Hanging up the headset... anyone done it ? Anyone thinking of it?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Hanging up the headset... anyone done it ? Anyone thinking of it?

Post by Kejidog »

Why has nobody, as far as i can see anyway talked about switching to a job for Nav Can as a FSS or a controller? Is it that hard to get into? Are their age limits on applying. Hell i have 30 years as a firefighter and i am 51. I’ve thought about a change to FSS or something similar lately.
---------- ADS -----------

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

Kejidog wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:46 pm Why has nobody, as far as i can see anyway talked about switching to a job for Nav Can as a FSS or a controller? Is it that hard to get into? Are their age limits on applying. Hell i have 30 years as a firefighter and i am 51. I’ve thought about a change to FSS or something similar lately.
I had a conversation with a center guy in the middle of the night recently (I was the only aircraft in the sky) and he said out of their usual group of 26 personnel they were down to 5. So I don't think they're hiring either.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Got my licenses in 2007 had a good job in 2008 and got laid off. Spent 4 years working various jobs and ramp positions because at 400 hrs i couldn't find anything. In 2012 I hung up my headset and became a long haul trucker. Same job basically but was killer on my personal life and health. Got married in 2018 and in 2019 got back into flying. Built up to about 800 hrs and moved to Medevac in February of 2020. Have survived these lay-offs because of that. It comes down to luck sometimes.

Return to “General Comments”