Air canada axes 30 routes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Air canada axes 30 routes

Post by rigpiggy »

https://beta.canada.com/news/national/a ... 5c7035/amp

So it looks like EVAS is toast, what other routes were cut

In an effort to cut costs, Air Canada has suspended seven of its routes in Newfoundland and Labrador indefinitely, and has pulled out of Wabush Airport entirely.

In a statement Tuesday, the carrier — which has been struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic — announced it will no longer fly between St. John's and Gander, St. John's and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and St. John's and Deer Lake.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay will also no longer have flights to and from Gander or Deer Lake.

Its decision to pull out of Wabush affects routes between that town and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, as well as Sept-Iles, Que.

Wabush Mayor Ron Barron said the move is disappointing, and comes following what he called decades of a tumultous relationship with the airline.

"These guys are burning bridges here and they are burning them again today," Barron said.
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air canada axes 30 routes

Post by rigpiggy »

MARITIMES/NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR:

Deer Lake-Goose Bay;
Deer Lake-St. John’s;
Fredericton-Halifax;
Fredericton-Ottawa;
Moncton-Halifax;
Saint John-Halifax;
Charlottetown-Halifax;
Moncton-Ottawa;
Gander-Goose Bay;
Gander-St. John’s;
Bathurst-Montreal;
Wabush-Goose Bay;
Wabush-Sept-Iles;
Goose Bay-St. John’s.
QUEBEC/ONTARIO:

Baie Comeau-Montreal;
Baie Comeau-Mont Joli;
Gaspé-Iles de la Madeleine;
Gaspé-Quebec City;
Sept-Iles-Quebec City;
Val d’Or-Montreal;
Mont Joli-Montreal;
Rouyn-Noranda-Val d’Or;
Kingston-Toronto;
London-Ottawa;
North Bay-Toronto
Windsor-Montreal
WESTERN CANADA:

Regina-Winnipeg;
Regina-Saskatoon;
Regina-Ottawa;
Saskatoon-Ottawa.
STATION CLOSURES:

Bathurst (New Brunswick)
Wabush (Newfoundland and Labrador)
Gaspé (Quebec)
Baie Comeau (Quebec)
Mont Joli (Quebec)
Val d’Or (Quebec)
Kingston (Ontario)
North Bay (Ontario)

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Not surprised really as here in Maritimes much of the cancelled stuff was B1900 flying aka Saint John/Fredericton/Moncton/ Charlottetown To Halifax. It may be rough for people from those places who want to go to NL as they will be forced to drive to Halifax or route through Montreal , Toronto to NL. Before this pandemic issue there were questions on the dependability of the B1900 flights as many seemed to be cancelled for all sorts of reasons. EVAS situation going forward will be interesting to read and hear about.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Writing has been on the wall sadly for a while for most 1900 operators. Hopefully they figure out something on their own and can keep operating.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm https://beta.canada.com/news/national/a ... 5c7035/amp

So it looks like EVAS is toast, what other routes were cut

In an effort to cut costs, Air Canada has suspended seven of its routes in Newfoundland and Labrador indefinitely, and has pulled out of Wabush Airport entirely.

In a statement Tuesday, the carrier — which has been struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic — announced it will no longer fly between St. John's and Gander, St. John's and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and St. John's and Deer Lake.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay will also no longer have flights to and from Gander or Deer Lake.

Its decision to pull out of Wabush affects routes between that town and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, as well as Sept-Iles, Que.

Wabush Mayor Ron Barron said the move is disappointing, and comes following what he called decades of a tumultous relationship with the airline.

"These guys are burning bridges here and they are burning them again today," Barron said.
Lol, decades of lack of support for the service. What do they expect, subsidized air travel no more... is that burning bridges?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I honestly can’t believe air Canada continued with the 1900 side of the operation as long as they did.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Air Georgian 2.0 will come to the rescue!

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 pm Air Georgian 2.0 will come to the rescue!
Flight would still be empty. AC is hibernating as best as possible.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The government told people not to travel, effectively forcing airlines temporarily out of business. When the airlines asked the gov for help they got nothing...(crickets)

Shutting down a bunch of regional routes is just sending a message. Help us or there will be more to come.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

co-joe wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm The government told people not to travel, effectively forcing airlines temporarily out of business. When the airlines asked the gov for help they got nothing...(crickets)

Shutting down a bunch of regional routes is just sending a message. Help us or there will be more to come.
Uh no, most of these routes have been dead for years. Air Canada can go bankrupt for all I care and shut every last one of their operations down. We'll always find someone willing to pick up the pieces if there's a market for it.

Outside of the major hubs, air Canada has dropped their presence over the years in an ever increasing cost saving for the investors. I don't think it's that hard to hire 4 agents and rent out an office if need be either. They don't have any infrastructure to dismantle anymore.

Good riddance.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I don’t think they made much money on those little airports in years. Were subsided or forced to fly there for years but no longer now.

Let’s Go Brandon
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Not easy for the people living in those places. Air Canada has been given special status by the governments BECAUSE they serviced areas nobody wanted to go. This is a just a good excuse for them to pull out. Hopefully, we can get this virus behind us and move on.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What special status was Air Canada given apart from the ACPPA which actually places undue burden on a private company without any benefit?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Guess what wasn’t cut says a lot also. The YYT/YQX/YDF/YYR to Halifax is intact and as well Halifax to Toronto, Montreal etc wasn’t either. The YSJ/YQM/YFC to same points westbound still there. The puddle jumping B1900 between points as I mentioned earlier got the axe, although was surprised by YFC and YQM direct to Ottawa axe but guess there is a reason for it. I bet the B1900 days under the AC banner are all done and gone.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 am I don’t think they made much money on those little airports in years. Were subsided or forced to fly there for years but no longer now.
AC has never been forced to fly these routes! After the CP takeover they were not allowed to cut routes for 2 years, that was the only restriction

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Heliian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 am
co-joe wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm The government told people not to travel, effectively forcing airlines temporarily out of business. When the airlines asked the gov for help they got nothing...(crickets)

Uh no, most of these routes have been dead for years. Air Canada can go bankrupt for all I care and shut every last one of their operations down. We'll always find someone willing to pick up the pieces if there's a market for it.

Outside of the major hubs, air Canada has dropped their presence over the years in an ever increasing cost saving for the investors. I don't think it's that hard to hire 4 agents and rent out an office if need be either. They don't have any infrastructure to dismantle anymore.

Good riddance.
Ridiculous comment, thousands of jobs gone from AC and many indirect companies is not a good thing just because you didn’t get a smile on board!

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Anyone who flew AC in the last year or so and looked in their in-flight magazine at the fleet would have noticed the B1900D was absent. I would guess AC has been wanting to get out of the B1900D business for awhile.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Blue42 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

Good riddance.
Ridiculous comment, thousands of jobs gone from AC and many indirect companies is not a good thing just because you didn’t get a smile on board!
Maybe he got PFO’d. Then again, there are a lot of broken record die-hard anti-Air Canada folks around here.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Blue42 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

Good riddance.
I feel for the frontline staff, they were the only redeeming quality with that crappy airline. Last time I flew with them was pre covid and the 787 had a layer of dust and dirt on everything inside, hadn't been properly cleaned in weeks, no time or money for that I guess. For the last decade or so, air Canada relied on their Intl routes to fluff them up with fake awards for outstanding accomplishments in the field of excellence. Their domestic routes were just pawned off to 3rd parties anyways. They're running a ulcc for the price of a first class airline.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I won’t be sad to see Rouge go. Bare bones service and crammed in like sardines for 8 hour flights. Hopefully they up the service again.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”