Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by fishface »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:25 am
montado wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:37 pmMy problem is the government has set the rules for what risk is okay and what risks are not. Maybe my values are not completely inline with those values. So the government has elected to @#$! our industry, yet gyms are open and covid is spreading within the gyms because you remove your mask as per the policy. So the whole mask rules makes winners and losers because the government decides where to give some flexibility for risk and also decides who gets shut down completely.
Maybe keep in mind that these policies are being made by people whose job it is, likely 24/7 these days, to evaluate these risks in detail and rank them. A whole network of scientists, epidemiologists, statisticians, etc. who have access to the latest scientific knowledge as it's coming in.

Do you not think that they have a better handle on the situation than you, an unemployed pilot who likely has zero training in any of those fields, isn't reading the latest medical research, and simply doesn't like wearing masks?
So are you wearing a mask while having sex as per Tamtams latest advice? :rolleyes:
Normally I’d agree but since the start of this thing, the “experts” have been way off. Nobody has a god damn clue.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fishface wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 am Normally I’d agree but since the start of this thing, the “experts” have been way off. Nobody has a god damn clue.
So we're supposed to take your advise instead?

Where people follow expert advice the infections go down. Where economies open up while following expert advice the infection rate increase is controlled. Where people ignore expert advice infections go up uncontrollably. The evidence proving these statements is everywhere and in the open fishface, you just have to open your eyes and pay attention. So open your eyes and pay attention.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

I think we all need to open our eyes and pay attention. The fact of the matter is nobody knows shit. Every countries experts have their own expert opinion. So who is right? It’s been nothing but contradictions since the start.
Didn’t Israel announce they had a vaccine a month or so ago?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

fishface wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:11 am I think we all need to open our eyes and pay attention. The fact of the matter is nobody knows shit. Every countries experts have their own expert opinion. So who is right? It’s been nothing but contradictions since the start.
Didn’t Israel announce they had a vaccine a month or so ago?
God, you are such a drama queen and misinformed at that. There are several vaccines in testing right now around the world.

The facts are out there if you bothered to look, we've taken a very modest approach here in Canada and we are doing very well.

What do you think are the contradictions? Do you not understand the reason for adapting your gameplan to a changing and fluid situation?

Also, it seems you have a personal problem with Dr. Theresa Tam. She is a well educated doctor who never expected to have to deal with a situation on such a scale, imo she's been doing well despite the expected criticism from the interweebs. She is also the public voice for our country's health care system and is disseminating information from other global health organizations.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

fishface wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 amSo are you wearing a mask while having sex as per Tamtams latest advice? :rolleyes:
I guess I should know better than to feed the trolls, but this *is* AvCanada I guess... :roll:

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Does anyone think there is anything political about this pandemic? I have. A prediction. After the USA election the pandemic will quietly go away.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am Does anyone think there is anything political about this pandemic? I have. A prediction. After the USA election the pandemic will quietly go away.
I think trump will win again, I'd vote for him. Hes not the greatest person, but hes much better than all the other shitty options. :smt040

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:11 pm He gets it, he just doesn't give a shit. It's easy in a time like this to see who actually GAS about neighbors, and who lives in the 'its all about me, screw the rest of you' kind of world.
Which is also why Asian cultures, which tend to value the community over the individual, have absolutely made a joke of Western cultures, which tend to value the individual over the collective, in the handling of a global pandemic.

Now, there are downsides to both ways of doing things, but when it comes to a highly infectious disease...

Just listen to the temper tantrums over even the suggestion of voluntary WEARING OF CLOTH MASKS!

Amazing.

When I read things like this and see the brave rugged individualists spouting their bullshit about their "rights" regarding something so simple I just think, "maybe we DO just deserve to all die". :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am I have. A prediction. After the USA election the pandemic will quietly go away.
That's a relief. Don't forget to tell the 870,000+ dead people they can come back to life because the US election is over.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Rockie wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am
montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am I have. A prediction. After the USA election the pandemic will quietly go away.
That's a relief. Don't forget to tell the 870,000+ dead people they can come back to life because the US election is over.
You mean along with the other 30 million people who have passed away since march of many different causes?

People want to compare this virus to the Spanish flu. The Spanish flu wiped out over 3 percent of the world population. Covid so far has done what less than 0.01 percent of the world population? Still less deadly than heart disease and cancer?

Definitely political because the logic doesn't add up. Teachers are out screaming people will die! Yet death trends vs rate of infection show covid is not really that deadly and becoming less deadly.

