17.5 Million Dollar Man....BBD

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 17.5 Million Dollar Man....BBD

Post by ayseven »

How on earth can you compare a guy making obscene money for ruining a perfectly good company, that WE (you and I) propped up for all these years, with the average schmoe on a government scheme? It sounds like typical bottom-feeder mentality at work. Guys at the top, who make that filthy amount this Bombardier guy has been making, just laugh at the rest of us. C'mon!
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

ayseven wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:34 am How on earth can you compare a guy making obscene money for ruining a perfectly good company, that WE (you and I) propped up for all these years, with the average schmoe on a government scheme? It sounds like typical bottom-feeder mentality at work. Guys at the top, who make that filthy amount this Bombardier guy has been making, just laugh at the rest of us. C'mon!
I asked but not answered: why is taking as much as one can get away with wrong when it's $17 million and just fine when it's $2,000?

Set aside those who don't need it, but are entitled and claim it, for the moment. Then there's the deliberate fraud: StatsCan estimates nearly 3 million fraudulent CERB claims. That's $4 billion dollars (conservative 2 million claims x $2,000) a month. But it's ok because the individual amounts are going to "average schmoes"? Agree to disagree. And this is only one program.

Fraud and error under CERB may be even worse than we thought

I think it does suck that a terrible performance by a CEO is rewarded with a big payout. But perhaps "average schmoes" shouldn't be throwing stones, hmmm?

A follow-up question: what is the magic number at which a sum of money becomes "obscene" or "filthy"? I guess it's somewhere between 2,000 and 17,000,000? Or is it as I suspect, "any amount more than I get"?

And if you think 17 mil is bad, I guess it's not great that the national debt is on track to hit a trillion...

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:59 am
A follow-up question: what is the magic number at which a sum of money becomes "obscene" or "filthy"? I guess it's somewhere between 2,000 and 17,000,000? Or is it as I suspect, "any amount more than I get"?

And if you think 17 mil is bad, I guess it's not great that the national debt is on track to hit a trillion...
How about zero?

That's what I've gotten, as a small business person.

To our current government, "small business are nothing more that tax cheats" -- I'm quoting our current finance minister and that has been his position all along.
So where's my million bucks?

But the CEO of BBD wrecked a world class company and gets 17 million.

Our governments say he's "deserving" of this money. Because he's in Quebec,I suppose.

Quebec company -- "they deserve it".
Alberta company --- F --- off.

You don't have a problem Complex with governments favouring different groups to buy elections?

We are no better than any third world dictatorship. No better.

That's what's offensive.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

The difference, since we are not letting it go, between $2000 and 17 + million, is that the guy getting the 17 was a handpicked crony of somebody, and the guy getting $2000 was pretty much given the same shot as the next person. THAT is the difference. The guy is a greedy pig. Nothing else. How about a bit of decency for the workers that had to be let go, nevermind me and you, the taxpayer? I support Canadian business whenever possible, and I was proud of Bombardier; and I did not (happily might be too strong a word) put money in expecting them to give away a whole division for nothing, or this.

Small businesses are ripped off every bloody step of the way, but if you are big enough, well, that is another story. I do not use the term ripped off lightly. They are little fish, and the government use pit lamping and fish finders to nail them for as much as they can. That being said, all it does is raise blood pressure thinking about those fat cats like the Bombardier guy, and we only live once.

OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OldTracker »

And as far as I’m concerned, I’m not getting money from the government: They’re just returning MY money that I’ve contributed.
[/quote]

I wonder.
I thought your Gov't old age cheques at age 60 and 65 covered getting what you paid into the Gov't. Not this kind of payment. It has to come from somewhere this CERB etc.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Ok, aaaand?
Some dead guy is paying me right now. When I’m dead I’ll be financing Joe Blow who lost his job because of the economic fallout of World War V.
Just paying it forward. Either way, I’m getting my moneys worth.

redbaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redbaron »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:40 am To our current government, "small business are nothing more that tax cheats" -- I'm quoting our current finance minister and that has been his position all along.
Got a source for that?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

redbaron wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:30 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:40 am To our current government, "small business are nothing more that tax cheats" -- I'm quoting our current finance minister and that has been his position all along.
Got a source for that?
I too would like to see a source for that. I can't find anywhere in a speech or statement that Morneau said those words. The Financial Post did a story on whether Trudeau unfairly smeared small business owners as tax cheats;

https://business.financialpost.com/mana ... ax-dodgers

As well I can find other people's statements like this; "Mr. Kelly said small business owners remain upset with the changes, as well as the perception at the time that Mr. Morneau painted small business owners as tax cheats." (bold added by me)

As everything any politician says is a matter of public record these day, I would welcome seeing a factual reference to a speech or interview where Morneau actually said the words "small business are nothing more that tax cheats".

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I’ll run a company into the ground with public dollars for half that amount.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ I see that your price has gone up, Pie..it used to be $500.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:59 am I asked but not answered: why is taking as much as one can get away with wrong when it's $17 million and just fine when it's $2,000?

You know what, you're absolutely right. The world is only black and white. There are no shades of grey. Scale is meaningless. There is no difference between the people in this world who struggle financially and the already unimaginably wealthy CEOs who are further rewarded handsomely for reaching the apex of their own personal Peter principle. Whether an incompetent yet carefree Alain Bellemare enjoying the summer on a boat or at a summer house somewhere exclusive, or an unemployed waitress worried about what the next month will bring for you financially, clearly in a mind of complex intentions both are equally heroic or human scum.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Maybe they will name it Bumbardier from now on since they're still bumming money off the Canadian taxpayer.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”