Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by ayseven »

You would think so, but the 200 + km/hr Porsches, slowing and going literally 6 inches off your rear bumper, and right lane clogged with trucks kind of kills the fun of it for me.
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

montado wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 pm The debate over masks is hilarious. My favorite part is everyone picks and chooses when to follow the rules. Many people drive well over the speed limit doing 20 plus over the speed limit. Speeding kills, and puts the driver and others at risk. I know people who are supposed to have a social circle of 10 by the rules in phase 3 in Ontario, yet they congregate with many in plain sight with 20 plus individuals without distance and without masks. Then you ask these same people about back to school and they are in complete fear of it and say it's not safe... You ask them why they wear a mask when they go to the store and they say "it's the law and I follow the law"... Yeah ummm ok I have seen you social circle of over 20 close contacts, and I have seen you rip it into your driveway like a soccer mom with no regards for your vans suspension slamming the curb, I can just about guarantee you drive 20 over the limit everywhere because speed limit to you means follow the person in front of you bumper to bumper. How on earth would you know how fast to drive without vehicles to follow. I could go on all day about mask policy and how stupid some of it is.

The best defence for it is that it limits risk, so even when the policy obviously has flaws like you can take it off to eat, well the idea is we limit risk not eliminate it. But this is why it's all shades of grey. If I eat a sloth speed can I leave my mask off for a whole flight while I chew my carrots like a rabbit for 3 hours?

So I'm against enforcement of masks, I'm against it being the law. Mostly because people are so completely stupid and pick and choose what laws to follow. I think recommending a mask is great. Even offering free masks to everyone as its kind of hard to say no to a mask when it's right there with a little encouragement. Of course 5 percent will still defer, and that's fine. I honestly think things would be better off making it optional. You might even get more compliance that way.
It sounds like your neighbour is an asshole. We are all doing our part and doing very well at it. Wear a mask and wash your damn hands.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

ayseven wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:21 am You would think so, but the 200 + km/hr Porsches, slowing and going literally 6 inches off your rear bumper, and right lane clogged with trucks kind of kills the fun of it for me.
Doing my best here not to drift the thread.

As long as the light ahead is not red, and the road is clear, just floor it. Otherwise its pointless, unless your planning to run the red light or crash head on with the vehicle ahead of you. :lol:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:49 pmYou cant tell anyone what they should do in their own space.
This is true.

But a Westjet flight isn't "your own space". Nor is the supermarket. Nor public transit. They are private spaces owned by the companies that run them. They *do* have the right to set rules for the usage of their space. And you have the right to not use their space if you don't wish to follow those rules.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 am
northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:49 pmYou cant tell anyone what they should do in their own space.
This is true.

But a Westjet flight isn't "your own space". Nor is the supermarket. Nor public transit. They are private spaces owned by the companies that run them. They *do* have the right to set rules for the usage of their space. And you have the right to not use their space if you don't wish to follow those rules.
Up to a point. Healthcare policies and especially pandemic responses should be addressed by the government based on the location of the business, not by individual companies. That way you avoid situations where grocery store A requires a mask and grocery store B does not. Same with hotels. I'm sure it would take away quite a bit of frustration from the people that don't like to wear masks. If it's the law, it's the law. But if a company dumps it on you as a company policy without prior notice, then that would piss me off too.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 am
This is true.

Up to a point. Healthcare policies and especially pandemic responses should be addressed by the government based on the location of the business, not by individual companies. That way you avoid situations where grocery store A requires a mask and grocery store B does not. Same with hotels. I'm sure it would take away quite a bit of frustration from the people that don't like to wear masks. If it's the law, it's the law. But if a company dumps it on you as a company policy without prior notice, then that would piss me off too.
Every company that I’ve seen or heard make the mask policy, has done so with notice to the public. It’s usually announced on Thursday or Friday that it will be in effect on Monday, which bugs me in general, if they are needed why delay the mandate, just implement it now with a grace period where you won’t be denied access until that time.
Anyhow 8 out of 10 Manitobans support a public place masks mandate with 6 strongly in favour, so it sounds like the idiots who don’t get the science are the minority.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 am Anyhow 8 out of 10 Manitobans support a public place masks mandate with 6 strongly in favour, so it sounds like the idiots who don’t get the science are the minority.
Oh no. Someone has a different opinion than me. He must be an idiot. He must not get "The Science". :roll:

I asked around a bit, for Manitoba specifically, since your username seems to imply you have at least an interest in that area.

What scientific argument is there for Walmart in Thompson to make masks mandatory, while Safeway does not?
What scentific argument is there for Best Western in Thompson to mandate masks while all the other hotels do not require it?

