Validating FAA medical to TC

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jdhowell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Validating FAA medical to TC

Post by Jdhowell »

Looking for a little guidance from someone who has gone through the process.

I hold an FAA ATP only and would like to convert to a TC ATP. Since the first step is getting a medical, I was wondering if anyone had gone through the process of getting TC to issue a Canadian medical based on an FAA First Class medical? If so, was it a long process or a total pain in the butt (paperwork and red tape come to mind)?

My last medical was done in March by Dre Thériault at Total Med in Montreal. Maybe that helps, since I did it in Canada?
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Validating FAA medical to TC

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

You need a transport Canada medical. You can’t be issued one based on the fact that you hold a Cat 1 FAA. Just like holders of a Canadian ATPL must get an FAA medical if they wish to convert to a US licence. At least that’s how I read the advisory circular.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Agree with PostmasterGeneral - there's no ability to get a Canadian Medical based on any other country medical. The Transport Canada medical must be done by a CAME: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/CAME-MEAC/l.aspx . However, if you're not living in Canada, Transport Canada will allow any Aviation Medical Examier from a ICAO member state to complete the Canadian Medical. However, I believe the doctor you mention is also a CAME - go chat with them.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Not entirely true. You have to contact TC and they will provide the correct form for the foreign doctor. The FAA needs to send their paperwork once they've processed it directly to Transport Canada, and TC will send a sticker, after the appropriate fee. It's easier to just have a doctor in Canada that can do FAA, do both at the same time.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

I did the conversion last year.
It was easiest to just go to a Canadian doctor and do the medical.
No hassle, it took about a month to get it since my doctors office sat on it for 10 days before sending it.
Not sure about now with Covid delaying everything.

Return to “General Comments”