Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by hotdog1 »

[quote=Biff post_id=1126645 time=1599504794 user_id=3153]
[quote=hotdog1 post_id=1126633 time=1599499267 user_id=22201]
[quote=Rockie post_id=1126631 time=1599497844 user_id=5632]
Are you a pilot Hotdog? Honest question and not a prelude to an insult. Airline?
[/quote]

Not that it’s relevant, but maybe I am.
Why would that matter? Let me guess, you’re going to start down the road of ‘if your company tells you to, do you it? Or tell the company it’s bull shot?’ Or something along that line to try and prove that I am in contradiction to myself.
It doesn’t matter, if the company decides the new uniform requires pointy magician hats for magical safety as a precaution against something that might happen, then I guess the employees wear the hat or not. But that does not apply to passengers or customers. The company can even claim that the pointy magical hats are effective, since the magic hat policy, there haven’t been any accidents. So they must work, wear your hat! Lol

So maybe I am a pilot. Does that concern you that a competent pilot with over 15 yrs of no accidents/incidents or disciplinary actions could have such CRAZY ideas about masks???lol
[/quote]

This is from the latest ministerial order, which is law;

“ Face Masks
Marginal note:Non-application

31 Sections 32 to 37 do not apply to any of the following persons:

(a) an infant;
(b) a person who provides a medical certificate certifying that they are unable to wear a face mask for a medical reason;
(c) a person who is unconscious;
(d) a person who is unable to remove their face mask without assistance;
(e) a crew member;
(f) a gate agent.”

It’s pretty clear that the airlines are responsible to uphold the law. The law currently states that you, as a passenger, must wear a face mask on board the aircraft The above are the exemptions. One exemption is if you have a medical certificate that you have to provide to the crew member. Charter of rights or not, you must provide the reason. That’s the law. I think you’ve been watching too much rebel news. 🙄
[/quote]

Yawn, try and keep up.
Your company is a different entity than the public. I have already stated a company can make you wear a magical pointy hat if they want. The ‘minister of transportation’ can only make laws for transportation.
I know the pro maskers like to only read what they want to and interpret that I’m whatever twisted way suits their narrative.

The company, minister can do whatever they want within their own area. This ‘ministry’ law does not apply to anything other than the specific ministry it is applied too.
This discussion between myself and the few that keep responding is not about whether WestJet or the minister has the authority to mandate masks.

The discussion has drifted far from that.

The most recent discussion has been about mask effectiveness in general, mask mandates in general and not at all about westjest. The discussion has been degraded to pushing personal pro/anti mask mandates.

Your post about the minister and those rules applies specifically to that ministry are true, but not really relevant to the recent discussions.

And good for you to take the high road and continue the attempted belittling with the “you watch too much rebel news..” silliness
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 am
AuxBatOn wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:43 am hotdog,

Do you wear a seatbelt in your car? Do you wear a harness/belt in an aircraft?

Your question is what is known as a false equivalency.
My seatbelt does not protect you, like people claim the mask does if I wear it.
And like I said before, there is no requirement that my mask be hygienic or clean -I could blow my nose in it, wear it and the pro maskers would happy. And in fact would be in more peril from catching anything contagious from my snotty, contaminated mask.

If I wear a seatbelt, it is to protect myself firstly, secondly to avoid a fine from the police and thirdly to fulfill my insurance companies requirements to qualify for my insurance.
Regulating something that is solely to protect yourself is a lot worse, in terms of stepping on freedoms, than regulating something that protects others. Don’t forget that the mask is to prevent droplets coming out of your mouth and nose to reach others. Period. Not to protect your person. The basis is that if everybody within 2m of yourself wears one, everyone enjoys a level of protection higher than if masks were not worn...

Going for the deck at corner
hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm

And like I said before, there is no requirement that my mask be hygienic or clean -I could blow my nose in it, wear it and the pro maskers would happy. And in fact would be in more peril from catching anything contagious from my snotty, contaminated mask.

