as we still fly airplanes in 30 years I'll be good.

Anyone still get nervous before a flight?

Depends if it's my leg or not.

Anywhere from 30-90 hours in the jet per month. Time away from base varies anywhere from 50 hours to over 200 hours away from home a month.

We are under paid compared to US airlines. I also get taxed way too much. My take home should be higher, okay with my gross salary which should still be better considering the fact we live in expensive cities and such. I did do OT last year and earned about 280k with taking about a month off for parental leave. This year will be lower due to COVID.

What are some cool experiences you've had?

Too many to name, but they were mostly from other jobs, flying up north and such.

Have you flown celebrities or political figures in your planes?

Yes, NHL teams, JT when leader of opposition, a bunch others.

Very good. Home most nights. Control of my schedule etc.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

yolosweg wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 pm Basically the title: Commercial Airline Pilots: What are some things you love and hate about your job?

Where my question is coming from: I just completed my engineering degree and I was thinking about careers that 5 years ago would have been unrealistic for me--a career in flying being one. I never considered it back then due to a mixture of being scared it won't work out and the fact that I didn't really know much about it (or know someone in it).

But recently I've been reading a few threads of people in their 30s /40s becoming airline pilots and I was just thinking "hey why not me?". I don't know if this is a stupid idea, but I was thinking about working in engineering for maybe 3-4 years and basically saving some money to pay for a program (looks like it's around $87k at the Brampton flight centre for the IATPL program).

So I just wanted to see things that people love and hate about being an airline pilot! Maybe this will help me look at whether or not I really am up for the challenge.

Here are some points I'd love insight on but I'd love to hear any experience you'd like to share!

I wouldn't recommend flying as a career as long as you don't hate engineering. Get a well paid engineering job and do it as a hobby. I have an engineering degree and am currently laid off from my airline and trying to return to engineering work.

I didn't become a pilot for the money, women or prestige. I love flying and that's why I did it. The industry in Canada sucks for new pilots for a long time - low pay (I made 15k for my first 2 years and still only make 50k five years in), low job stability and working for sketchy operators. The industry depends on luck and timing and not so much on skill as its all seniority based at the airline level. It does turn out to be a good career for some who stick with it however it must be said that these people also paid their dues over many years just like everyone else in the industry.

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Otto Pilot »

The job is great! - I despise getting called out but once I am there it's always fun. Career wise where I am now - I am trying to find something better or more suitable for myself. I work around 21 days a month which is a huge bummer and the pay does not match the amount of work we put in. My "cool" experience would only be flying into small strips in the north yet it does get very old quick. Flying floats was some of most fun though! I am home every night which is a plus. If you want to try it out as a career and have the resources to have everything completed quick I would say give it a try. Who knows the industry could jump back quick !

Return to “General Comments”