Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by iflyforpie »

That’s a poor analogy. One that has killed a lot of pilots and their passengers when the guy signing the cheques told them to do stupid things they should have said no to. Pilots always have to use their critical thinking skills when operating an airplane.

For masks, though.

Mask policy is harmless.

While I am in the camp that it doesn’t actually do anything other than make people feel like they are doing something, it doesn’t cost anything and isn’t really that freedom-robbing.

Come on.. nobody’s rights are being violated here. You’re free to prance around naked in your own home.. are you going to make that another hill to die on because you can’t do it in an airliner?
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

iflyforpie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm Mask policy is harmless.
Ignoring the mask policy though is not harmless, and denying that masks are effective is like denying gravity because you can’t see it. Even if one lacks the mental horsepower to understand on their own how a barrier works they only need to google it. That would require looking at something other than conspiracy sites though which is obviously a bridge too far for them.

Everybody has for their whole life seen in movies and TV shows medical personel in operating rooms during surgery wearing the very same blue masks you see everywhere now. All this time these idiots thought the masks are there to protect the doctor?

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:07 am
Ignoring the mask policy though is not harmless, and denying that masks are effective is like denying gravity because you can’t see it. Even if one lacks the mental horsepower to understand on their own how a barrier works they only need to google it. That would require looking at something other than conspiracy sites though which is obviously a bridge too far for them.
Hahaha
You said you had given up trying to convince all the stupid, dense people that don’t believe in mask policy.
But you continue to respond. I guess that makes you a liar, and therefore have no credibility
But then again your arguments of name calling, that you continue to do, had no scientific credibility to begin with.
Maybe you should just wear a complete HAZMAT suit,that would keep you safe from the environmental contagions filling the air.
Is Marc garneau a conspiracy theorist? Didn’t he say they were only two suspected cases of covid transmission in airplanes??? He didn’t even confirm the transmission, just suspected. He IS one of the experts you believe. I guess it’s easy to be scared by “ifs” and “maybes” if you are easily frightened and unable to think for yourself.

I also like how you call people conspiracy theorists and in the same sentence tell people to ‘google’ the evidence! Now that’s the pot calling the kettle black lol

PS-using a false anology of peoples knowledge of mask use to denial of gravity is a very weak attempt to demean someone’s intelligence. But then again, it’s what people have come to expext from your posts-that is arrogance, self righteousness and the need to insult, call names and belittle someone in the attempt to make yourself look smart.

How about just one post with factual evidence, and quantitative scientific evidence to prove your points.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You should read my post again, I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’d have better luck trying to teach my dog to wash the car.

The point I was making is that people like you are idiots, and the quantitative evidence proving that point are your posts on this thread.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 am You should read my post again, I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’d have better luck trying to teach my dog to wash the car.

The point I was making is that people like you are idiots, and the quantitative evidence proving that point are your posts on this thread.
Hahaha
Maybe you should be a better dog trainer then.
My dog can get beers out of the fridge AND put the empties in the recycling bin.
You don’t use quantitative evidence, because you have none.
If you continue to reply to people you think are “idiots”, what does that make you?? Lol
Are you solely on here arguing to make yourself feel better by trying to demean people?? What is your purpose exactly??

I have seen opinions on both sides for this thread, many of them are polar opposite and yet they are mature enough to disagree without the name calling. You should try it.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:23 am
Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:07 am
Hahaha
You said you had given up trying to convince all the stupid, dense people that don’t believe in mask policy.
But you continue to respond. I guess that makes you a liar, and therefore have no credibility
But then again your arguments of name calling, that you continue to do, had no scientific credibility to begin with.
Maybe you should just wear a complete HAZMAT suit,that would keep you safe from the environmental contagions filling the air.
Is Marc garneau a conspiracy theorist? Didn’t he say they were only two suspected cases of covid transmission in airplanes??? He didn’t even confirm the transmission, just suspected. He IS one of the experts you believe. I guess it’s easy to be scared by “ifs” and “maybes” if you are easily frightened and unable to think for yourself.

