Amputee PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Benm11
Rank 1
Rank 1

Amputee PPL

Post by Benm11 »

Hey everybody,

I have a buddy who lost his leg above the knee in Afghanistan who reached out to me recently about doing flight training. He wants to do his PPL and bush flying (tail wheel and floats).

Is there anybody who has prior experiences who I can get in touch with and try and get him set up?

Thanks for your help.
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Amputee PPL

Post by 200hr Wonder »

I would start with talking to a CAME for a medical. Without one he can not hold a PPL. Obviously missing the leg will require some hoops to jump through however Transport Canada is usually reasonable about getting people in the air if they can. Once that has all be sorted and what would be required in terms a prosthetic any school can do the training.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Aircraft are available with hand rudder controls for people without the use of both feet:
https://www.freedomintheair.org/hand-controls/

Per the Handbook for Civil Aviation Medical Examiners:
Locomotor
Pilot applicants should be assessed for the ability to undertake flight operations in normal and emergency situations. In the case of amputation or paraplegia, special practical tests will be ordered by the RAMO to determine the applicant's suitability for flight.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

We have a double amputee at my soaring club. I'm not sure how he lost his legs, or what hoops he had to jump through for his GPL, but he does fly a specially modified sailplane with no issues.

Of course, there's no throttle or mixture controls or flaps to dick around with either, so it may be easier to get a GPL than a PPL as an amputee. I'm not sure.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

200hr Wonder wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 pm Obviously missing the leg will require some hoops to jump through

On a more serious note, it is definitely possible. This Begium club (you'll have to find a translation) https://www.handflight.be/ operates a plane with removable controls etc. People do get their PPL with lower leg issues.

Good luck!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Good luck to him. I'm personally rooting for his success.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I knew a fellow who lost a leg below the knee (having earlier lost an eye), he got a PPL no problem in a standard C150, with just a funny bracket I made on the rudder pedal. He worked it out so he could work the toe brakes fine. Your friends aspiration for tail dragger and skis might introduce a bit more challenge, but he won't know till he tries....

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It might be easier to do the ppl on floats if you have trouble adapting a plane. No brake issues... Although getting in and out of the airplane might be significant harder, be it in normal or emergency ops.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I know a guy who is missing a leg who got a Cat 1. I think there was some run around, but he eventually got it. I'd recommend Dr. Gilmore for any less than regular medical issues. He knows who to talk to to make it work (if it can).

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:53 pm I knew a fellow who lost a leg below the knee (having earlier lost an eye), he got a PPL no problem in a standard C150.
Jesus. I'll stick that one in the back of my head to remember, when I think that I've been dealt a bad hand. I'll bet my left testicle he has one hell of a story to tell, your friend.

It does make me wonder - how does one activate BOTH toe brakes with one leg in an unmodified plane? In a glider it's easy - the spoilers also activate the wheel brakes - and usually it's just a single belly wheel with brakes, but that's a one handed control.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

We have a local pilot who is wheelchair bound and has the plane configured with hand controls. As others have stated, I'm not sure of the medical hoops that had to be jumped through or training requirements for insurance, etc...

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

My dad taught a guy who was handicapped . Circa late 60`s. The guy had MD , had leg braces and walked with canes. Hardest part was getting in and out of the plane.Got his PPL on a Piper Colt....had a hand brake.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Definitely doable. There will be some challenges and he may require an individualized flight test demonstrating that he can perform safely but I know of both a fellow who had an arm amputated above the elbow and another who had his leg amputated above his knee who both had commercial flying privileges.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

@Benm11

Pass this link on to your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It could easily be done in a Cherokee. They have a handbrake available, in fact mine only had a handbrake and no toe brakes.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JasonE wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:36 pm It could easily be done in a Cherokee. They have a handbrake available, in fact mine only had a handbrake and no toe brakes.
Good point! Older comanches are the same. If transport allows it, I suppose you could use the rudder with one foot. Maybe some kind of bicycle pedal bracket could be attached so the one foot can also pull on the pedal.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Anything you attach to the flight controls of an aircraft is unlikely to pass the test not to be a major modification, so you will need something like an STC to fit it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Attach a hook to your shoe then, and slide it over the pedal. It would be the equivalent of wearing gloves.

futurebushpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by futurebushpilot »

Contact Freedom Air at Cooking Lake, Alberta. I know that they helped a paraplegic get his PPL.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I have a good friend who is an amputee. He holds a Class 3 medical and is an active pilot.

For real inspiration, google "Jessica Cox pilot" who has no arms. I know it's in the US and governed under the FAA, but she would be operating under an exemption. These days, it is easier than ever for pilots to get medicals as long as the authority can be convinced that a pilot can operate an aircraft safely.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Comments”