If I wear a seatbelt, it is to protect myself firstly, secondly to avoid a fine from the police and thirdly to fulfill my insurance companies requirements to qualify for my insurance.
Regulating something that is solely to protect yourself is a lot worse, in terms of stepping on freedoms, than regulating something that protects others. Don’t forget that the mask is to prevent droplets coming out of your mouth and nose to reach others. Period. Not to protect your person. The basis is that if everybody within 2m of yourself wears one, everyone enjoys a level of protection higher than if masks were not worn...
And like I said before, it’s a silly mandate or law or however you want to phrase it.
I will repeat again-if I blow my nose with my mask, then proceed to wear my contaminated, dirty mask, does that qualify to fulfil the mandate? Yes it does, there is no requirement that the mask be sanitary etc.
So really all the mask does is make people feel better.
Remember that in the beginning masks were NOT deemed effective by the very same experts that are now mandating their use. One of their original reasons for not mandating masks was their acknowledgement that most people would not wear them effectively-ex:touching the face covering contaminates it, rendering it useless as the contaminant is now on the outside of the mask and just being blown around, within sitting range of a plane seat

So what does the dirty, contaminated mask really accomplish other than placating they loud, fearful people.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:56 pm

And like I said before, it’s a silly mandate or law or however you want to phrase it.
I will repeat again-if I blow my nose with my mask, then proceed to wear my contaminated, dirty mask, does that qualify to fulfil the mandate? Yes it does, there is no requirement that the mask be sanitary etc.
Remember that in the beginning masks were NOT deemed effective by the very same experts that are now mandating their use. One of their original reasons for not mandating masks was their acknowledgement that most people would not wear them effectively-ex:touching the face covering contaminates it, rendering it useless as the contaminant is now on the outside of the mask and just being blown around, within sitting range of a plane seat

So what does the dirty, contaminated mask really accomplish other than placating they loud, fearful people.
Nothing stops you from wearing your seatbelt around your neck but that would be stupid yet people don’t do that. People don’t blow their nose in their masks before wearing it.

Do you really want to have the law that prescriptive? If you don’t use a clean mask, you are mostly putting yourself at risk. Water droplets are still stopped by the mask. Before you come back with people touching their masks, contaminating themselves, most places require you to sanitize your hands before entering.

Going for the deck at corner
northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

If I made the laws, seatbelts would only be mandatory if your car is travelling more than 80km/h. Below that speed, if you remove your belt or keep it on, who cares. The point is, the cops wouldn't be allowed to bother you until 80km/h +. But currently, you must wear your seat belt even if you travel at 10km/h because somehow if you slam on the brakes, you will go flying though the windshield at that speed. That's how our government thinks anyway, and so do some citizens. What a world we live in. :lol:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Man are you obtuse, DROPLETS, your dirty, soiled mask is a risk if someone touches it, then touches their face. But I’m pretty sure at this point, you’re either extremely dense or fucking with us, I don’t give a rats ass if you are an anti-masker because not one person here said it’s 100% effective, it’s just another measure to help when done in conjunction with other measures.
I truly hope all provinces just mandate them in public spaces, enforceable with fines that increase with every offence, I don’t give a flying @#$! if it infringes on your perceived right to go around infecting others with a potentially deadly virus.
I truly am done with you, I hope you don’t find out the hard way that this “flu” can @#$! with healthy people too, now foxtrot oscar!
P.S. if you wiped your ass with your seatbelt before putting it on properly, it would still prevent you from flying through your windshield, you’d just be covered in shit!

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Man are you obtuse, DROPLETS, your dirty, soiled mask is a risk if someone touches it, then touches their face. But I’m pretty sure at this point, you’re either extremely dense or fucking with us, I don’t give a rats ass if you are an anti-masker because not one person here said it’s 100% effective, it’s just another measure to help when done in conjunction with other measures.
I truly hope all provinces just mandate them in public spaces, enforceable with fines that increase with every offence, I don’t give a flying @#$! if it infringes on your perceived right to go around infecting others with a potentially deadly virus.
I truly am done with you, I hope you don’t find out the hard way that this “flu” can @#$! with healthy people too, now foxtrot oscar!
P.S. if you wiped your ass with your seatbelt before putting it on properly, it would still prevent you from flying through your windshield, you’d just be covered in shit!

Oh resorting the name calling again, good one rockie errrrr sorry wrong person lol

Well unfortunately for you Doug ford said months ago he would NOT mandate masks, so did Legeault in Quebec.