The nearest covid case was *literally* over 200 miles away. Do the survey there, and see how many people want a mandatory mask policy.

Leave it to the government to implement a mask policy. We don't need kneejerk reactions of franchise headquarters.

Last edited by digits_ on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am Oh no. Someone has a different opinion than me. He must be an idiot. He must not get "The Sicence".
The irony is almost painful.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rockie wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:02 am
digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am Oh no. Someone has a different opinion than me. He must be an idiot. He must not get "The Sicence".
The irony is almost painful.
Typo corrected :D

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

This is true.

Will I comply with company policy? yes.
Do I agree with it? No.
Will I speak out against it? Yes.
Will it change things? I hope so
digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am

Leave it to the government to implement a mask policy. We don't need kneejerk reactions of franchise headquarters.
The government needs to go. They are a cancer. We need a new system.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

digits_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am
mbav8r wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 am Anyhow 8 out of 10 Manitobans support a public place masks mandate with 6 strongly in favour, so it sounds like the idiots who don’t get the science are the minority.
Oh no. Someone has a different opinion than me. He must be an idiot. He must not get "The Science". :roll:

I asked around a bit, for Manitoba specifically, since your username seems to imply you have at least an interest in that area.

What scientific argument is there for Walmart in Thompson to make masks mandatory, while Safeway does not?
What scentific argument is there for Best Western in Thompson to mandate masks while all the other hotels do not require it?

The nearest covid case was *literally* over 200 miles away. Do the survey there, and see how many people want a mandatory mask policy.

Well considering Manitoba had zero new cases for 7 weeks, with that being reported widely followed by a complete or near complete relaxation of the measures by people, we are now a hotspot. So the science to me says perhaps we should follow the recommendations or even mandate them until the pandemic is over, not until we the people feel it’s over.
I wear a mask , not because I enjoy it, not because I find them comfortable or even comforting but because most of the data says it helps reduce the chance of spreading it to others around me, I’m being considerate of my fellow humans and wish I could get the same from them.
As for you example up north, some get it, some don’t, wouldn’t you agree?
FYI, did your googling turn up anything about provincial travel restrictions to those areas, I’ll save you the trouble, there are restrictions in place.
Every single person should consider themselves infected when out and about, then act accordingly. I also consider myself infected when I’m out and act accordingly, quarantine excepted.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I'm kind of a latecomer to this discussion, so bear with me.

So there's a respiratory disease making the rounds, which is pretty reliably reported to be quite serious, and which is transmitted mostly through contact with droplets that emerge from an infected person's mouth and nose.

It's been satisfactorily demonstrated that the disease can be transmitted by people who aren't suffering from symptoms and have no real way to be sure they haven't come into contact with latent droplets on surfaces in the preceding two weeks.

It's pretty certain that the average layperson isn't medically qualified to differentiate between the symptoms of say, an ordinary cold or less serious form of the flu and the early symptoms of the CV-19 virus.

Wearing a mask in public that intercepts and captures a large number of droplets that emerge from your mouth and nose seems to me to make a lot of sense, unless you live in an isolated community that has had zero active cases for several weeks. If you're travelling outside such a community, you could either just wear a mask anyway or risk having to explain why you're special and don't need to wear one.

So generally the average Canadian can't be one hundred percent sure there aren't infected droplets coming out of their nose and mouth, but the wearing of a garment that captures a large percentage of these droplets is being hotly contested?

It would seem to me that there are a few reasons to object to masks:

1) You are from, and are presently in, a community that has zero active cases and has done for several weeks, AND screens and enforces a quarantine process on any new arrivals

2) You don't believe the CV-19 virus is as prevalent, and/or contagious, and/or capable of causing serious illness as is being reported -in your learned opinion

3) You don't give a shit

4) You have a psychological problem with the masks themselves

5) You feel like you look silly in a mask and don't like being told what to do

Are there any more reasons? Personally I feel that whether they admit it or not, #5 is probably the real reason for most people.

We're mostly all pilots here - I find it funny that people who argue about the prophylactic value of a face covering -especially the ones who are worried about looking silly and don't like being told what to do- are the same who are uncomplaining and proud to stamp about the public areas of airports, sit in the cockpits of their planes, and drive to the grocery store after work, in the daytime, wearing a reflective orange road-worker vest over their uniforms.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:16 am I'm kind of a latecomer to this discussion, so bear with me.

So there's a respiratory disease making the rounds, which is pretty reliably reported to be quite serious, and which is transmitted mostly through contact with droplets that emerge from an infected person's mouth and nose.

