A mess to regain confidence.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: A mess to regain confidence.

Post by iflyforpie »

I wonder how many DNR octogenarians each of us has killed with contact spread MSRA that resulted in bacterial pneumonia over the years? I wonder how many COVID “victims” died of just that, but they were swabbed positive for COVID and differentially diagnosed when most times we wouldn’t have bothered.

It’s a mad rush for funding since the floodgates are open, and any way to increase the numbers is a good thing. That’s why testing is important—not just for contact tracing or isolation. Saw the same thing in forestry. BC had xxxxx number of forest fires last year but hundreds of them were warm-ish abandoned campfires that weren’t going anywhere in a million years.

When all we’ve done is move to a hub-and-spoke system where someone in every household goes to the grocery store once a week or more, you’re not stopping anything. Keeping 2m away from anyone else does nothing to stop an infected person from creating a 4m wide swath of potentially infectious surfaces.

The idea that going to Hooters will cause a massive second wave is laughable.

The curve has flattened but thanks to the reactionary and shotgun approach to policies, nobody knows what exactly flattened it. Personally, I think it was better hand hygiene and wearing masks—not quarantine.

Turn the hospitals and extended care units and retirement residences into Level 4 biohazard containment with the billions the Liberals are pissing away and let the rest of us get on with our lives where COVID is literally one of the least risky aspects of it.
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

iflyforpie wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 am

The idea that going to Hooters will cause a massive second wave is laughable.
That noise you just heard was a joke whooshing over your head.

"Flattening the curve" was the term used to describe getting the exponential increase in cases under control which even the Americans have done to some degree. The Americans though never brought the number of active cases down as so many other places did (notable exceptions like New York) and have now started to spike again in several states thanks to nonexistent attention spans forgetting there's still a virus out there.

Distancing has been proven to work (what do you think isolating is?) and if that's not possible other measures including masks minimize the risk particularly with low infection rates to begin with. That's where we're trying to end up and for the most part have succeeded, as long as we don't @#$! it up again by being stupid.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Rockie wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:04 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Exactly...the perennial purveyors of doom will always be around.

466,000 dead world wide. 8400 dead in Canada. And of course the 120,000 dead in the US that is climbing by 1000 per day.
Those deaths aren't in a vacuum, though...the 'real' death numbers would be the deaths caused by CV that are in excess of the underlying normal death rate

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

mmm..bacon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 am

466,000 dead world wide. 8400 dead in Canada. And of course the 120,000 dead in the US that is climbing by 1000 per day.
Those deaths aren't in a vacuum, though...the 'real' death numbers would be the deaths caused by CV that are in excess of the underlying normal death rate
Those are confirmed Covid-19 deaths from the sites below, and they state they are probably low for a number of reasons. As I think you are saying above, the number of deaths above the historical record for the same period could be higher, but measuring that is very difficult due to lack of detailed statistics in developing parts of the world. I don't know how North America stacks up there.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/ ... N~OWID_WRL

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of those who have died from Covid-19 would be dead by now anyways? If so....not sure, could be possible.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^Pelmet, no, although for people in their mid-80's, that is, of course, an unfortunate possibility. I was getting at the concept of 'Excess Mortality' - as outlined in Rockie's first link above yours. [As usual, I though that I had come up with a brilliant, original idea, only to find that someone older than me had come up with it first! LOL!]

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

That confidence taking a major hit down south today.....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:02 pm

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of those who have died from Covid-19 would be dead by now anyways? If so....not sure, could be possible.
Data:
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detai ... -countries

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 pm Actually as of April 6th the number of worldwide confirmed cases reported to the WHO is 1,210,244 with the number of related deaths standing at 67,583. Now there are a several caveats to go along with those numbers but to save you the trouble of doing the math yourseelf that equals a 5.58% mortality rate.

But what are stats and medical expertise against the awe inspiring mental powers of Professor Pelmet? We should all bow...
U.S. health officials estimate 20 million Americans have had coronavirus.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4999818

This is why you should not listen to incompetents like Rockie. I have proven him wrong on every topic I have debated him on. Now you do the math and figure out the death rate. 5.58% is what he said as he demands to public officials to continue rules that result in you losing your career(while he is comfortably retired)....Not even close to the mortality rate he said. Now lets open up and get back to normal with vulnerable people quarantining.