So get off the droplet bandwagon
You just won’t even acknowledge that the experts you agree now flip flopped on mask use themselves.
The virus can spread without droplets, why would you need to wash your hands so often if the spread was dependant on droplets??? That doesn’t make sense does it.
I’m not going to repeat again how covid is not a death sentence. It just isn’t. The numbers show it. No matter how many times the media just reports the number of cases.

Are you truly done? Someone else just like you said that too and then kept up for days afterward lol
Good luck to you

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

My question for those who are pro mask, will you consider this the new normal and wear a mask from now on the rest of your life in public spaces? What would change your mind about the masks. I don’t believe covid will ever be eradicated, it will mutate the same way the seasonal flu does and maybe vaccines will have to keep up with it. At least this is what I heard from some experts, covid likely will never go away.

So masks forever, right guys? We will see you in 2030 still masking it up and have a social circle of only 10 people... but really we know in about a years time you will rationalize why it’s ok to not use a mask anymore... maybe you need to hear 50 cases per day vs 100, maybe a vaccine that’s 70 percent effective... but remember you said masks aren’t perfect but they reduce the risks! So let’s just hope you stay committed to that life long risk reduction.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

montado wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 pm My question for those who are pro mask, will you consider this the new normal and wear a mask from now on the rest of your life in public spaces? What would change your mind about the masks. I don’t believe covid will ever be eradicated, it will mutate the same way the seasonal flu does and maybe vaccines will have to keep up with it. At least this is what I heard from some experts, covid likely will never go away.

So masks forever, right guys? We will see you in 2030 still masking it up and have a social circle of only 10 people... but really we know in about a years time you will rationalize why it’s ok to not use a mask anymore... maybe you need to hear 50 cases per day vs 100, maybe a vaccine that’s 70 percent effective... but remember you said masks aren’t perfect but they reduce the risks! So let’s just hope you stay committed to that life long risk reduction.
Well, for starters if it’s still a pandemic and it’s still recommended as a mitigating tool, then yes I will wear a mask. How hard is it to be considerate of others around you, the majority feel this way, so if you’re the minority perhaps the problem is you

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

“Idiot” in this context is an observation, not an insult. It’s an abbreviated way to say “unable to understand very simple concepts”.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:12 pm
montado wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 pm My question for those who are pro mask, will you consider this the new normal and wear a mask from now on the rest of your life in public spaces? What would change your mind about the masks. I don’t believe covid will ever be eradicated, it will mutate the same way the seasonal flu does and maybe vaccines will have to keep up with it. At least this is what I heard from some experts, covid likely will never go away.

Well, for starters if it’s still a pandemic and it’s still recommended as a mitigating tool, then yes I will wear a mask. How hard is it to be considerate of others around you, the majority feel this way, so if you’re the minority perhaps the problem is you
I find it interesting when people say “the majority feel this way...”
So if the majority doesn’t mind the govt making new rules or recommendations in the name of your safety, why have less than 4% of the population downloaded the tracing app. Your govt has said it is necessary in order to trace and isolate cases to keep the numbers low. So the majority supports masks and mitigating measures, why are those people not supporting the tracing app to mitigate transmission??

Strange how the ‘majority’ the media is talking about doesn’t match the real world numbers

And if you reply with “most people wear masks..” which means they support it -I will reply with “Maybe most people wear a mask just to avoid being accosted in public by the violent pro maskers, or just don’t want the hassle of being asked at the store to wear a mask. Just because someone would rather avoid confrontation doesn’t mean they ‘want’ to wear the mask”

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:13 pm “Idiot” in this context is an observation, not an insult. It’s an abbreviated way to say “unable to understand very simple concepts”.
Lol good one
That’s like in “talladega nights” movie
When Ricky Bobby says something insulting followed by “what? I said with all due respect. That means I can say what I want” lol

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

No, I don’t mean it with all due respect. Rex Tillerson didn’t say “with all due respect” when he said to the US JCS and James Mattis that Trump is a “f*****g moron”, he was simply stating a fact that everyone present could plainly see was true.

Same situation here.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:55 pm No, I don’t mean it with all due respect. Rex Tillerson didn’t say “with all due respect” when he said to the US JCS and James Mattis that Trump is a “f*****g moron”, he was simply stating a fact that everyone present could plainly see was true.

