Flying to YUL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flying to YUL

Post by ShawnR »

I sold my Warrior and part of the deal is that I fly it to Montreal, YUL in particular but other options have been discussed. I am wondering if this is a good idea or not. The buyer pointed out that air traffic is very low right now. That would be beneficial, but I have limited experience with large airports. YQT and Hamilton would be the only ones with towers. Most have been North Western Ontario so uncontrolled. The couple times I passed through Toronto airspace, it was fairly quiet, I think, so I got lucky. The controllers I did talk to were great.

Anybody do general aviation into Trudeau Airport? The buyer said maybe Les Cedres and then someone could accompany into Trudeau.
Will I have any language issues being non French? I know theoretically, absolutely not, but realistically.....?

Any pointers or advice?

Thanks
Shawn
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ShawnR on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flying to YUL

Post by digits_ »

It's just an airport. No issues if you don't speak French.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

If you've flown into Hamilton then you can handle Montreal. English is totally fine.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Just let the controllers know when you first talk to them that you are unfamiliar with the airport and area. That way you won't be cleared to any obscure locations that you are not familiar with.

You could also call ahead and ask what the best time to arrive is - that way you avoid ending up in the middle of an arrival peak.

Only 1 runway open (at least that was the case a few weeks ago) 24L/06R - no need to worry about which runway is in use!

Enjoy the experience!

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

Flown into YUL many times in an Archer both VFR & IFR, A non issue. Super friendly and I never got the sense that I was unwelcome. If you contact ATC in English they will continue in English. As mentioned above tell the controller that you are new to the airport and they will guide you. If VFR get flight following from your departure point and you will get passed along the different sectors. Easiest and safest way.

In terms of FBO's you're best bet is Shell Aerocentre however you might want to call ahead just to make sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by PAJ on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Really easy. Plenty of GA traffic in there. All the FBO's are on the north end. Taxiing is nothing like YYZ.
You'll get terminal, approach, then tower. As mentioned, just tell them you have no idea where you are or what you're doing and you'll be fine! :) But really, they'll guide you right along.

French vs English isn't an issue (cough). You'll hear French, it's the controllers addressing other aircraft in their chosen language, and while it's a little unnerving (cough) hearing traffic around you and having no idea what they're doing, at least know the controllers understand that as well.
They are very good at translating and relaying info, pireps, etc from other pilots speaking either language.

Just pay a little attention to the runway work. They've been doing a lot lately. The notams give an approximate time slot for the closures but not always accurate. Regardless you'll get vectors and guidance.

Where are you coming from?

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

The hardest part of large airports is taxing. Make sure you have the right taxiway map ready to go (last time I went to YUL, I had the one without the taxiway identifiers up on my iPad :roll: :oops: ). If necessary or just to make things easier, ask for progressive taxi instructions.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Thanks everyone for the reassuring information. I will be going from Thunder Bay. It will also be the Cross Country for my CPL application, should I ever get to finish that up....(COVID)....;-) The other trips I have done in the past were done outside of my official CPL training and there are different opinions as to whether or not they qualify, depending on how one interprets the regs. There is a whole other thread on that topic though so no need to revisit it here. To be sure I submit a complete application, I figured do YQT to YUL as a cross country, plus the buyer wanted it there rather than come get it. I am not going for a couple of weeks yet but thought I should start asking questions...and getting current VNC's since I need to use the printed ones for the exercise.

Nice to hear that progressive taxi is an option there. I have never used that option before. I think my trip into Hamilton, I told them I was unfamiliar and it worked out well.I think that was about 15 years ago. Good to hear that Montreal would be good with that too.

I think the experience will be great! Will probably make me sorry I sold the Warrior.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Shawn

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

If you can take a friend, who is at least useful in the cockpit with you, if not a pilot. They can help navigate the ground portion, tune your radios and allow you to keep your eyes out. Besides it is always more fun with a friend!

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

200hr Wonder wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:48 pm If you can take a friend, who is at least useful in the cockpit with you, if not a pilot. They can help navigate the ground portion, tune your radios and allow you to keep your eyes out. Besides it is always more fun with a friend!
True. My plane partner is going with me. He is working on his PPL but not quite there yet. The experience will be good for him too I think.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ShawnR wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 pm Thanks everyone for the reassuring information. I will be going from Thunder Bay. It will also be the Cross Country for my CPL application, should I ever get to finish that up....(COVID)....;-) The other trips I have done in the past were done outside of my official CPL training and there are different opinions as to whether or not they qualify, depending on how one interprets the regs. There is a whole other thread on that topic though so no need to revisit it here. To be sure I submit a complete application, I figured do YQT to YUL as a cross country, plus the buyer wanted it there rather than come get it. I am not going for a couple of weeks yet but thought I should start asking questions...and getting current VNC's since I need to use the printed ones for the exercise.

Nice to hear that progressive taxi is an option there. I have never used that option before. I think my trip into Hamilton, I told them I was unfamiliar and it worked out well.I think that was about 15 years ago. Good to hear that Montreal would be good with that too.

I think the experience will be great! Will probably make me sorry I sold the Warrior.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Shawn
What will be your routing from YQT? Just curious as there is a healthy chunk of space you'll be below both radar and radio contact on your way down.

