Traning bond or ... non flying job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ChiefTraining
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Traning bond or ... non flying job

Post by ChiefTraining »

A training bond is a waste of time. Unless you're very senior at Jazz, I wouldn't expect a call back to work for at least a year.
If you are receiving COVID pay (supplemented by Jazz) you are probably getting about the same as a 703 operator can afford to pay anyway, so unless you REALLY need the flight time, DON'T do it.
---------- ADS -----------

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Lots of good advice earlier on (and some standard nonsensical avcanada rants - someone has to do it I guess??).

During these times of uncertainty, take the job if it is right for your situation. Still think in terms of the 1 year, 5 year, 25 year planning, but at the moment there's something to be said for just having a seat.

Ideally, no bond. Second best, promissory note. Third, a training bond. It may be a while before airlines can really scale back up their operations. If I were in your shoes, if its a good job (ie King Air captain making decent money at a decent company), I'd do it. Even if it means signing a bond. Just be open with the company about your situation.

Be sure to understand your CBA, and especially your recall rights and the potential impact of a deferral, and try to figure out some worst case/best case realistic timelines based on your own seniority.

Best of luck.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Take the job if its one you see yourself doing for a year or so.
you're not going to get called back soon anyway, and companies resume piles will just keep getting bigger with higher time pilots.

As for training bonds, if an employer tries to sneak one in on you during recurrent ask for an education tax receipt for CRA - that will get them off your back. Short answer they're not legal. A more civil approach would be to point out you're not going anywhere soon anyway.

Stay healthy, good luck all.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

ChiefTraining wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:34 pm If you are receiving COVID pay (supplemented by Jazz) you are probably getting about the same as a 703 operator can afford to pay anyway, so unless you REALLY need the flight time, DON'T do it.
And there lies a real problem with these support programs. People have the attitude that they have the right to collect CERB, CEWS or EI just because it ‘pays’ more.

I get that the government needed to quickly get money out to people that needed support. The unintended result is that people are now refusing to go back to work because they are getting CERB. No this is not ‘fake news’. I have personally been told this by many business owners that can’t get their employees to come back because the government pays more. A few have told me it is limiting their ability to get their business back to normal. Where my daughter works, people are refusing work or calling in sick regularly so their pay does not affect their CERB.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I would never have considered turning down a job to stay on government assistance. I have been out of work several times in this industry and sure I have collected EI for a few weeks here and there to get me through and I was grateful for that. I also vowed the last time to ‘self-insure’ so I didn’t have to rely on anything else. Ever since then I have at least 6 months of expenses in reserve just in case.

Where is people’s pride these day? Nobody owes you anything and I would never consider turning down any work that gets me off public assistance. But hey, I guess that’s just me.

Rant over....

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

47north wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:22 am
ChiefTraining wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:34 pm If you are receiving COVID pay (supplemented by Jazz) you are probably getting about the same as a 703 operator can afford to pay anyway, so unless you REALLY need the flight time, DON'T do it.
And there lies a real problem with these support programs. People have the attitude that they have the right to collect CERB, CEWS or EI just because it ‘pays’ more.

I get that the government needed to quickly get money out to people that needed support. The unintended result is that people are now refusing to go back to work because they are getting CERB. No this is not ‘fake news’. I have personally been told this by many business owners that can’t get their employees to come back because the government pays more. A few have told me it is limiting their ability to get their business back to normal. Where my daughter works, people are refusing work or calling in sick regularly so their pay does not affect their CERB.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I would never have considered turning down a job to stay on government assistance. I have been out of work several times in this industry and sure I have collected EI for a few weeks here and there to get me through and I was grateful for that. I also vowed the last time to ‘self-insure’ so I didn’t have to rely on anything else. Ever since then I have at least 6 months of expenses in reserve just in case.

Where is people’s pride these day? Nobody owes you anything and I would never consider turning down any work that gets me off public assistance. But hey, I guess that’s just me.

Rant over....
Good read about Canadians and their lust for government handouts...

https://apple.news/AyYBoc6f1SPmP1pA3jl_OoQ

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Rant over....
Why people wouldn’t use government’s assistance when governments have been using people’s assistance for centuries? I mean they’ve been collecting a large part of your income since your first day of work...but i guess this is normal in your opinion. Yes they owe us something and EI, CERB, CEWS is just peanuts imho.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

The money previously collected from our pay has been spent long ago. The money being thrown around now will most definitely cause an increase in income tax, HST, property tax and result in a change to primary residence capital gains exemptions. The money being thrown around now will Not be paid off in your lifetime.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

FL320 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:41 am

Rant over....
Why people wouldn’t use government’s assistance when governments have been using people’s assistance for centuries? I mean they’ve been collecting a large part of your income since your first day of work...but i guess this is normal in your opinion. Yes they owe us something and EI, CERB, CEWS is just peanuts imho.
$400 billion and counting for CERB, CEWS, Seniors benefit (WTF was that - giving $300 to a demographic whose income wasn't affected?). Likely more when the Liberals present their throne speech with a rumored plan to 'remake' society. is just peanuts? You, your children, grand children and their offspring are going to be paying for this for decades.

I have no issue paying tax and EI premiums to fund government and provide programs like EI for people when they need them; part of living in a civilized society. However, the fact that people think they are 'owed' something is just wrong. How about me? Am I owed something when someone defrauds the system by not taking a job when offered? Should I as taxpayer be paying for someone to sit on their couch and play video games because it is easier then going to work? I think not and if the majority of society today thinks it's OK then we are trouble.

I have taken jobs where I literally shoveled s**t, cleaned bathrooms, etc. just to make ends meet. If you are offered a job, you should get off your *ss and take it until a better one comes along. That's called being a responsible adult.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

If your business can’t attract employees, it isn’t paying them enough.

If it can’t afford to pay them enough, then it is sustained only by the charity of employees willing to work for those wages.

Low pay and lack of sick pay is why we are in this mess in the first place.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I don't get the shitting on small business in this country. It's an endless theme on AvCanada, while worshipping Big Red.

At the same time, you have posters bitching about how much flight training costs, or how much an overhaul costs. Want better wages at small businesses? Pay up as the customer, and don't bitch! Or should the owner work for free?

At least BEFORE you comment peeps understand the state of small business in this country.

How many of you posting deliberately chose to support small businesses with your own money? Stop supporting the parasites that dominate the economy, actively evade tax, and work their employees to the bone.

I put Amazon, Uber, Grubhub, and many others in that category. Tim Hortons. Parasites.

Stop supporting the chains. Support small business or STFU.

Air Canada?

Begging for bailouts while sending their money overseas for maintenance. Yeah ... loyal Canadians they are.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I do not normally agree with what you say on here, but you raise a very good point there. Corporate welfare is fine, but for the small earners it isn't. That is where there is hypocrisy. But people get away with what they can. Nobody has to agree w them and let them get away with it. "but the shareholders!". Yeah right...

Return to “General Comments”