I also like how you call people conspiracy theorists and in the same sentence tell people to ‘google’ the evidence! Now that’s the pot calling the kettle black lol

PS-using a false anology of peoples knowledge of mask use to denial of gravity is a very weak attempt to demean someone’s intelligence. But then again, it’s what people have come to expext from your posts-that is arrogance, self righteousness and the need to insult, call names and belittle someone in the attempt to make yourself look smart.

How about just one post with factual evidence, and quantitative scientific evidence to prove your points.
Why do you keep bringing up these 2 suspected cases on airplanes, mask use has been enforced on airplanes since April, it has been policy, not recommended, policy and now mandatory with travel bans if you won’t comply. So, these 2 cases you seem to want to hang your entire argument on have been with majority use of masks on airplanes, very few exceptions.
The problem with the argument against mask use, mostly you say there is no proof it works, there is more proof now that it does to an extent and as part of the total measures in place, it all helps. So, while there is no definitive proof yet, it’s worth the small effort required to help control the spread.
Read the entire article below, you may find some useful information, wear a mask AND keep your distance, wash your hands, help keep the vulnerable safe. Thank you!

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/07/41818 ... k-covid-19

“One More Reason to Wear a Mask: You’ll Get Less Sick From COVID-19

While it’s true that most face masks are more effective in preventing you from launching droplets into the air than breathing in already dispersed droplets – that doesn’t mean masks offer no protection to the wearer.

In February, one of the first outbreaks of COVID-19 outside of China occurred on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Yokohama, Japan. Of the 634 people on board who tested positive, about 18 percent of infections were asymptomatic. In March, an Argentinian cruise ship found itself in a similar predicament, but of the 128 people on board who eventually tested positive, 81 percent were asymptomatic.

A key difference, Gandhi noted, was that on the Argentinian ship, surgical masks were issued to all passengers and N95 masks to all staff as soon as the first passenger became sick“

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 am My dog can get beers out of the fridge AND put the empties in the recycling bin.
Maybe I should talk to your dog instead.

I’m curious Hotdog what you will do if you’re called upon to resolve a situation where an anti-masker like yourself refuses to wear a mask or put it on properly, which unfortunately has been happening regularly.

Do you say it’s his right not to wear it and it’s all bullshit anyway?

Do you wink and ask him to put it on to satisfy the snowflake sitting beside him?

Do you wink and say “the rules say I have to blah, blah, blah....”?

Do you choke on the words? Can you bring yourself to give the heave-ho to somebody just like you?

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 am
hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 am My dog can get beers out of the fridge AND put the empties in the recycling bin.

I’m curious Hotdog what you will do if you’re called upon to resolve a situation where an anti-masker like yourself refuses to wear a mask or put it on properly, which unfortunately has been happening regularly.

Do you wink and ask him to put it on to satisfy the snowflake sitting beside him?

Do you choke on the words? Can you bring yourself to give the heave-ho to somebody just like you?

That’s exactly what I do! It is all bullshit. Does your mask policy say my mask has to be sterile/clean? Or could I blow my nose in my handkerchief and then wear it as a face covering to satisfy you.
Depending on where the self righteousness person like yourself starts the confrontation. Don’t forget people have exemptions for medical reasons and cannot be denied service and you have no right to ask what their medical condition is-that is in the charter of rights and freedoms. And before you go all nutty, remember I said it depended on where the confrontation occurs.
Why would I give the heave ho to someone like me? Oh wait, that’s just your way of trying to put words in someone’s mouth to try and make a false assumption.

