ADS-B equipment

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

light chop
Rank 3
Rank 3

ADS-B equipment

Post by light chop »

Watching traffic on Flightradar24 I see quite a few light aircraft are now equipped with ADS-B out. Seems like many of the flight schools have all their training aircraft equipped (out here in Alberta anyways) as well as privately registered machines.

Just curious - what equipment Is being installed for ADS-B out? (example Garmin GTX-345)

How about the diversity requirement? Are people getting both top and bottom antennas installed?

Thanks for any information!
---------- ADS -----------

Intentional Straight & Level Flight Prohibited
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: ADS-B equipment

Post by CpnCrunch »

tailbeaconX seems to be the only reasonably priced solution with diversity at the moment.

Last edited by CpnCrunch on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

GTX 345s are common for aircraft with Garmin navigators or amateur built with a G3X.

Stratus are very common on aircraft with legacy avionics.

I've seen a few Dynon 261s installed on amateur built.

Lots of private aircraft installed UAvionix 978s just to meet the US requirements. They now have a 1090 version that meets diversity requirements but must be mounted in the tail, most likely on the rudder. I've only seen a couple so far.

Basically everyone is ignoring the diversity requirement and just getting it done. The US requirements were very clear with lots of notice. NavCanada hasn't even published the requirements yet so no one is willing to spend money.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ahramin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:01 am
Basically everyone is ignoring the diversity requirement and just getting it done. The US requirements were very clear with lots of notice. NavCanada hasn't even published the requirements yet so no one is willing to spend money.
Do you know if the ADSB info that is being sent from the airplane indicates if it has a diversity antenna install or not? Do controllers have the ability see that you are using a non-diversity antenna install?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

digits_ wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am Do you know if the ADSB info that is being sent from the airplane indicates if it has a diversity antenna install or not? Do controllers have the ability see that you are using a non-diversity antenna install?
Either they'll see your signal or not. But, if you get a non-diverse solution you could end up having to replace it in a few years once Nav Canada requires satellite ADS-B for everyone in class C airspace. The tailbeaconX is a pretty low priced solution, so it seems to be the best option at the moment (if it is available for your aircraft).

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:58 am
digits_ wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am Do you know if the ADSB info that is being sent from the airplane indicates if it has a diversity antenna install or not? Do controllers have the ability see that you are using a non-diversity antenna install?
Either they'll see your signal or not. But, if you get a non-diverse solution you could end up having to replace it in a few years once Nav Canada requires satellite ADS-B for everyone in class C airspace. The tailbeaconX is a pretty low priced solution, so it seems to be the best option at the moment (if it is available for your aircraft).
TailBeaconX is reasonably priced but it does require another $1500-$3000 head to interface with it. It’s a whole new transponder unlike the SkyBeacon that intercepts your existing transponder signal and adds on the ADS-B portion via UAT. They don’t really mention the new head unless you start looking into it. It still might end up being less expensive than other ADS-B out solutions with diversity though.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

flyguy73 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:47 pm TailBeaconX is reasonably priced but it does require another $1500-$3000 head to interface with it. It’s a whole new transponder unlike the SkyBeacon that intercepts your existing transponder signal and adds on the ADS-B portion via UAT. They don’t really mention the new head unless you start looking into it. It still might end up being less expensive than other ADS-B out solutions with diversity though.
Yes, you're right. Cost is US$4,694.00 in total. Quite a lot of money to add ADS-D, although still cheaper than the Garmin GTX 335D.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

digits_ wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am
ahramin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:01 am
Do you know if the ADSB info that is being sent from the airplane indicates if it has a diversity antenna install or not? Do controllers have the ability see that you are using a non-diversity antenna install?
I don't think the capability report includes diversity information but I haven't looked for sure. There is no Surveillance Equipment code on ICAO flight plans to indicate diversity. As for what the controllers see, the other day someone on frequency asked the controller if their ADS-B was working and the answer was "We don't see any of that". I gave him his ident and groundspeed but many of these systems are being installed incorrectly and not checked on the ground as per CARs and then flying around. Last month I found a mode S transponder in a Stinson that had been reporting the wrong ident for six years. Nobody takes 625 Appendix C seriously in Canada, including Transport Canada.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:58 am
On the other hand, you could end up spending a whole pile of money to meet a requirement that may never exist.

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

I have installed a GTX-345 in my Bell.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I was going to equip the skybeacon 978 on my friends 172, but I think I'll wait for the tailbeacon X now. more expensive and you need to buy a control head, but it seems to be the most logical solution and should work in Canada. You also get a brand new mode S transponder as part of the package and an EFIS AI as part of the control head.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

If we were only allowed to have this.

https://www.uavionix.com.au/news/skyech ... australia/

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

If I lived closer to the border I'd equip with U.S.-spec ADS-B out and hope for an upgrade path in the future.

Since I don't, I won't.

...laura

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Kejidog wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:50 pm If we were only allowed to have this.

https://www.uavionix.com.au/news/skyech ... australia/
I'm genuinely shocked CASA approved that. They're worse for GA than TC is up here. That would be amazing if we could get something like that. Not crossing my fingers that TC or the FAA will ever approve something so... simple.

Return to “General Comments”