Fire the Transport minister

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Fire the Transport minister

Post by 780Pilot »

Seems like this is more so an issue out east. I'm going in for my CAT 1 Medical Renewal July 10th, my friends are doing instructor and CPL flight tests, and people can start going into TC to write exams. (Out in Alberta)
---------- ADS -----------

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

the regions all seem different. before this pandemic started i called the pacific region to ask a question, i called about 5 times, left messages, nothing. i called the prairie region and on the 2nd ring i got someone who politly answered my question.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

i am in QC and there is no service either!

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:39 pm
redlaser wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:26 pm I wish i could book a flight examinator but only TC Canada flight test examinators can do my flight test, and I've always done my flight tests with them, for the last 44 years...
What kind of flight test is that?
I just confirmed with a Pilot Examiner that he is able to do Class 2 instructor renewals. Contact the guy I sent you in DM.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:56 pm the regions all seem different. before this pandemic started i called the pacific region to ask a question, i called about 5 times, left messages, nothing. i called the prairie region and on the 2nd ring i got someone who politly answered my question.
I've found the opposite to be true. I had an issue 4 years ago that I needed to talk to TC about and I called the Prairie and Northern region and am still waiting for those calls to be returned. I called 3 different people in Pacific, all 3 called back within 24 hours and were all super helpful.

Now if you want to fire the Transport Minister, fire him over the new duty rules he's botched for so long...Are they even coming still?

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

The Canadian Owners and Pilot Association, COPA , should send a letter to the PM, to get this guy out if office for being so incompetent as Transportation Minister.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

I've also had good responses from TC in the Pacific region.

Trudeau firing someone for being incompetent, HA! Hypocrisy at it's finest.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

While I can't say I'm thrilled with every decision the current Minister has made, he generally seems more competent than the last 5(!) under the previous PM and the 2 under the previous short term Liberal PM.

However, I think one of the biggest issues that comes is the huge disparity between services, procedures and interpretation in the different regions at TC. For example, on the TC Medical side of things, the RAMO for International/Atlantic takes a significantly more stringent approach to the CARs interpretations than some of her counterparts in different regions. At the same time, it's significantly easier to get in touch with someone from licensing in the Atlantic Region than it is in Ontario. While it makes a bit of sense as Ontario's population is bigger, policies and services, it's actually quite unacceptable that Canadians in different regions will be treated so differently by the regulator.

On top of that, HQ will sometimes get involved in issues and simply change the decision or policy. On the one hand, policies change, on the other, it's pretty unfair to pilots and air operators who have relied on TC regional policies for their business and livelihood to have it arbitrarily changed.

Last edited by JBI on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

However, I think one of the biggest issues that comes is the huge disparity between services, procedures and interpretation in the different regions at TC.
Indeed. Service levels can be wildly different between departments and inspectors. Not to mention interpretation variations, which can be incredibly frustrating.

The other thing to remember is that in many cases TC is somewhat understaffed, and as union workers, they have a typically bankers hours approach to availability. If the person you're dealing with happens to go on vacation, well don't expect someone else to take up the responsibility until they get back. Also don't expect prompt service around weekends and stat holidays, there seems to be a leave early/return late modus. Their new email contact system for inquiries also seems like a pass the buck system, where response times can vary wildly, though I would yet to call a response I've gotten prompt or timely.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

We all need to understand how the government departments work. The minister usually turns out to someone who has no clue to the content and actually how his/her ministry works. The deputy minister is usually the power house and runs the ministry on a day to day basis. The minister is just a political manager. TC has always suffered with policy and regulatory differences in interpretation from region to region. I'm not sure how you tame that beast because empire building seems to be a very common human trait.

Our current minister, well, it's hard to believe he is that stupid, like the alcohol abuse letter but it's coming from somewhere and likely he has fallen into a spinless mouth piece roll. I doubt if you can stand up to pretty boy and survive politically. Why can't our political parties field good leaders. It's been a long time, if ever, since Canada has had a good strong, popular and honest leader rather than bully and/or a passive aggressive idiot.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

So, did we decide? Im on pins and needle's waiting to find out if Avcanada has fired the Minister of Transportation. Service levels are up significantly exemptions aren't an issue for everyone who can read and follow directions, and government is being goverment with one person within a department having a different interpretation then someone else within the same department. Should we run a poll? is everyone ready to vote? can we get the College of professional pilots to tell him? So much work to do.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Seems to me that we only have that chance every few years, you know the democratic vote, and even then you might not get your wish. Life is really tough sometimes :roll: , but it's the system we live under so I guess we just deal with it.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

dhc# wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:51 pm And what about IFR currency's, especially for those laid off/out of work and looking at what, up to 1-3 yrs before a call back ?
And your point is? You are either current, or you are not. There's an important difference between that and something like a medical self attestation or PPC extension.

Return to “General Comments”