P180 job ad: "don't apply"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

P180 job ad: "don't apply"

Post by Donald »

Nice message in this job ad:
If you are recently laid off by a major or regional airline as a result of the current pandemic and have expectations of returning to your previous employer please do not apply.
Then again, a single pilot 703 turboprop job in the mountains, without maintenance or support....probably doesn't pay enough anyway.
---------- ADS -----------

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: P180 job ad: "don't apply"

Post by 172_Captain »

I don’t see anything wrong with that. The client can ask for whatever they want, and frankly, it’s a fairly reasonable request IMO.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Good of them to put it out there . Up front folks, IMHO.

Certainly far better than someone who knows nothing about them concluding it probably doesnt pay enough anyway.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Admiral Benson »

I have never understood this philosophy. The vast majority of the pilot population have no desire to stay 703 for their entire career. Both candidates in this scenario will leave. The only difference is the laid off major/regional pilot knows where they are going to leave to. Make them sign a bond to recoup your training costs, enjoy an employee with some real world experience and stop thinking that you will find a lifelong 703 pilot. You’re hunting for a unicorn.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

trey kule wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 pmCertainly far better than someone who knows nothing about them concluding it probably doesnt pay enough anyway.
Let's be honest, single pilot mountain flying combined with minimal support, should be paid lots. By all means, I'd love for my assumptions to be proved wrong.
Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pmMake them sign a bond to recoup your training costs,
There's a bond mentioned as well, unless you are PPC'd on the P180.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm Make them sign a bond to recoup your training costs,
Now I’m confused. Isn’t the general censuses of this forum that pilots who sign bonds are worse then Hitler. Now we’re advocating for them?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

A perfectly valid concern. They know that as soon as flying picks back up the airline guy will leave at the drop of a hat and leave them without a pilot for the season.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Plus lots of regular people will not bother to apply, if those who were at the top of the totem pole swoop in and get the job anyways. This way, he can keep his dream of finding a lifelong employee alive. I don't know how many single pilot mountain-experienced IFR experts who never went to the regionals or airlines, are out there.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 am I don't know how many single pilot mountain-experienced IFR experts who never went to the regionals or airlines, are out there.
It doesn’t say only people who have never worked for a regional or airline should apply. Read it again.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 am Plus lots of regular people will not bother to apply, if those who were at the top of the totem pole swoop in and get the job anyways. This way, he can keep his dream of finding a lifelong employee alive. I don't know how many single pilot mountain-experienced IFR experts who never went to the regionals or airlines, are out there.
With a PPC on type. :lol:

Are there even any flying in Canada other than this one? Lots of companies tried them out years ago including the RCMP until they realised they need a lot of runway, don't have great range, and have no room for bags.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Don't like it don't apply, it really is that simple folks. I have no dog in this fight but this company doesn't owe anyone a job just because they were laid off from their 705 gig. Go do something outside of aviation with all your new found spare time, you won't regret it.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I have a darn good mind to write them.

Who are they to hurt the feelings of snowflakes everywhere!
Dash the dreams . Deny those that want to work for a bit until the call comes.
They have no right to wish for a PPC, or mountain experience. Honestly and openness has no place if it clashes with the dreams of the furloughed.

The very nerve of them offending those who are laid off (euphemism) for stopping them from now pushing back those they feel are beneath them until things pick up.

Don’t even get me started on a bond. Bonds bad. They keep pilotsfrom walking out with two days notice ....even if we all know the pilots are sorry when this happens, but they got the call.

Next thing some greedy Captain who took an early retirement package will slip into the seat and double dip. They deserve each other.

Yep, maybe a strongly worded letter will put them back on track to hire the entitleds.

Last edited by trey kule on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

The pope likes it.