America is going herd.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

pelmet wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:04 pm
Rockie wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 pm Actually as of April 6th the number of worldwide confirmed cases reported to the WHO is 1,210,244 with the number of related deaths standing at 67,583. Now there are a several caveats to go along with those numbers but to save you the trouble of doing the math yourseelf that equals a 5.58% mortality rate.

But what are stats and medical expertise against the awe inspiring mental powers of Professor Pelmet? We should all bow...

This is why you should not listen to incompetents like Rockie. I have proven him wrong on every topic I have debated him on. Now you do the math and figure out the death rate. 5.58% is what he said as he demands to public officials to continue rules that result in you losing your career(while he is comfortably retired)....Not even close to the mortality rate he said. Now lets open up and get back to normal with vulnerable people quarantining.

America is going herd.
Yah, sounds like it’s working out great for them

There are 198 Adult Intensive Care Unit beds available in the state, or 12%, as of Wednesday, state data shows. There are currently 1,495 ICU beds, or 88%, in use.

GILES: Humble said it's not too late to reverse Arizona's troubling trends. He said the governor should issue a new executive order requiring that Arizonans wear face masks and allow local governments to put in place restrictions stronger than the state's recommendations. State officials are developing a mask awareness campaign that may launch next week.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:57 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:04 pm

America is going herd.
Yah, sounds like it’s working out great for them

There are 198 Adult Intensive Care Unit beds available in the state, or 12%, as of Wednesday, state data shows. There are currently 1,495 ICU beds, or 88%, in use.
Flattening the curve means that the hospitals can cover the number pf patients. So far, they are below capacity. Hopefully, it stays that way.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Unfortunately, if you use lockdowns to flatten the curve, it no longer stays flat when you lift such restrictions, as we are now seeing in certain states. In less that two weeks from now, they are projecting ICU’s beyond surge capacity.
Here we go again.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:16 am Unfortunately, if you use lockdowns to flatten the curve, it no longer stays flat when you lift such restrictions, as we are now seeing in certain states. In less that two weeks from now, they are projecting ICU’s beyond surge capacity.
Here we go again.
It probably will happen because the vulnerable are not quarantined. That will be the responsibility of the leaders of both parties.

Instead, some will want to shut down the entire economy again instead of the appropriate 5% of it.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

The virus is as impervious to stupidity as Pelmet is to facts. Unfortunately in Canada we are stuck right next to the epicenter of stupidity and that is going to greatly delay our own recovery as we will need to keep the border closed until America grabs a brain.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Things would have to get pretty bad (as in people keeling over in the streets foaming at the mouth bad) in a lot of states in the U.S for them to close down their economies again. There just isn't the will in either the politicians or the people to do that again in my opinion.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I don’t think they’ll have a choice, the only question is how bad it will get before they’re inevitably forced to their knees. The number of infections there never dropped to where it should have because they foolishly reopened too fast, and even more foolishly without taking the necessary precautions to prevent a resurgence. Now infections are just shy of their worst levels and are again increasing exponentially. The pain of the closure the last four months has been completely wasted and now things will get much, much worse.

The virus doesn’t have a brain but it ruthlessly punishes stupidity.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

pelmet wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 amInstead, some will want to shut down the entire economy again instead of the appropriate 5% of it.
Get this man in the White House already!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Both Sweden's plan (just protect high risk) and Canada's plan (selective closures without complete lockdown) seem reasonable plans. The US simply doesn't have a plan, and is actively pushing dangerous pseudoscience. Fucking weird. Who would have thought the US would sink to that level?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:21 am The virus is as impervious to stupidity as Pelmet is to facts. Unfortunately in Canada we are stuck right next to the epicenter of stupidity and that is going to greatly delay our own recovery as we will need to keep the border closed until America grabs a brain.
Thanks for telling us the facts Rockie....like your totally fake death rate that I quoted.

You are a fraud, whether on this or the fraudelent information you have passed along about aviation.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 am Who would have thought the US would sink to that level?

As it turns out, a bit over half of the Americans and pretty much the entire rest of the world.

Return to “General Comments”