But on a positive note, you made a whole reply without directly using deragatory name calling! Good for you, you are improving. All though your high and mighty attitude stills needs some work lol

And I haven’t worn a mask yet, haven’t been to jail or fined and haven’t murderer anyone with spreading the virus, you should feel good about that lol

Also, you should look up what most people mean when they say they “give up”, cause since you made that statement you are doing the opposite of what you said. Lol guess you just can’t live by your own words lol

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:13 am

That’s exactly what I do! It is all bullshit. Does your mask policy say my mask has to be sterile/clean? Or could I blow my nose in my handkerchief and then wear it as a face covering to satisfy you.
Depending on where the self righteousness person like yourself starts the confrontation. Don’t forget people have exemptions for medical reasons and cannot be denied service and you have no right to ask what their medical condition is-that is in the charter of rights and freedoms. And before you go all nutty, remember I said it depended on where the confrontation occurs.
Why would I give the heave ho to someone like me? Oh wait, that’s just your way of trying to put words in someone’s mouth to try and make a false assumption.

But on a positive note, you made a whole reply without directly using deragatory name calling! Good for you, you are improving. All though your high and mighty attitude stills needs some work lol

And I haven’t worn a mask yet, haven’t been to jail or fined and haven’t murderer “yet, that I know of(my correction)”anyone with spreading the virus, you should feel good about that lol

Also, you should look up what most people mean when they say they “give up”, cause since you made that statement you are doing the opposite of what you said. Lol guess you just can’t live by your own words lol
I really can’t think of a reasonable medical reason for not wearing a mask but also abusing that exemptions makes life difficult for people who really do need it. I would be surprised if you didn’t need a medical note from your doctor to use that though.
You don’t seem to reply to posts with links to or a direct rebuttal to your assertions, you seem fixated on antagonizing Rockie, however I am curious where do you sit on medical exemptions to wearing a helmet on a motorcycle?
You see, I have two thoughts on that, first, I think if you don’t wear a helmet it’s almost certainly a death sentence if you do crash so fill your boots. The second, if you don’t die, the tax payer assumes the risk of the cost to the medical system but again you not wearing a helmet is not likely going to be the direct cause of death to another person, so not quite the same as asking you to wear a mask but correlates to government interference of your right to kill yourself.
I actually could have a medical exemptions for wearing a helmet, legitimately but I’m not stupid, I know the risk so wearing it although it causes me personally some pain, I ride anyway and wear it, a full face, not those brain bowls.
If you know there is risk of spreading the virus to others, not guaranteed but the risk is still there, what possible GOOD reason could a reasonable person have for not?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Are you a pilot Hotdog? Honest question and not a prelude to an insult. Airline?

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 am Are you a pilot Hotdog? Honest question and not a prelude to an insult. Airline?
Not that it’s relevant, but maybe I am.
Why would that matter? Let me guess, you’re going to start down the road of ‘if your company tells you to, do you it? Or tell the company it’s bull shot?’ Or something along that line to try and prove that I am in contradiction to myself.
It doesn’t matter, if the company decides the new uniform requires pointy magician hats for magical safety as a precaution against something that might happen, then I guess the employees wear the hat or not. But that does not apply to passengers or customers. The company can even claim that the pointy magical hats are effective, since the magic hat policy, there haven’t been any accidents. So they must work, wear your hat! Lol

So maybe I am a pilot. Does that concern you that a competent pilot with over 15 yrs of no accidents/incidents or disciplinary actions could have such CRAZY ideas about masks???lol

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

“Yes” would have sufficed.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:51 am
hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:13 am

And I haven’t worn a mask yet, haven’t been to jail or fined and haven’t murderer “yet, that I know of(my correction)”anyone with spreading the virus, you should feel good about that lol

I really can’t think of a reasonable medical reason for not wearing a mask but also abusing that exemptions makes life difficult for people who really do need it. I would be surprised if you didn’t need a medical note from your doctor to use that though.
You don’t seem to reply to posts with links to or a direct rebuttal to your assertions, you seem fixated on antagonizing Rockie, however I am curious where do you sit on medical exemptions to wearing a helmet on a motorcycle?
You see, I have two thoughts on that, first, I think if you don’t wear a helmet it’s almost certainly a death sentence if you do crash so fill your boots. The second, if you don’t die, the tax payer assumes the risk of the cost to the medical system but again you not wearing a helmet is not likely going to be the direct cause of death to another person, so not quite the same as asking you to wear a mask but correlates to government interference of your right to kill yourself.
I actually could have a medical exemptions for wearing a helmet, legitimately but I’m not stupid, I know the risk so wearing it although it causes me personally some pain, I ride anyway and wear it, a full face, not those brain bowls.
If you know there is risk of spreading the virus to others, not guaranteed but the risk is still there, what possible GOOD reason could a reasonable person have for not?

