Is the Class C Control Zone at Langley Airport Dysfunctional?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nvcatc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is the Class C Control Zone at Langley Airport Dysfunctional?

Post by nvcatc »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm This kind of help -- IS offered by other ATC facilities when a wait or course change is required. It's ATC's role to create safe solutions and offer them -- IMO...

Or is the onus on the low time PPL to argue for it and deny a clearance?
The majority of controllers are not/were not pilots. I don't know how to fly a plane, I just know the relative performance capabilities of the aircraft I usually talk too. If a controller issues a clearance or instruction that an aircraft is not capable of doing, or that makes the pilot uncomfortable, it is up to the pilot to say so. If you can't comply, that's fine - you just need to tell me and I will come up with another solution.
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm Seems to me Nav Canadas refusal to properly staff their facility puts the 2 sides in exactly that position.

Staff it properly. I'm personally not interested in any story how "it's too expensive".

Other facilities don't seem to have this issue, which clearly points to the management in your area.
Nav Canada is not refusing to staff any specialty, and has never said that training is too expensive. Training is expensive, that's a fact (especially considering the low success rates), but it's not stopping them from doing it. Nav Canada is trying to staff all specialties and towers, but as has been mentioned earlier, only so many trainees can be on board at any given time without overloading each specialty/tower. And even at max capacity, not every trainee gets a license - not even half for IFR. Then add in that existing controllers can lose their medicals, retire, move, etc, and you can see that it's not as easy as just pulling a few people off the street and sticking them in chairs to increase capacity.

Does that mean you can't feel frustrated as a pilot when the service you want is unavailable? Of course not. But understand we're doing what we have to do to keep everyone safe. Training is ongoing to get more controllers, but it's a slow process and attrition can potentially nullify each new license we get, which makes it even slower. Not trying to make excuses, but it's really frustrating as a controller to hear "you need to staff up" because we are trying, but licenses don't happen over night.

To your last point that I quoted, again every specialty is different, so suggesting "[X] location does it so you should be able to too" isn't that straight forward. Some areas have very simple procedures and traffic flows, among other things (terrain, minimum altitude shelves, underlying airports, radar/frequency site locations, surrounding ATC units, special use airspace, etc), and some are very complex. Vancouver terminal is notoriously complex, which adds to the reasons why they may restrict VFR on a given day and why it takes longer to increase staffing. Is the system perfect? No. But your anger towards them isn't fair either, they're not sitting there laughing at the VFR aircraft that was just denied entry while they sit back twiddling their thumbs. They are doing what they need to do to keep everyone safe, and priority rightly goes to IFR traffic.

The point of this thread just seems to be to bash controllers as dysfunctional and lazy. More goes on behind the scenes than what pilots hear on frequency, but some here don't seem to want to accept the bigger picture. I hope that once the pandemic is over and things open back up, you take the time to tour your local towers and the ACC, ask questions in person as to why things are the way they are, and they can show you on their screens why traffic is managed a particular way.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

nvcatc wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 am [
The point of this thread just seems to be to bash controllers as dysfunctional and lazy. More goes on behind the scenes than what pilots hear on frequency, but some here don't seem to want to accept the bigger picture. I hope that once the pandemic is over and things open back up, you take the time to tour your local towers and the ACC, ask questions in person as to why things are the way they are, and they can show you on their screens why traffic is managed a particular way.
For context:

I fly IFR and VFR, based in the GTA. I've visited our ACC and YYZ Tower, to educate myself.

I've heard of these staffing issues in YVR for quite a number of years now. Not a new story.

I'm not bashing controllers, I am bashing management. No one else is bashing controllers either -- from my read.

New York City can handle VFR's. So should YVR.......

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am

rookiepilot wrote:Seems to me Nav Canadas refusal to properly staff their facility puts the 2 sides in exactly that position.
Staff it properly. I'm personally not interested in any story how "it's too expensive".
Now you're just being an *ss. You've already been told why this isn't as simple as "staff their facility." Apart from the cost, it's not easy to become a controller, the attrition rate in training is quite high and not everyone makes it. There's also been a lot of turnover due to retirement in the last while, I understand... stabilizedapproach could probably confirm that.
Why is this a localized problem then? It's not an issue in YYZ.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

nvcatc wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 am
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm This kind of help -- IS offered by other ATC facilities when a wait or course change is required. It's ATC's role to create safe solutions and offer them -- IMO...

