Airplane stuck in the states

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

molsonb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Airplane stuck in the states

Post by molsonb »

This might be a silly question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has their personal airplane stuck in the states during this Covid ordeal. There's no ways around traveling to get it back? I've just been paying hanger fees to keep it stored until the borders open up. Sucks, would of been a good summer to fly since we can't take vacation.
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Airplane stuck in the states

Post by montado »

You can fly across the border with an airline ticket. The border is not closed.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

if you fly across airline style , canada will welcome you back, mind you for a 14 day quarantine. I think you best spend minimum time down there. just sayin

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

If you don’t want to quarantine for two weeks when you come back find a furloughed commercial pilot you trust, and send them down there to grab it. Commercial pilots, truckers, and marine crew are exempt from the quarantine rules.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Commercial pilots, truckers, and marine crew are exempt from the quarantine rules.
Um... I'm pretty sure that the quarantine exemption applies only to crew actually flying for an airline; it's not a generic privilege of being a commercial pilot, or of flying an airplane. If it were, you could go and get your aircraft yourself, and claim a quarantine exemption because you yourself are "crew".

Last edited by photofly on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Airline down, fly it home, 14 days quarantine is your best bet. I recently crossed the border both ways in a private aircraft and it was a non event.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

photofly wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:57 pm
Um... I'm pretty sure that the quarantine exemption applies only to crew actually flying for an airline;
[/quote]

I wasn’t sure, which is why I called and checked before I completed this exact task for a client. I was providing a service, contracted by the aircraft owner. Therefore flight crew, and subject to the exemption :)

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:57 pm
Commercial pilots, truckers, and marine crew are exempt from the quarantine rules.
Um... I'm pretty sure that the quarantine exemption applies only to crew actually flying for an airline; it's not a generic privilege of being a commercial pilot, or of flying an airplane. If it were, you could go and get your aircraft yourself, and claim a quarantine exemption because you yourself are "crew".
I don't know about the actual rules, but I can tell you that in reality you don't need to be working for an airline. Multiple private operators are crossing the border every day, with pilots that don't quarantaine. Aren't even allowed to quarantaine by some of their employers - if they even still have a job.

So if the pilot of your private jet doesn't have to quarantaine, it stands to reason that you don't have to quarantaine either if you happen to fly your plane yourself. Especially if the goal of the trip was to recover said airplane, a kind of trip that is being made by a lot of air crew, be it airline or not.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

molsonb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 pm This might be a silly question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has their personal airplane stuck in the states during this Covid ordeal. There's no ways around traveling to get it back? I've just been paying hanger fees to keep it stored until the borders open up. Sucks, would of been a good summer to fly since we can't take vacation.
I might have a solution. I sent you a PM.

-Dronepiper

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Pay someone to fly it back. They won't be legally required to quarantine, but you might have to.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

It's not an issue to go specifically to the US to retrieve a plane whether you're a commercial pilot or not. There's also no rule to isolate after the flight as you're considered crew. Now if you decide to bring 5 of your buddies and make a weekend out of it, it's a different story.
Personally, I would quarantine for the 14 days if I was not able to socially distance myself while retrieving the plane. Especially if the plane is somewhere in the US that is a hot spot. But all that's more to ensure I'm not bringing anything home to my family and friends.

molsonb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by molsonb »

The self quarantine for 14 days is not a problem. Living in the country, it's not much different.

This is crazy, how have I not heard in the news you can fly, but you can't drive. I knew some people who went to Vegas for 'medical reasons' and flew, but I wasn't going to lie to go get my plane. Wow, I still can't believe it, it makes no sense. So no reason to give to fly down?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

molsonb wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 am The self quarantine for 14 days is not a problem. Living in the country, it's not much different.

This is crazy, how have I not heard in the news you can fly, but you can't drive. I knew some people who went to Vegas for 'medical reasons' and flew, but I wasn't going to lie to go get my plane. Wow, I still can't believe it, it makes no sense. So no reason to give to fly down?
You usually have to give a reason to US Customs why you are entering the country.

"Hi officer, I am here to pick up an airplane. I'm leaving as soon as possible"
- "Are you flight crew?"
"Yes"

Or something like that. Might be wise to get the most recent info before actually leaving on your trip, these border things can change quickly, but I doubt you'll have any problems.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I am looking for a ride across the border myself to pickup a vehicle. If anyone is flying down privately or small charter please let me know.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

I don't understand why people are confused about how the border works.

It doesn't matter if you fly, drive or boat. The rules are the same.

If you are picking up your personal plane on your personal time, you aren't crew. Sure, you can lie your way around it but that type of trip requires a 14 day self isolation upon return.

However, if you are deemed an essential worker and have to go to your job then the 14 day requirement is waived.

Some guy in Sault st. Marie has poked the hornets nest though recently as he was living in the u. S. but commuting to work in Canada. His company told him he'd have to self isolate for 14 days if he wanted to do it. He took them to court as he is deemed an essential and didn't want to move to Canada for the duration because of his dual custody kids from the u. S. The court agreed on the 14 day rule but said the company needs to protect everyone else still and that he'd be subject to their measures. From the sound of it, that guy is now on a loser shift and required to be in PPE most of the time by himself.

You too can waste your own time and money "fighting the system" if you desire you own solution but beware the consequences.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

molsonb

This isn’t a great place to ask this kind of complicated question. Expect opinion rather than an accurate answer.
Firstly, there is a story.
Secondly, there are the facts.
Your question is pretty barren as far as the facts are concerned.

1. Is the aircraft Canadian registered?
2. Is the aircraft a Commercial or Private airplane?
3. Who flew the aircraft to the States? The owner or yourself?
4. How did you enter the States or have you?
5. Are you a CPL holder?
6. Are you paid by this company or this owner to bring the airplane home?

Answers to these questions might help you get the answer you’re after.

Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 pm molsonb

This isn’t a great place to ask this kind of complicated question. Expect opinion rather than an accurate answer.
Firstly, there is a story.
Secondly, there are the facts.
Your question is pretty barren as far as the facts are concerned.

1. Is the aircraft Canadian registered?
2. Is the aircraft a Commercial or Private airplane?
3. Who flew the aircraft to the States? The owner or yourself?
4. How did you enter the States or have you?
5. Are you a CPL holder?
6. Are you paid by this company or this owner to bring the airplane home?

Answers to these questions might help you get the answer you’re after.

Gino
The OP says it's his personal plane that he's paying hangarage for in the u. S.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 pm
If you are picking up your personal plane onpersonal time, you aren't crew
Says who?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The Canadian Customs and Immigration laws say so. That’s who.
Try a google search and see how the federal statute defines “crew”.

We’ll wait.

Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm The Canadian Customs and Immigration laws say so. That’s who.
Try a google search and see how the federal statute defines “crew”.

We’ll wait.

Gino
Well, if you have a source, I'd be happy to read it.

Your google searches define it as a person who operates an airplane. Nothing is mentioned about the need to be paid or hired to fly.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... light+crew

On this US link, some references are found to contractors, but not in all of them.
https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/f ... rew-member

If we look at the transport canada definition, we find:
flight crew member means a crew member assigned to act as pilot or flight engineer of an aircraft during flight time;
with crew member defined as:
crew member means a person who is assigned to duty in an aircraft during flight time, or assigned to duty related to the operation of a remotely piloted aircraft system during flight time; (membre d’équipage)

Return to “General Comments”