Logbook Corrections

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyindutchman1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Logbook Corrections

Post by flyindutchman1996 »

Hey everyone. I’m going through my logbook and syncing it up with my PTR for a license sign off and noticed a few of the hours were wrong in my logbook. How does one go about correcting this? Would I have to correct each one and add up each individual page again?
Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Logbook Corrections

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Just make an entry along the lines of "to correct for errors on XX date" new total times are X, Y, etc"
Its really not that big a deal. I would challenge you to find any paper logbook that hasn't been redone and has no errors in it.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Mine has no corrections. Just sayin'

(I haven't finished the first page yet though. Just sayin'. And my PTR does have a correction.)

Seriously though, the one thing I would advise is to not use whiteout, and to not black out the incorrect entries. Strike through them. I personally use a red pen to do that. That way, it doesn't look like you're trying to hide anything, as what you have corrected is still legible.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

I grab a different color crayon and scribble hard and fast.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I've used correction tape (essentially roll-on thin whiteout) as long as i've been flying, to fix minor errors like mis-writing a time on a flight. If I found myself with an error three pages back that would require correcting entire columns of data, i'd just use a single correcting entry like Redneck_pilot86 suggested.

I've been keeping a digital logbook in parallel though, and when that is getting updated every 5-10 flights I don't get out of sync. Never had an error that needed to be corrected beyond a single row.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Any correction in any aviation document, your log book, the journey log, OFP etc etc has to be done in a way that allows the incorrect entry to be visible. If you make a mistake the most common method is to draw a line through the incorrect entry in such a way that it is still intelligible and then write EIE ( Entered in Error) and initial it

For time correction in a journey log like an earlier poster said, make an entry referencing the incorrect line and state what was done. For example

8 July - Air time at 26 June corrected, 0.7 added, TAT 8341.1 - Joe Blow AA123456

For a personal log

8 July page total for Multi Engine PIC corrected, 2.1 hrs added. Total Multi Engine PIC 1003.1 hrs and an initial

Never use white out, correction tape or with a pen, scribble over an entry so that it can't be read. I hope it also goes without saying that all entries have to made with an indelible ink pen.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

It's a good idea to check your log book against your journey log to find any errors in flight times or dates, An error could cost you 150$ per entry if enforcement looks through your books for any regulation infraction, You could be fined also for any omission as well, like having done a flight and no entry in your log or journey log, Just Remember TC is out to get you!...

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I use white-out and corrective tape to keep my logbook neat, it has been in to TC for my A's to be signed off...no issues.

Keep the dirty side down.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am Any correction in any aviation document, your log book, the journey log, OFP etc etc has to be done in a way that allows the incorrect entry to be visible. If you make a mistake the most common method is to draw a line through the incorrect entry in such a way that it is still intelligible and then write EIE ( Entered in Error) and initial it

For time correction in a journey log like an earlier poster said, make an entry referencing the incorrect line and state what was done. For example

8 July - Air time at 26 June corrected, 0.7 added, TAT 8341.1 - Joe Blow AA123456

For a personal log

8 July page total for Multi Engine PIC corrected, 2.1 hrs added. Total Multi Engine PIC 1003.1 hrs and an initial

Never use white out, correction tape or with a pen, scribble over an entry so that it can't be read. I hope it also goes without saying that all entries have to made with an indelible ink pen.
I have always heard this being the acceptable standard for keeping logs - both personal as well as technical, but the only CAR I could find only seems to address this requirement for Technical Logs under 605.93:
CAR 605.93 wrote:(5) Subject to subsection (6), where a person alters an entry on a technical record for the purpose of correcting the entry, the person shall do so by striking out the incorrect entry in such a manner that the underlying information remains legible, and inserting the correct entry together with
(a) the date of the alteration;
(b) the reason for the alteration, if it is necessary to clarify why the alteration was made; and
(c) the person’s name and signature or employee identifier or, where the record is kept as electronic data, the person’s user code or equivalent security designation.

(6) Where a correction referred to in subsection (5) is being made to a technical record that is maintained as electronic data, the correction shall be made in a manner that does not render the original data inaccessible.
Is there anywhere it talks about personal logs or states that personal logs need to follow the same rule?

fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fur1ough »

I haven't kept my logs for a few years other than a monthly entry.

It very much doesn't matter for personal logs. Once you have your ATPL the only thing that might matter is insurance requirements for a smaller operator. If you're at an airline it doesn't matter anymore.

Even when I did my ATPL, I just gave a printed out Excel Logbook. Signed by me at the bottom that it was "true and correct" or whatever. No issues.

Those here making big claims about how you can be fined if you personal logbook is slightly off (and I'm sure mine has a few minor errors) I sure aint going to go back and audit 4000 hours of flying, on planes I don't have logbook access too anymore.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

fur1ough wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 pm It very much doesn't matter for personal logs. Once you have your ATPL the only thing that might matter is insurance requirements for a smaller operator. If you're at an airline it doesn't matter anymore.
Until of course, that airline no longer exists, and you need a new job.

I update my resume every month, give or take. It's been different, I'm sure, keeping an IT resume up to date, from keeping a logbook up to date. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but keeping professional qualifications and experience up to date and written down has never done me anything but good.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fur1ough »

You're right, I had a fair bit of updating to do after getting the layoff from AC. Still not really daily inputs, but good enough. Not that it really matters anyways because I think I have about a zero percent chance of finding another flying job right now.

Return to “General Comments”