I sit and watch the fall out and while I do feel for the furloughed pilots the group that bailed on employers with little or very limited time and experience no so much. They gambled and unfortunately lost and the total irony, none of that group are very marketable because right seat dash 8 is of little value in today's market. The reality is that carriers will use more bonds, with more restrictions and tighter language because now the can again. We bitch and cry about bonds but why do we have them now - yup, because of us, pilots. We are our own worst enemies.

Don't worry they will have no problem filling this job, if it's a good job someone will be very happy, if it's shit I hope we don't read about it in the news some day. Some operators don't get the fact that you get what you pay for.
I can see a lot of dash8 f/o's starting right back on the ramp if they choose to remain in the industry. I never flew for a level 1 carrier but did very well in aviation as a pilot. The options are there, WS and AC does not guarantee an enjoyable and happy career. Good luck to all no matter what road you choose.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

co-joe wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:14 am
ayseven wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:40 am Are there even any flying in Canada other than this one? Lots of companies tried them out years ago including the RCMP until they realised they need a lot of runway, don't have great range, and have no room for bags.
I know there is one based in Windsor, ON. And I believe Chartright operates one, or at leased used to operate one. I remember fuelling it in YQG 4 or 5 years ago. First plane I ever fuelled working at an FBO.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Looks like I still need to figure out how to quote properly on here lol. I wrote what is quoted by “co-joe” and “co-joe” wrote what was quoted by “ayseven” in that previous post. Sorry for the confusion.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm I have never understood this philosophy. The vast majority of the pilot population have no desire to stay 703 for their entire career. Both candidates in this scenario will leave. The only difference is the laid off major/regional pilot knows where they are going to leave to. Make them sign a bond to recoup your training costs, enjoy an employee with some real world experience and stop thinking that you will find a lifelong 703 pilot. You’re hunting for a unicorn.
If that's what they like to do, then they only have a chance of finding that unicorn if they don't get a known donkey. Better to bet on a horse that might turn into a unicorn.

Or, if you don't like it, use the information to your advantage and tell them you have no desire to ever go back to AC. Make sure to practice a couple of times in front of a mirror though!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
WrightR2600
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WrightR2600 »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 am The pope likes it.

I sit and watch the fall out and while I do feel for the furloughed pilots the group that bailed on employers with little or very limited time and experience no so much. They gambled and unfortunately lost and the total irony, none of that group are very marketable because right seat dash 8 is of little value in today's market. The reality is that carriers will use more bonds, with more restrictions and tighter language because now the can again. We bitch and cry about bonds but why do we have them now - yup, because of us, pilots. We are our own worst enemies.

Don't worry they will have no problem filling this job, if it's a good job someone will be very happy, if it's shit I hope we don't read about it in the news some day. Some operators don't get the fact that you get what you pay for.
I can see a lot of dash8 f/o's starting right back on the ramp if they choose to remain in the industry. I never flew for a level 1 carrier but did very well in aviation as a pilot. The options are there, WS and AC does not guarantee an enjoyable and happy career. Good luck to all no matter what road you choose.
Exactly

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

There are 7 registered p180's in Canada.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Ok. I won’t apply.

Honestly if it were the right operation it sounds like it could be a nice lifestyle gig.

Unfortunately when they throw things like “604/703” and “single pilot” it tells me that they are cheap and will have you on call the maximum legal days.

Oh... but you get to live in Kelownafornia!! Where you can drive down 97 and pretend it’s the Napa Valley, 60 days out of the year!!

https://youtu.be/Dj0kWQPPBis

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm I have never understood this philosophy. The vast majority of the pilot population have no desire to stay 703 for their entire career. Both candidates in this scenario will leave. The only difference is the laid off major/regional pilot knows where they are going to leave to. Make them sign a bond to recoup your training costs, enjoy an employee with some real world experience and stop thinking that you will find a lifelong 703 pilot. You’re hunting for a unicorn.
Its very possible a 705 person has been "spoiled" and is rusty when it comes to all the planning and extra thought needed for a 703 job

Return to “General Comments”