Other possible reason for the fear pumping maybe it's climate change. If we convince everyone covid is bad enough maybe we can just bring air travel to a halt and reduce carbon footprint. The funny part is you can have any motive you like and just scream "you could die!" And that's all it takes to keep the pandemic rolling.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I like this take.

Attachments
5A6C2E5C-3353-4C5D-9B8A-7EA5B1F0F021.jpeg
5A6C2E5C-3353-4C5D-9B8A-7EA5B1F0F021.jpeg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 931 times
northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:31 pm I like this take.
If the government told everyone put the fork in an electrical socket, most people would. Sad.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Evolution has taught us to comply, And that I do, as I wear my mask.

You know when you hit a red light at 3am and haven't seen a car for 5 km... The other direction has the walk signal... Time is passing. It makes zero sense to sit at the red light but you can't think for yourself. It's the law to sit at that red light. Common sense is not allowed. What if the traffic sensor doesn't pick up your vehicle and the light won't change? Do you reverse and try to move over it... Ah there! The flashing hand! Now just another 30 seconds and I'll get the green. I can finally keep driving on the empty street.

Funny you tell me to use my brain rockie, as that's exactly what I have been doing. I have been reading a lot about the pandemic. I think what you really meant to say is don't think just do as you're told.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:43 pm You know when you hit a red light at 3am and haven't seen a car for 5 km... The other direction has the walk signal... Time is passing. It makes zero sense to sit at the red light but you can't think for yourself. It's the law to sit at that red light. Common sense is not allowed. What if the traffic sensor doesn't pick up your vehicle and the light won't change? Do you reverse and try to move over it... Ah there! The flashing hand! Now just another 30 seconds and I'll get the green. I can finally keep driving on the empty street.
WTF are you talking about here? Try and stay on topic.
montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:43 pm Funny you tell me to use my brain rockie, as that's exactly what I have been doing. I have been reading a lot about the pandemic.
Let me know when you've read as much as the people with PHD's in viral diseases and I may give what you say some serious consideration.
montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:43 pm I think what you really meant to say is don't think just do as you're told.
You're absolutely correct, because what you're thinking is complete, uninformed nonsense. So do the people around you a favour and just do as you're told.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

northernpilot2 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:30 pm If the government told everyone put the fork in an electrical socket, most people would. Sad.
It isn’t the government telling them to do that, it’s the selfish and inept crusaders in the anti-mask brigade.

Last edited by Capt. Underpants on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm The Spanish flu wiped out over 3 percent of the world population. Covid so far has done what less than 0.01 percent of the world population? Still less deadly than heart disease and cancer?

Well, the "first wave" of Spanish flu in the first quarter of 1918 didn't kill very many people, comparatively. No quarantines or preventive measures were instituted, and there were about 75,000 flu-related deaths in the United States (where the "Spanish" flu actually originated) versus around 63,000 for a similar time-period in 1915. So roughly 15,000 people in the United States died in six months during the first wave of Spanish Flu.

We're about six months into the CV-19 pandemic, and, just to keep the numbers relative, we'll use the United States again, which has had 191,000 deaths, or about twelve times the 1918 number, in the last six months, or "first wave"... in a country with a population only three times higher than it was in 1918.

So it looks sort of like the CV-19 is about four times deadlier in the United States than the Spanish flu was, if you want to compare timelines.

This is despite the better hygiene, better medical treatments, better communication, and the fact that at least SOME people are actually trying to stay separate from each other.

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm Definitely political because the logic doesn't add up.
Well actually it sort of does.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

montado wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:43 pm You know when you hit a red light at 3am and haven't seen a car for 5 km... The other direction has the walk signal... Time is passing. It makes zero sense to sit at the red light but you can't think for yourself. It's the law to sit at that red light. Common sense is not allowed. What if the traffic sensor doesn't pick up your vehicle and the light won't change? Do you reverse and try to move over it... Ah there! The flashing hand! Now just another 30 seconds and I'll get the green. I can finally keep driving on the empty street.
I used to run the red light all the time after making sure it was safe to cross. After I did it many times, I got a letter in the mail warning me about not doing it again. Lol. They have hidden cameras these days. Our government is very desperate for cash, they love to target drivers, hence all these stupid rules. Common sense is out the window. You must follow step A- stop, Step B- look, Step C- gas pedal, and so on... I just wish the cops weren't as stupid as the politicians, then we can get somewhere.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

northernpilot2 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 pm [quote=montado post_id=<a href="tel:1126345">1126345</a> time=<a href="tel:1599259434">1599259434</a> user_id=54503]
You know when you hit a red light at 3am and haven't seen a car for 5 km... The other direction has the walk signal... Time is passing. It makes zero sense to sit at the red light but you can't think for yourself. It's the law to sit at that red light. Common sense is not allowed. What if the traffic sensor doesn't pick up your vehicle and the light won't change? Do you reverse and try to move over it... Ah there! The flashing hand! Now just another 30 seconds and I'll get the green. I can finally keep driving on the empty street.
I used to run the red light all the time.
[/quote]

