Letter of Proficiency

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

El Capitan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Letter of Proficiency

Post by El Capitan »

I did a checkout for someone this week and they need a Letter of Proficiency for the insurance company.

Any idea what the wording should be? I can't find any examples online.

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Letter of Proficiency

Post by digits_ »

As far as I know, there is no official template or description for such a thing. You could ask the insurance company what exactly they need. They all have different requirements. Sometimes copy of the logbook showing X amount of dual on type is sufficient, sometimes it isn't.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

What kind of checkout? Was It a PPC? Or a PCC? Are you an ACP? Is it For a private licence? Need a lot more info/

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Depends on what specific requirements the insurance company has for the checkout. 95% of the time they don't have any idea what a checkout even is, they just know pilots need one. In that case a simple one line letter stating that you flew X hours in Y aircraft with Z pilot and they are proficient.

If the insurance company has specific requirements then I'll cover that in the letter.

In my mind this is something that you get sorted out as part of your preparation before giving someone a checkout.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

turbo-prop wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:52 pm What kind of checkout? Was It a PPC? Or a PCC? Are you an ACP? Is it For a private licence? Need a lot more info/
El Capitan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am I did a checkout for someone this week and they need a Letter of Proficiency for the insurance company.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I agree with Ahramin, most insurers don't know what they are looking for, so most anything you'll write will serve their purposes, but of course, if they specify something (number of hours, specific maneuvers) have the candidate do them, and state that they were satisfactorily accomplished when they were.

I generally try to be a little expressive, and describe a few things in a complementary way, to show that we did more than a circuit or two.

If the candidate does not meet your expectations, do not complete the checkout with them, it's only fair, and protects you. I've had a couple of PPL's who just could not manage the type, and after a heart to heart, I declined to write any letter.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I essentially followed a PPL check ride in terms of air work last time I did one. I made up a form, signed it, and attached some sort of letter for the insurance company. I'm not a flight instructor, but they had no issue with it.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Of course they don’t care about what’s on it. They only care they have a paperwork stating the person is proficient. In my experience, nobody really gives a crap about currency and proficiency until an audit (for currency documentation, not actual currency) or when fit hit the shan... Then people peel back the proverbial onion and if you did not do what you were supposed to do or said you did, you’re in trouble.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “General Comments”