Or is the onus on the low time PPL to argue for it and deny a clearance?
The majority of controllers are not/were not pilots. I don't know how to fly a plane, I just know the relative performance capabilities of the aircraft I usually talk too. If a controller issues a clearance or instruction that an aircraft is not capable of doing, or that makes the pilot uncomfortable, it is up to the pilot to say so. If you can't comply, that's fine - you just need to tell me and I will come up with another solution.
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm Seems to me Nav Canadas refusal to properly staff their facility puts the 2 sides in exactly that position.

Other facilities don't seem to have this issue, which clearly points to the management in your area.
Nav Canada is not refusing to staff any specialty, and has never said that training is too expensive. Training is expensive, that's a fact (especially considering the low success rates), but it's not stopping them from doing it. Nav Canada is trying to staff all specialties and towers, but as has been mentioned earlier, only so many trainees can be on board at any given time without overloading each specialty/tower. And even at max capacity, not every trainee gets a license - not even half for IFR. Then add in that existing controllers can lose their medicals, retire, move, etc, and you can see that it's not as easy as just pulling a few people off the street and sticking them in chairs to increase capacity.

Does that mean you can't feel frustrated as a pilot when the service you want is unavailable? Of course not. But understand we're doing what we have to do to keep everyone safe. Training is ongoing to get more controllers, but it's a slow process and attrition can potentially nullify each new license we get, which makes it even slower. Not trying to make excuses, but it's really frustrating as a controller to hear "you need to staff up" because we are trying, but licenses don't happen over night.

To your last point that I quoted, again every specialty is different, so suggesting "[X] location does it so you should be able to too" isn't that straight forward. Some areas have very simple procedures and traffic flows, among other things (terrain, minimum altitude shelves, underlying airports, radar/frequency site locations, surrounding ATC units, special use airspace, etc), and some are very complex. Vancouver terminal is notoriously complex, which adds to the reasons why they may restrict VFR on a given day and why it takes longer to increase staffing. Is the system perfect? No. But your anger towards them isn't fair either, they're not sitting there laughing at the VFR aircraft that was just denied entry while they sit back twiddling their thumbs. They are doing what they need to do to keep everyone safe, and priority rightly goes to IFR traffic.

Well maybe the majority of controllers should be pilots, there are plenty of pilots that are trying get in in with Nav Canada and it seems like to me (because I've asked) that Nav Canada doesn't really value that as an asset. The hiring process is just strange, that ridiculous "Wonderlic" test at the start of the process is nothing but a game and proves nothing, once you know how to play that game it's easy to pass, (Google beat the wonderlic). A question: why does the application ask if I'm a visible minority? Why would that matter? Is that actually an asset? (not trying to offend, just seems like a strange thing to ask)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Today I asked for a radar service close to YYZ and was cheerfully vectored through the fringes of Class C airspace to my destination and back again, at my requested altitudes. The controller was handling both Satellites East and Satellites West desk running a mixture of VFR and IFR traffic above and around 8 different airports. He was busy, with the frequency rarely quiet, But there was no suggestion that VFR traffic was causing a problem with workload.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

The only people who think being a pilot is a big help in being a controller is of course pilots. Any who are trying to get in and for whatever reason don't make it, complain that the process is ridiculous. Rest assured that if being a pilot was a ticket to success, you would be a shoe in. Whoever in the world can come up with a sure fire way of predicting success in controller training (like being a pilot) will be a very rich person. ANSP's the world over would be lining up to pay for the answer. I have seen commercial pilots make it through training and I have seen commercial pilots not make it through training. Being a pilot helps you in the initial phases of the process only. Speaking on the radio, phraseology, terminology, a/c performance etc. This advantage diminishes as time passes and the abinitio students develop matching skills and confidence. A number of my co workers are CPL's. A number are university grads (not one in any aviation related field), and a number are just high school educated with no special assets.

Pre pandemic I have had pilots visit and sit in and they invariably comment that it isn't what they expected.

