Fixed wing to chopper

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Fixed wing to chopper

Post by Otto Pilot »

Hey just wondering if anyone has made this change. If so where in Canada is cheap to do so? Do you still fly both? Was it worth it? How many hours can you transfer from fixed wing? I've always been interested in heli, so any info would be fantastic.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Fixed wing to chopper

Post by PilotDAR »

I did it many years ago, and quite enjoyed it. Some number of FW hours are credited toward RW, though I don't recall how many (it's not as much as half). I did not enjoy flying the R22 (I know some people do, just not me), so I found a school with Schweizer 300's, which I loved. Sadly, the school sold them when I finished my PPLH, and ceased offering training due to ridiculous Ontario college regulations. Honestly, to get yourself ready for the need for quick feet on the pedals, do a bunch of tailwheel flying first, it'll liven up your feet, and allow you to adapt faster to RW. I still fly RW very occasionally with a friend, though I could not justify the operating cost of a helicopter just for my flying enjoyment.

Bear in mind that it will be much more difficult to "rent" a helicopter post license. For that reason, I spent three years getting my PPLH. Not because it took that long, but rather so I could take the helicopter on solo cross countries as a student, because the school fore warned me that once I had the PPLH, I could no longer take the helicopter solo due to their insurance (student solo yes, PPLH solo no).

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

PPL-A to PPL-H requires 30 hours. Most of the people I know who did this was more like 50. I did CPL-A to CPL-H a few years ago in the minimum 60 hours but I went at it hard flying several times a week. In both cases there is a small (?20? questions) exam focusing on helicopter aerodynamics and a few of the CARS that specifically apply.

There is no (and to be honest shouldn't be) anywhere "cheap" to get a helicopter license. Helicopters just cost more to operate safely and experienced instructors aren't a dime a dozen. Its not going to get cheaper anytime soon with SEVERAL years of 50-100% annual increases in insurance premiums.

As PilotDAR said, make sure you figure out how to get access to a helicopter afterwards.

Was it worth it? YES! its the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

CAR 421.31 for license requirements and credited hours. It's not cheap, anywhere. MIN 40gs probably for a conversion and you cannot rent helicopters in Canada.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I transitioned to a chopper easily - and cheaply.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ninja-expr ... lsrc=aw.ds

Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Big Bird Anonymous »

Don't call it a "chopper". You won't fit in.

Anti-antivaxxer
Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Otto Pilot wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 pm Hey just wondering if anyone has made this change. If so where in Canada is cheap to do so? Do you still fly both? Was it worth it? How many hours can you transfer from fixed wing? I've always been interested in heli, so any info would be fantastic.
I did both, I currently fly 705 Boeing and lucky me...not furloughed so far.
I enjoyed my time in the heli industry, but I far much enjoy airline life. I can have a life LOL.
If you choose to go rotary, remember that it will take many hours to reach the point you are marketable. With COVID, standards might be increased. Spend wisely. Good luck as it’s a great industry...once you get in

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Otto Pilot »

Big Bird Anonymous wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 am Don't call it a "chopper". You won't fit in.
Don't know if you have to fit in. Aren't heli lads like goalies of the aviation industry?

Just poking fun!

rehande
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rehande »

Hi,
According to me, to fly helicopter is a passion first than profession. Transition is very easy. Only one exam needs to write. 20 questions only. I would recommend go to Chinook Helicopters Ltd.
Keep in mind, its a very different gig compare to fixed wing. Most of the flying will be away from your home. Specially summer season. Once you will hit 1500 to 2000 hours, then you will be start making reasonable money. But my personal advise is try to find a company who does most of the long lining work. I know few guys they started working with 100 hrs only and within 3 to 4 years they have gained close to 1000 hours. First 5 years would be tough but after that the path would be easy.

Good luck.

Return to “General Comments”