You can’t think of a medical reason that could prevent you from wearing a mask??
So you don’t believe in mental illness? PTSD or anxiety??
It’s possible-I’ve read about people-who have suffered trauma and cannot wear anything covering their faces. Sexual assault victims who had their faces covered during the assault is one example. Now the ptsd from that trauma can be triggered by something over their face.
There is more than “it doesn’t interfere with your breathing...” as medical exemptions.

As for antagonizing your pal rockie, don’t blame me. He’s an adult (I assume) and attempts to troll as much as he gets lol

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

hotdog,

Do you wear a seatbelt in your car? Do you wear a harness/belt in an aircraft?

Going for the deck at corner
hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:43 am hotdog,

Do you wear a seatbelt in your car? Do you wear a harness/belt in an aircraft?

Your question is what is known as a false equivalency.
My seatbelt does not protect you, like people claim the mask does if I wear it.
And like I said before, there is no requirement that my mask be hygienic or clean -I could blow my nose in it, wear it and the pro maskers would happy. And in fact would be in more peril from catching anything contagious from my snotty, contaminated mask.

If I wear a seatbelt, it is to protect myself firstly, secondly to avoid a fine from the police and thirdly to fulfill my insurance companies requirements to qualify for my insurance.

RWETHRYET
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RWETHRYET »

Canadas largest nurses group has already proven in court masks are useless in stopping the spread of flu like viruses

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... sZ34ael31w

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Scary that nurses don't know about droplets. Though not surprising.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

RWETHRYET wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 am Canadas largest nurses group has already proven in court masks are useless in stopping the spread of flu like viruses

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... sZ34ael31w
Apples and oranges. Flu is not spread by people who are asymptomatic.

Biff
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Biff »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:21 am
Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 am Are you a pilot Hotdog? Honest question and not a prelude to an insult. Airline?
Not that it’s relevant, but maybe I am.
Why would that matter? Let me guess, you’re going to start down the road of ‘if your company tells you to, do you it? Or tell the company it’s bull shot?’ Or something along that line to try and prove that I am in contradiction to myself.
It doesn’t matter, if the company decides the new uniform requires pointy magician hats for magical safety as a precaution against something that might happen, then I guess the employees wear the hat or not. But that does not apply to passengers or customers. The company can even claim that the pointy magical hats are effective, since the magic hat policy, there haven’t been any accidents. So they must work, wear your hat! Lol

So maybe I am a pilot. Does that concern you that a competent pilot with over 15 yrs of no accidents/incidents or disciplinary actions could have such CRAZY ideas about masks???lol
This is from the latest ministerial order, which is law;

“ Face Masks
Marginal note:Non-application

31 Sections 32 to 37 do not apply to any of the following persons:

(a) an infant;
(b) a person who provides a medical certificate certifying that they are unable to wear a face mask for a medical reason;
(c) a person who is unconscious;
(d) a person who is unable to remove their face mask without assistance;
(e) a crew member;
(f) a gate agent.”

It’s pretty clear that the airlines are responsible to uphold the law. The law currently states that you, as a passenger, must wear a face mask on board the aircraft The above are the exemptions. One exemption is if you have a medical certificate that you have to provide to the crew member. Charter of rights or not, you must provide the reason. That’s the law. I think you’ve been watching too much rebel news. 🙄

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

While you are correct that the passenger must present the medical exemption upon request, it is highly unlikely that the doctor will document the specifics of the exemption. In fact, stating the medical reasons would be a violation of the persons right to privacy regarding their health data.

Return to “General Comments”