Edited to add: There are controllers who are qualified in one specialty that move/cross over to another specialty and are unsuccessful. I am not bashing or disparaging pilots and what they may bring to the table but training controllers isn't as easy as some like to think.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:28 pm Today I asked for a radar service close to YYZ and was cheerfully vectored through the fringes of Class C airspace to my destination and back again, at my requested altitudes. The controller was handling both Satellites East and Satellites West desk running a mixture of VFR and IFR traffic above and around 8 different airports. He was busy, with the frequency rarely quiet, But there was no suggestion that VFR traffic was causing a problem with workload.
It's clearly us though who don't get it, PF..... :D

ATC Big Picture is too complicated for a mere GA pilot to comprehend....

controllercrazy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by controllercrazy »

jakeandelwood wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 pm
Well maybe the majority of controllers should be pilots, there are plenty of pilots that are trying get in in with Nav Canada and it seems like to me (because I've asked) that Nav Canada doesn't really value that as an asset. The hiring process is just strange, that ridiculous "Wonderlic" test at the start of the process is nothing but a game and proves nothing, once you know how to play that game it's easy to pass, (Google beat the wonderlic). A question: why does the application ask if I'm a visible minority? Why would that matter? Is that actually an asset? (not trying to offend, just seems like a strange thing to ask)
Google employment equity act Canada and you'll realize it's not strange to ask at all if NC is mandated to do so. Kevenv knocked the rest out of the park.
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:43 pm
ATC Big Picture is too complicated for a mere GA pilot to comprehend . So I'm told here ---

Yet YYZ seems to work. Interesting. Must not be the insane hub YVR is :lol:
with all due respect rookiepilot, yes the Big Picture is indeed too complicated for a mere GA pilot to comprehend.

But no one is asking GA pilots to "comprehend" otherwise they can hold an ATC license - they are asking GA pilots to trust what's going on.

And - they're asking pilots to understand reasons why you're denied service so maybe it'd be polite to be respectful of those who work hard to keep things safe instead of arguing everything they say.
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am No one else is bashing controllers either -- from my read.

New York City can handle VFR's. So should YVR.......
Huh we must be reading different things. How can all this displeasure towards YVR TML be directed at anyone other than controllers who are the front-line working traffic and actually the ones saying "stay clear!"?

You think they don't want the work and apparently offloading their problems to other facilities (all your words, not mine)... so they're basically the definition of lazy to you, but then if you think that, don't change your mind halfway through and say it's actually just piss-poor management's fault, but no bashing of controllers to be seen here! :roll:

here's an idea. visiting YYZ TWR/TML doesn't mean jack for understanding YVR. Come over and ask for a tour " to educate [yourself]" some more. While you're here, just tell those YVR TML controllers to their face exactly what you think of them and their work ethics as well... sure they'll graciously welcome your feedback with a round of drinks after.

btw seems like you have a business background. I hear management positions have opened up so here's your chance to go apply and rectify their "wrongs". Don't forget to come back and let us know how it goes though.

And just calling it like it is - stop. comparing. airspace. Everyone does different work. No one is better than others. YYZ is not YVR. YYZ. Is. Not. YVR. And for the sake of fairness, YVR. Is. Not. YYZ.
AirFrame wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am Now you're just being an *ss.
Followed this thread for a while now and based on what I read, couldn't say it better myself.
More-rudder! wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm Is CYNJ unsafe as a Class C control zone? Should it be dialed back to a Class D where responsibility for VFR separation is partially shifted from controllers to pilots? What is NavCanada's rationale for keeping CYNJ operations on par with YVR operations?
To bring it all back while I'm at it (apologies for this insane tangent OP), Langley has good radar coverage; class D control zones might have radar holes which is why they're D and not C. YNJ ops can't be brought to parity with YVR ops just by airspace classification alone; not the same.

--

EDIT: I notice you like to edit your posts rookiepilot. What happened to YVR being an insane hub? What happened to taking days off on nice beach days that apparently flies in Vancouver but nowhere else? Why not drive home the point again that you lived here? Maybe its too easy to backpedal on opinions sometimes.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

ATC forgets that pilots are often the sole managers of air traffic in uncontrolled airspace. Sometimes with more aircraft than those days in YVR where you get held up only to find you’re only one of two planes in the airspace. We also do a lot of ATCs job for them. Must be nice not having to give a speed restriction or a vector or telling someone to wait for a decent clearance because we can see and hear what’s happening too and act accordingly.

And for lots of times the last reason we are asking is so we don’t get burned, legally. All we are doing is getting permission to do what we already know we can do, but waiting to be told we can’t with no explanation as to why.