Same situation here.
Well that’s only a “fact” if you hate Donald trump
I have seen many people state otherwise, that is a fact.

For most people they understand that a comment like that is a personal judgement of character and that personal feelings are not ‘facts’ in the common use of the term ‘fact’
Example-having two apples is more than having one apple -that is an accepted fact the number 2 is greater than 1
Saying that a red apple is tastier than a green apple is not a fact, it is an opinion

Calling Donald trump names is an opinion.

How do you feel that your liberal friends down south have been outsmarted by a “fucking moron” for over 4 years now(from the time he declared to run for president to now)

You’d have to be even dumber than a fucking moron to have lost every political battle for 4 years now , he sure beat those geniuses at the impeachment trial! Lol
Sorry to trigger you lol

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

northernpilot2 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 pm If I made the laws, seatbelts would only be mandatory if your car is travelling more than 80km/h. Below that speed, if you remove your belt or keep it on, who cares. The point is, the cops wouldn't be allowed to bother you until 80km/h +. But currently, you must wear your seat belt even if you travel at 10km/h because somehow if you slam on the brakes, you will go flying though the windshield at that speed. That's how our government thinks anyway, and so do some citizens. What a world we live in. :lol:
If you did that, then just like Trump, you’d be responsible for a whole bunch of unnecessary injuries and deaths. People have died in collisions at a lot less than 80 kph.

I get it, you’re a hard ass and nothing is going to change your mind. Just do me a favour, never ever fly an airplane with one of my loved ones as a passenger. You cannot be trusted to make rational decisions on behalf of others.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Daily new cases globally are nearly 300k, the pandemic was declared back in March and April when cases were well below 100k so surely you would wait until daily cases are below 100k again before you would even consider going out with no mask? Do you even think it’s possible that the world will ever see less than 100lk cases in a day going forward? I don’t. So I just wonder what metrics you use to feed the fear... if the experts came out tomorrow and said it’s not as bad as we thought, pandemic is over, you would then instantly not use a mask anymore? Is it as simple as just doing as you are told?

I just think it’s hilarious because one of these days you will likely change your mind about masks, and I just want to know what it is that will make you change your mind. How many weddings will you skip, how many thanksgivings will you miss?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

I think it's pretty simple. In areas where the mask is mandatory, people will wear the mask. If they don't there will be consequences. In areas where it is NOT required, why do pro-maskers and/or people like you feel the need to force the "be considerate of others" phrase on those who don't wear one? People who aren't wearing masks aren't encroaching on mask wearing people's 'personal space'. They are just going about their business like the rest of the people. Do you know how many mask wearing people I see DAILY who are either wearing it incorrectly or are wearing one pair of gloves and touching anything and everything? Do you know how many of them are unknowingly irresponsible for their actions? They worry me more than people not wearing a mask. If wearing a mask was SO detrimental to PREVENTING infection, do you not think it would be federal/provincial/municipal law to wear one in ANY public space? It is NOT.

So stop getting so hyped up. There will be people who CHOOSE to wear a mask. There will be people who DON'T. Not one group or the other needs to be patronized or crucified for wearing one or not. God you're like hardcore vegans pushing your ideologies on everyone. This pandemic has made you people nutty.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

It's all Trump's fault. At least that's what my news feed tells me

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

The other day I was alone in an elevator in a place where masks were not mandatory. I was of course wearing a mask. The elevator stopped at a floor where a half dozen young people (not wearing masks) waited to get on. As they weren’t wearing masks they said no problem, they’d catch the next elevator.

They weren’t concerned about catching the virus from me or their friends, but were considerate enough to not unnecessarily expose me to the risk of catching it from them. I very much appreciated them not being assholes about it.

There’s a lesson in there for some people here.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

hotdog1 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 pm How do you feel that your liberal friends down south have been outsmarted by a “fucking moron” for over 4 years now(from the time he declared to run for president to now)
It wasn’t liberals he outsmarted, it was the 60+ million who voted for him (and you apparently) and who still support him to this day despite all the damage and death he’s caused. Those people will believe the most ridiculous things time after time, even after it kills them.

Return to “General Comments”