Suggest a spot device or at least tell a responsible person your route to back up your filed flight plan.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm
What will be your routing from YQT? Just curious as there is a healthy chunk of space you'll be below both radar and radio contact on your way down.

Suggest a spot device or at least tell a responsible person your route to back up your filed flight plan.
[/quote]

Yes, I have a SPOT Messenger that I will use. I only really started looking at the flight options today. I have a nephew in North Bay so going that far, then flying in to Trudeau fresh(er) might be better than tackling Montreal after a full day of flying. Sudbury as a stop over ...not sure yet. I will want a few stops on the way if for nothing else than to satisfy the requirements of the CPL. I have landed at Wawa and Elliot lake in the past. Guelph too once and Owen Sound but if I end up in that area, then I think I blew the navigating part....

Not much else though considered. Weather, of course, might become the deciding factor. Our return flights are booked so get as far as we can and the buyer can coming to get it when weather clears might be the last resort. Once, I spent a few days in Hamilton, trying to get a plane home, looking at low ceilings and then finally hitched a ride home with a friendly local charter that was heading back to YQT. I went back a few weeks later for the plane when weather was good all day so I am a little familiar with stranded pilot syndrome.

Thanks for the input! The more I talk about it, the more I am looking forward to it.

Shawno

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ShawnR wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:46 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Yes, I have a SPOT Messenger that I will use. I only really started looking at the flight options today. I have a nephew in North Bay so going that far, then flying in to Trudeau fresh(er) might be better than tackling Montreal after a full day of flying. Sudbury as a stop over ...not sure yet. I will want a few stops on the way if for nothing else than to satisfy the requirements of the CPL. I have landed at Wawa and Elliot lake in the past. Guelph too once and Owen Sound but if I end up in that area, then I think I blew the navigating part....

Not much else though considered. Weather, of course, might become the deciding factor. Our return flights are booked so get as far as we can and the buyer can coming to get it when weather clears might be the last resort. Once, I spent a few days in Hamilton, trying to get a plane home, looking at low ceilings and then finally hitched a ride home with a friendly local charter that was heading back to YQT. I went back a few weeks later for the plane when weather was good all day so I am a little familiar with stranded pilot syndrome.

Thanks for the input! The more I talk about it, the more I am looking forward to it.

Shawno
[/quote]

Cool. I would be too.

If I remember correctly it's @100 NM Toronto centre couldn't hear me at 9000, around the marathon area. Sounds like you've done that part before. As others have said YUL is no biggie.

Getting lost on the ground is the worst thing that's happened to me at those places, you can ask for progressive taxi if any concern.

Enjoy. Flying down the Ottawa valley is very nice, along the river. You'll probably transit Ottawa terminal and then back over to MTL centre.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

As others have said, YUL is still very quiet right now. There’s only one runway in use, 06R/24L. Assuming that you are parking at an FBO, the taxi route should be simple. When in doubt, stop. They’ll notice you’ve stopped, and offer progressive. Don’t forget to leave your transponder on, until engine shutdown. Depending on time of day, you might not even have to change frequencies from tower after landing. That’s, sadly, just how quiet it is right now.

If you get confused or flustered, don’t let it get to you. Even airline guys/gals make mistakes.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I think you'll find the worst part of a larger & unfamiliar airport is the ground taxi portion. Once I stopped in the middle of a taxi at a large airport to double check the map (at night too!). The controller called me up and asked if I needed assistance. My response was yes, I'm possibly lost. They were very good and gave me progressive instructions from that point. If you need it just ask for help, that's what the controllers are there for.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Also, as a courtesy, you can ask the arrival controller to pass on the message that this is your first time arriving at this airport. This helps when clearing the runway and ground gives out a taxi clearance faster then you can write down and/or follow on a chart. It also helps to advise the controller where you'll be going to on the field, so that they can give you progressive taxi clearance. Have fun, and be nice to the controllers.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

@ShawnR

Just thought of one more thing you can do (if you have time).

You could see if it is possible to visit the Tower or other ATC facilities on the airport. Always nice to meet the people on the other end of the radio and see they are just like you.

Not sure what is possible in the present situation - but you can always ask.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Thanks again for all of the input. With the info gained here, I am feeling good about the trip.

@Eric
I have visited YQT tower a couple of times. The controllers are great. I usually try to buy their time with treats.... Not sure I would have time on this trip. But I will keep that in mind for future adventures

Thanks
Cheers,
Shawno

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

The trip to Trudeau International is complete. It was a great trip, all in all. Nice tailwind YQT to Elliot Lake, then the next day, a stop in North Bay and straight into Trudeau, again with a tailwind. As was mentioned here, the controllers all along the way, with flight following and YUL, were great. I don't think I have used flight following in the past (It has been many years ) but they did advise me of a couple of possible conflicts along the way so nice to have them watching.
After doing that, kind of sorry I sold it. Spent a whole day in Montreal. Pretty quiet there. You can't help but feel bad for the business operators. It was pretty quiet.

Thanks again everyone! Your comments and input made me tackle the adventure and it was a good one!

Time to look for the next plane and maybe actually do some more cross countries with it!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Cool.
And tailwinds are always nice....

Return to “General Comments”