Some controllers are awesome. I was flying in a friend’s 182 and cautiously asked for flight following and this guy working almost all of B.C. was more than happy to oblige. He’s working the Terrace gong show and the Kelowna gong show and Prince George and Kamloops and every little shithole in between, giving approach clearances and hold clearances and vectors so much that we almost couldn’t get a word in edgewise. Don’t tell me that requires less work and situational awareness than the north shore route in YVR where they can’t put you at a safe altitude across the straight cause of reasons.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Most controllers are totally awesome. 98%
Including Vancouver Center in BC through the rocks.

That said YVR terminal is the only place Ive had issues both VFR and IFR. Doesn't sound like I'm the only one!

It hasn't been explained why TML can't offer FF in class E. much more logical than having Langley etc do it.
It's VFR traffic advisory only, and to stay legal. Separation is the pilots job.

I've flown a small plane around Toronto, NYC and down the Hudson, Washington DC transiting the Special flight area , Miami, Orlando, and others.

Want to argue -- fine. But don't tell me YVR is that much more complex than those.

Try NYC for a total zoo, but they move the tin, even when weather is lousy I had good service.

Florida is a nuthouse, but they get it done. Even YYZ is quiet compared to Florida.

I don't blame the controllers-- still. I'm sure there are some excellent ones there.

I'm not interested in arguing.

Yeah, I'm a business guy
Yeah poor management ticks me off
No I'm not interested in the job.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 amWhy is this a localized problem then? It's not an issue in YYZ.
Because the airspace is different, which has also been explained earlier. Even photofly's experience mentioned above shows that. He was routed "around the fringes of class C". Here in YVR, a lot of the traffic isn't looking for the fringes of class C. The routes people *want* to fly all cut well into class C. Some, like YYJ to YSE, or YNJ to YCD, would be almost directly overtop the tower at YVR.

nvcatc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nvcatc »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:19 pm
Try NYC for a total zoo, but they move the tin, even when weather is lousy I had good service.

Florida is a nuthouse, but they get it done. Even YYZ is quiet compared to Florida.
I don't want to diminish US controllers - they are very good at their jobs, I have a lot of respect for what they do, and I enjoy working along side them. But I do want to point out that in very busy areas, the US often staff 2 controllers to a position (one radar, one data) while we normally only have one barring special military ops, an emergency, sudden massive spike in traffic, etc. Now, they still use paper strips and we don't, but still, it's an extra set of eyes. In order to do this, many US controllers work mandatory 6-day weeks. I worked a lot of OT pre-pandemic, but excluding a few shift extensions, I've never been forced to work OT that I didn't want to do. 6-day work weeks for years on end sounds absolutely miserable, and maybe they should impose some more restrictions so that their controllers don't get pushed into the ground.

Again, not all airspace operates the same, and it's already been mentioned numerous times here: volume is not the only factor in complexity.
Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Sometimes with more aircraft than those days in YVR where you get held up only to find you’re only one of two planes in the airspace. We also do a lot of ATCs job for them. Must be nice not having to give a speed restriction or a vector or telling someone to wait for a decent clearance because we can see and hear what’s happening too and act accordingly.
How do you know you were one of two planes? Because you only heard one other voice? Doesn't mean there aren't other aircraft in the airspace. Departures and arrivals travel through the same airspace but can be worked by different controllers, so they have to follow procedures in order to keep clear of each other. One of the surrounding controllers could also be clipping terminal's airspace with one of their aircraft, so while terminal is not talking to that aircraft, it's still there and they need to keep their traffic clear. Lots goes on behind the scenes that you won't know about if you're just listening on frequency.

jakeandelwood wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 pm
Well maybe the majority of controllers should be pilots, there are plenty of pilots that are trying get in in with Nav Canada and it seems like to me (because I've asked) that Nav Canada doesn't really value that as an asset.
Pilots have not proven to be any more successful at getting a license than anybody else off the street. That's not to say the background aviation knowledge isn't useful, because it is, but it has no bearing on your skills at actually doing the job.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

nvcatc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:19 pm

I don't want to diminish US controllers - they are very good at their jobs, I have a lot of respect for what they do, and I enjoy working along side them. But I do want to point out that in very busy areas, the US often staff 2 controllers to a position (one radar, one data) while we normally only have one barring special military ops, an emergency, sudden massive spike in traffic, etc. Now, they still use paper strips and we don't, but still, it's an extra set of eyes. In order to do this, many US controllers work mandatory 6-day weeks. I worked a lot of OT pre-pandemic, but excluding a few shift extensions, I've never been forced to work OT that I didn't want to do. 6-day work weeks for years on end sounds absolutely miserable, and maybe they should impose some more restrictions so that their controllers don't get pushed into the ground.

