Fire the Transport minister

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Fire the Transport minister

Post by redlaser »

Should The PM Trudeau fire the minister of transport Hon Marc Garneau for being incompetent, all we got was medical extensions but nothing else, our instructor ratings have expired with no possibility of doing renewal flight test rides, and TC offices don't even respond to emails sent to them, How much longer do we have to wait before TC resumes normal operations, months or years, it's anybody's guess.
---------- ADS -----------

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Fire the Transport minister

Post by altiplano »

Just as well. We should just contract the FAA to manage our regulatory regime.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The incompetence goes back long before COVID-19. How about the stand on TFWs? Duty/fatigue regs.? Etc...

Last edited by 7ECA on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

7ECA wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:24 pm The incompetence goes back long before COVID-19. How about the stand on TWFs? Duty/fatigue regs.? Etc...
what is a twf?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I think he meant TFW.

TC doesn’t even respond to emails and I can’t get through on the phone with a medical question. Completely useless.

Let’s Go Brandon
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Transport Canada mailed out ADB stickers extending anybody who had a valid flight instructor rating that was expiring before August 1, to increase the validity period to August 1

There was no application process or fee you just got a sticker in the mail. If you did not get a sticker it was probably because you did not keep your address up top date with TC. TC is now working on a further extension until TC Inspectors can get caught up on Instructor flight tests.

TC has issued over 50 exemptions to extend permits and certificates that were expiring since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

My class 1 was just extended from Aug 1 to Nov 1. Just got my sticker in the mail, without any prompting. Refesher courses were also available online from Aviation Solutions. I’m not really sure what you’re on about.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

And what about IFR currency's, especially for those laid off/out of work and looking at what, up to 1-3 yrs before a call back ?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

172_Captain wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:42 pm My class 1 was just extended from Aug 1 to Nov 1. Just got my sticker in the mail, without any prompting. Refesher courses were also available online from Aviation Solutions. I’m not really sure what you’re on about.
redlaser also made another post about how he hasn't had any success this year with transport canada.

It's not a systemwide failure, it's his personal failure to keep everything updated and expect TC to be quick at processing his needs. Where's your employer in all this, everyone else has extensions now.

TC has never been quick, just don't worry about it, you'll learn eventually about the bureaucracies of the system.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Heliian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm
172_Captain wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:42 pm My class 1 was just extended from Aug 1 to Nov 1. Just got my sticker in the mail, without any prompting. Refesher courses were also available online from Aviation Solutions. I’m not really sure what you’re on about.
redlaser also made another post about how he hasn't had any success this year with transport canada.

It's not a systemwide failure, it's his personal failure to keep everything updated and expect TC to be quick at processing his needs. Where's your employer in all this, everyone else has extensions now.

TC has never been quick, just don't worry about it, you'll learn eventually about the bureaucracies of the system.
Definitely the most Canadian thing I’ve read all day.

HHI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HHI »

Within the past month I have emailed TC (Pacific region) twice. I requested a phone call and was called same day for one and next morning for the other.

Pacific region, though not sure if that’s relevant.

Wonder why red laser apparently has no success.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

redlaser wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:26 pm Should The PM Trudeau fire the minister of transport Hon Marc Garneau for being incompetent, all we got was medical extensions but nothing else, our instructor ratings have expired with no possibility of doing renewal flight test rides, and TC offices don't even respond to emails sent to them, How much longer do we have to wait before TC resumes normal operations, months or years, it's anybody's guess.
You don’t listen. I’ve told you repeatedly that instructor rides are available from Pilot Examiners. You can renew your instructor rating. Find an examiner and book it. This is a self inflicted wound.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I wish i could book a flight examinator but only TC Canada flight test examinators can do my flight test, and I've always done my flight tests with them, for the last 44 years...

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

leftoftrack wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:30 pm what is a twf?
Temporary Worker: Foreign. It sounds more badass to say it that way, kind of like James Bond would. Or Yoda.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

redlaser wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:26 pm I wish i could book a flight examinator but only TC Canada flight test examinators can do my flight test, and I've always done my flight tests with them, for the last 44 years...
What kind of flight test is that?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Hangry wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:41 pm
Heliian wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm

Definitely the most Canadian thing I’ve read all day.
Thank you. I am a proud Canadian!

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

HHI wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:23 pm Within the past month I have emailed TC (Pacific region) twice. I requested a phone call and was called same day for one and next morning for the other.

Pacific region, though not sure if that’s relevant.

Wonder why red laser apparently has no success.
Emailed TC Pacific region on Friday and got a response on Saturday which astounded me. Can’t complain about that.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

While the Ontario phone line for medicals is not even working, I just phoned the Prairie/northern region and spoke to a lady there and she answered my questions no problem

Yea it is hard to get through and TC can be pretty useless sometimes but I can't imagine them letting things expire because they didn't give exemptions... Pretty sure 90% of us would be screwed in that case with ratings, medicals, etc expiring

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

redlaser wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:26 pm our instructor ratings have expired with no possibility of doing renewal flight test rides
Got a nice email by someone at TC wanting to know if I wanted to get my FI rating extended due to COVID19, said yes and less than 1 week later I had the sticker in the mailbox. I'm now good until the fall.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Through this whole Covid thing, I've had no problem interacting with TC as I normally would. It might have taken an extra day or so, and sometimes I've heard the TC staff member's kids in the background, but no problems. Twice, I've had TC call me on their initiative, and inquire about how the Covid is affecting my aviation business, and consider any concerns I expressed.

So, I can't really comment on the minister himself, but I'm pretty happy with the TC staff I interact with normally...

Return to “General Comments”