250hr Pilot Advice

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 250hr Pilot Advice

Post by hithere »

The irony of this industry is that for the past 3 years(right up until Covid hit) all the attributes of hard work, pay your dues etc were thrown out the window. Seneca brats With rich parents and other entitled metrosexuals with 200 hrs got hired at Jazz etc and as soon as the ink was dry on their ATPL were hired at AC. Now we are back to the only people that this industry can attract are those who are willing to work their asses off in the middle of nowhere for the remote possibility of a King Air job for poverty wages until this nightmare ends.
---------- ADS -----------

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

hithere wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm Now we are back to the only people that this industry can attract are those who are willing to work their asses off in the middle of nowhere for the remote possibility of a King Air job for poverty wages until this nightmare ends.
Is THAT even an option right now? As a 250 hour wonder myself I can't seem to find anyone hiring right now.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

hithere wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm The irony of this industry is that for the past 3 years(right up until Covid hit) all the attributes of hard work, pay your dues etc were thrown out the window. Seneca brats With rich parents and other entitled metrosexuals with 200 hrs got hired at Jazz etc and as soon as the ink was dry on their ATPL were hired at AC. Now we are back to the only people that this industry can attract are those who are willing to work their asses off in the middle of nowhere for the remote possibility of a King Air job for poverty wages until this nightmare ends.
I'm trying to think of any other industry where a 22-25 year old doesn't have to work their ass off at the bottom.

I certainly did. Why is this a problem?

Clean toilets. I did at 20. You learn a lot by cleaning someone else's shit spread all over a bathroom.

Maybe that's beneath too many 20 something's.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Why do people in this horrible economy with all the airlines tanking want to work for complete shit pay at the bottom for maybe a chance in many years to sit possibly at the right seat to make more shit pay doing that. This is even if you get a slot. Why not get a decent job make money and rent planes and fly some adventures.Ive been looking at videos of guys flying single engine planes all around the place including around the world doing real flying, instead of rotate and arm the autopilot and fly to 500 above the deck and disarm the autopilot.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Just keep hacking at it. Eventually you will be in the right place at the right time. Be flexible.

And lastly, go to s c u d r u n n e r s . C o m. For future advice. More signal, less noise there.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

rotorspeed wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:46 am Why do people in this horrible economy with all the airlines tanking want to work for complete shit pay at the bottom for maybe a chance in many years to sit possibly at the right seat to make more shit pay doing that. This is even if you get a slot. Why not get a decent job make money and rent planes and fly some adventures.Ive been looking at videos of guys flying single engine planes all around the place including around the world doing real flying, instead of rotate and arm the autopilot and fly to 500 above the deck and disarm the autopilot.
1) Most careers require starting at the bottom for entry level pay. There is a very good reason they are called "entry level positions."
2) If it's a decent job and adventurous flying you're after, why not get a decent job that IS adventurous flying? There are plenty of them out there, especially in this country. No autopilot required.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In most jobs, an entry level position doesn’t last 10-15 years.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Are you suggesting that they do in aviation?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Maybe instructing

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 am Are you suggesting that they do in aviation?
If you read some of the posts here, you would. You have to pay your dues on the ramp, then you have to pay your dues as an underpaid FO on a clapped out navajo, then pay your dues as captain on said airplane with 3 days off every 2 weeks in the middle of a reserve, then pay your dues at jazz on reserve, pay your dues as a jazz captain, because it will get you to AC. When you finally make it to Air Canada, you will be on flat pay, because all the other guys have paid their dues, so you should to.

It could easily take 10 to 15 years, especially now, between getting your CPL and being off flat pay at AC, which seems to be the only place where you stop "paying your dues" for the most commonly craved career path.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 am

Clean toilets. I did at 20. You learn a lot by cleaning someone else's shit spread all over a bathroom.

In aviation, you can even have a job flying fancy planes where you still have to do this after 20 years in the industry :-D

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 am
hithere wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm The irony of this industry is that for the past 3 years(right up until Covid hit) all the attributes of hard work, pay your dues etc were thrown out the window. Seneca brats With rich parents and other entitled metrosexuals with 200 hrs got hired at Jazz etc and as soon as the ink was dry on their ATPL were hired at AC. Now we are back to the only people that this industry can attract are those who are willing to work their asses off in the middle of nowhere for the remote possibility of a King Air job for poverty wages until this nightmare ends.
I'm trying to think of any other industry where a 22-25 year old doesn't have to work their ass off at the bottom.

@#$! this I suffered so you need to as well mindset. This divisiveness we have is why people flying Metro's in the US make more than AC 777 Fo's! It helps nobody and creates animosity.

And considering most people who recently got their CPL will have $40k in university debt and $80k in flight school debt, I struggle to think of a career path that cost so much and will have you cleaning toilets and making less than 50k for nearly a decade if you average it out.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Oh my, 15 hypothetical years of perceived "suffering."
The melodrama is thick today.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 am Oh my, 15 hypothetical years of perceived "suffering."
The melodrama is thick today.
You're the only one calling it "suffering".

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Oh really. Are you sure?
gtappl wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 am @#$! this I suffered so you need to as well mindset.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:25 am Just keep hacking at it. Eventually you will be in the right place at the right time. Be flexible.

And lastly, go to s c u d r u n n e r s . C o m. For future advice. More signal, less noise there.
Yes, where you can see the wannabe triggered by a drama teacher over and over and over again.

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

AvCanada posters gotta be the whiniest community out there waaaawaaaah.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:25 amAnd lastly, go to s c u d r u n n e r s . C o m. For future advice. More signal, less noise there.
If you don't mind taking your advice from right wing loons.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

albertdesalvo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm
tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:25 amAnd lastly, go to s c u d r u n n e r s . C o m. For future advice. More signal, less noise there.
If you don't mind taking your advice from right wing loons.
Right wing loons that really know how to fly. Your feelings may get hurt, but the aviation advice is top notch.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

As long as you're a 250 and didn't spend 120k on your education doing airport management then it might be ok. Look at the USA, in Sept the government bailout for payroll ends. Youre going to see mass layoffs. I dont know if anyone else read this, pilots for icelandair will now be doing flight attendant duties

Return to “General Comments”