Again, not all airspace operates the same, and it's already been mentioned numerous times here: volume is not the only factor in complexity.

I appreciate this professional--- response. I'll post a specific question, then: Why is VFR FF routinely denied even as far out as Abbotsford / Pitt Meadows -- that is a long, long way to YVR.

Is it just policy to never provide FF in class E -- never mind admittance to the Class C, anywhere in the lower mainland?

I'm trying to understand the airspace out there. That shouldn't come off as threatening as it seems to have done judging by some of the responses. Educate me, please.

And to Airframe: VFR's are routinely admitted to YYZ class C every day....along the lake.........

Last edited by rookiepilot on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Regardless of airspace class, a radar service is available to GA traffic across Ontario - neither around YYZ nor anywhere else have I ever been denied a service where radar coverage exists. Very close to YYZ you will get an altitude assigment and vectors, regardless of whether you are in class C or E at that time.

One can creep around the edge of the YYZ control zone at 1700 feet and not talk to anyone; but I get the idea that ATC would prefer to have you on frequency, and assign an altitude and heading. If denied service at 2000 or 2500, I'm still going to fly the route, just lower.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm I appreciate this professional--- response. I'll post a specific question, then: Why is VFR FF routinely denied even as far out as Abbotsford / Pitt Meadows -- that is a long, long way to YVR.
Pitt is not all that far from YVR, and it's within a few miles of a number of approaches/arrival routes into YVR. For what it's worth, Pitt did recently get an IFR departure; as I recall it's basically head for White Rock and then Whatcom at 3,000'. Progress, of sorts.

Abbotsford, on the other hand is in the boonies in comparison. I don't understand how you'd get denied service, because they've got a massive zone that goes up to 4500' - above which is YVR Terminal. Those YXX controllers are some of the most laid back bunch around, unlike Boundary Bay. :lol:

Mind you, I've never felt the need to get into Terminal out Abbotsford way; just head East of the zone and the Terminal/Centre floor keeps rising. Maybe you got denied entrance into Terminal on the North side of the field if a 737 was inbound on the RNP?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I always plan to fly around the class C airports when i fly from YYJ to YKA and i try to make it (in my belief) as less intrusive as possible to ATC when i do it. The only reason i want to be in terminal airspace to be honest is the idea of a mid-air collision in the idiot show of uncontrolled airspace in the lower mainland scares the crap out of me. There has to be at least 5 or so CADORS reports a day for pilots flying thru ZBB, YPK, YNJ airspace without calling them up, not holding short when asked, taking off when not cleared etc, etc, another 5 CADORS reports a day just for pilots not calling YNJ ground when taxiing, that one blows me away, thats basic 1st day of flight training stuff. i want to be in terminal airspace because i feel alot safer in the hands of Nav Canada's controllers. Can the controllers here tell me if my routing makes it easier for them? Because that's why i plan it like i do: YYJ direct East point direct white rock then direct Hope while staying just south of YXX, i usually ask them if they want that because sometimes they say to. I then go from hope direct to YKA along the coke highway, my altitude is '7500. the return is the same route but at '8500 then down to '6500 at Hope, I call up VR center at Agassiz. like i mentioned earlier i never have an issue to YKA but frequently have issues from YKA trying to get into the class C, but not always, i always feel relieved and thankfull when they accommodate me. I dont want to fly VFR in terminal airspace because "I feel chatty" or "I want to play with the big boys" or "I feel it's owed to me" I just feel alot safer, that's all.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Personally, I would start with direct and modify if required. If you want to be able to plan ahead of time though, why not use one of the two published VFR Routes to cross the water? For YYJ YKA I think East Point to Cherry Point would be appropriate. Why WC?

patter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by patter »

Page 1 of this weeks CADORS has 7/15 incidents on the page involving Langley. Haven’t looked page 2 yet

patter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by patter »

Page 2had 10/15 incidents involving Langley.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:19 am Personally, I would start with direct and modify if required. If you want to be able to plan ahead of time though, why not use one of the two published VFR Routes to cross the water? For YYJ YKA I think East Point to Cherry Point would be appropriate. Why WC?
Im sitting at home and i have a somewhat older VTA and it shows no VFR route from East point to Cherry point, it does have a "terminal class C route" from East point to WC for 4500 and above. i have the newest VTA and CFS in my plane, they might show different? i havent flown to YKA since last summer.

Return to “General Comments”