Of course you did, the “except northernpilot2” sign obviously fell off.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

I’ve tried to not post but I just can’t restrain myself anymore
To all the people afraid of the virus -please, just go to stats Canada and look at the charts for “excess mortality”
You may be surprised to see that excess deaths are not killing Canadians in mass numbers.
I just looked, again, and there are many weeks of negative ‘excess deaths’ during this pandemic. There is even a note regarding one week in Nova Scotia when 37 excess deaths were reported-DONT get excited to think this number supports the fear agenda, the note attributes that high number to the mass shooting, not covid.
Just remember, most deaths are in LTC homes, so the virus killing these people is likely just speeding up the deaths of people that would most likely have died soon anyways, and don’t reply with “oh so you think old people’s lives don’t matter...”-the fact is we all die, and people in LTC homes are generally elderly and vulnerable and likely to die sooner rather than later.
Ask yourself, why is the media only reporting and repeating the numbers of cases’-as of cases mean automatic deaths. There is very little being said about hospitalization rates and ICU patients. Remember this was all about not overwhelming the health care system, that was accomplished BEFORE mask use.
The curve was flattened BEFORE mask use. The narrative has changed to one of “ifs” and “maybes” to keep the fear going.

If you’re not over 65 with serious underlying conditions then you are fine. People over 65 with serious underlying conditions are over 90% of deaths. That would leave about 1000 people dead over 6 months from this virus, over the same time period 135 000 Canadians have died of other causes. Diabetes and obesity account for 20% of deaths, that is far far more than covid.

So, to summarize, look at the hard data and the numbers and stop listening to the fear narrative being constantly repeated by the media as if we were all about to die if you don’t wear a mask.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

hotdog1 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:43 am I’ve tried to not post but I just can’t restrain myself anymore
To all the people afraid of the virus -please, just go to stats Canada and look at the charts for “excess mortality”
You may be surprised to see that excess deaths are not killing Canadians in mass numbers.
I just looked, again, and there are many weeks of negative ‘excess deaths’ during this pandemic. There is even a note regarding one week in Nova Scotia when 37 excess deaths were reported-DONT get excited to think this number supports the fear agenda, the note attributes that high number to the mass shooting, not covid.
Just remember, most deaths are in LTC homes, so the virus killing these people is likely just speeding up the deaths of people that would most likely have died soon anyways, and don’t reply with “oh so you think old people’s lives don’t matter...”-the fact is we all die, and people in LTC homes are generally elderly and vulnerable and likely to die sooner rather than later.
Ask yourself, why is the media only reporting and repeating the numbers of cases’-as of cases mean automatic deaths. There is very little being said about hospitalization rates and ICU patients. Remember this was all about not overwhelming the health care system, that was accomplished BEFORE mask use.
The curve was flattened BEFORE mask use. The narrative has changed to one of “ifs” and “maybes” to keep the fear going.

If you’re not over 65 with serious underlying conditions then you are fine. People over 65 with serious underlying conditions are over 90% of deaths. That would leave about 1000 people dead over 6 months from this virus, over the same time period 135 000 Canadians have died of other causes. Diabetes and obesity account for 20% of deaths, that is far far more than covid.

So, to summarize, look at the hard data and the numbers and stop listening to the fear narrative being constantly repeated by the media as if we were all about to die if you don’t wear a mask.
You should have kept refraining, the majority is not all, leaving some risk for otherwise healthy young adults who would otherwise have lived long lives, who are you to decide that wearing a mask for those people is too much to ask.
How about the young healthy who contract it and bring it home to their elderly parents who is living with them because, they’re young enough not to need a care home.
Put yourself in the position of killing your elderly parent, the damage that would do to your psyche, to your marriage, to your relationship with your siblings and so on. Is a mask so much trouble to ask for, I mean if you don’t give a shit about the 1 foot in the grave LTC residents, at least the ones that were likely to lead a somewhat healthy golden years.
I have a parent living with me, I’m very careful going out and about but even before she moved in, I was taking those precautions, I was even wearing a mask before it became such a huge inconvenience for the inconsiderate aholes, who apparently don’t have anyone in their life worth the small yet apparently effective measure.
I honestly don’t understand why this is even a thing, even if it had a 10% chance of being 40% effective, I would still do it

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

Return to “General Comments”