It's been satisfactorily demonstrated that the disease can be transmitted by people who aren't suffering from symptoms and have no real way to be sure they haven't come into contact with latent droplets on surfaces in the preceding two weeks.

It's pretty certain that the average layperson isn't medically qualified to differentiate between the symptoms of say, an ordinary cold or less serious form of the flu and the early symptoms of the CV-19 virus.

Wearing a mask in public that intercepts and captures a large number of droplets that emerge from your mouth and nose seems to me to make a lot of sense, unless you live in an isolated community that has had zero active cases for several weeks. If you're travelling outside such a community, you could either just wear a mask anyway or risk having to explain why you're special and don't need to wear one.

So generally the average Canadian can't be one hundred percent sure there aren't infected droplets coming out of their nose and mouth, but the wearing of a garment that captures a large percentage of these droplets is being hotly contested?

1) You are from, and are presently in, a community that has zero active cases and has done for several weeks, AND screens and enforces a quarantine process on any new arrivals

2) You don't believe the CV-19 virus is as prevalent, and/or contagious, and/or capable of causing serious illness as is being reported -in your learned opinion

3) You don't give a shit

Are there any more reasons? Personally I feel that whether they admit it or not, #5 is probably the real reason for most people.

We're mostly all pilots here - I find it funny that people who argue about the prophylactic value of a face covering -especially the ones who are worried about looking silly and don't like being told what to do- are the same who are uncomplaining and proud to stamp about the public areas of airports, sit in the cockpits of their planes, and drive to the grocery store after work, in the daytime, wearing a reflective orange road-worker vest over their uniforms.
6) You're just an a**hole

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Meatservo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:16 am I'm kind of a latecomer to this discussion, so bear with me.

3) You don't give a shit

7) Your able to think for yourself, you don't require to hold the government's hand when you need to cross the street.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

northernpilot2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am 7) Your able to think for yourself, ...
....*You're :roll:

You're right! I guess we'll never solve the mystery to how so many people thinking for themselves were able to nevertheless transmit COVID-19 to so many other people who were also thinking for themselves. It will stand as one of history's greatest mysteries.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

northernpilot2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am 7) Your able to think for yourself
Clearly not.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

northernpilot2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am

3) You don't give a shit

7) Your able to think for yourself, you don't require to hold the government's hand when you need to cross the street.
Seems to me you fall into either 3) or 6), you’ve clearly missed the part where you have the right to not wear one, just not in certain places. If you don’t want to wear a mask, DON’T, just don’t come within 6’ of me, remember earlier about my lack of patience for inconsiderate assholes.
Also, really glad you mentioned crossing the street with the government holding your hand. It appears to me that they in fact do with you know, laws and stuff!
“Drivers must stop and yield the right-of-way to all pedestrians about to cross at marked and unmarked crosswalks.
It is illegal to pass traffic ahead of you that is slowing down or stopped for pedestrians using crosswalks.
Do not park or stop within three metres of a crosswalk.
Be careful to look for pedestrians, especially when turning or about to proceed across a sidewalk.”

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

For myself the issue with the masks is its all about prevention and reduction of risk. For example the policies are geared so that you can remove the mask to eat, or you can remove your mask in the gym to work out.

My problem is the government has set the rules for what risk is okay and what risks are not. Maybe my values are not completely inline with those values. So the government has elected to @#$! our industry, yet gyms are open and covid is spreading within the gyms because you remove your mask as per the policy. So the whole mask rules makes winners and losers because the government decides where to give some flexibility for risk and also decides who gets shut down completely.

For that reason my preference is to have my own say in how I want to use my mask. I don't think half of the policies around masks and the lockdown even make sense. In my city the lifeguards were paid to clean the outdoor splash pad every hour this summer. It was completely useless and stupid the shit that was going on, so people lose faith in the policies.

So I'm not anti masker, I'm just trying to rationalize all these policies and it's hard to keep up and while some make lots of sense to me many make me scratch my head.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

montado wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:37 pm you can remove your mask in the gym to work out.
Really? I don't go to gyms so I wouldn't know. In Ontario, I was under the impression if it was an open business you needed a mask on as a customer.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

montado wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:37 pmMy problem is the government has set the rules for what risk is okay and what risks are not. Maybe my values are not completely inline with those values. So the government has elected to @#$! our industry, yet gyms are open and covid is spreading within the gyms because you remove your mask as per the policy. So the whole mask rules makes winners and losers because the government decides where to give some flexibility for risk and also decides who gets shut down completely.
Maybe keep in mind that these policies are being made by people whose job it is, likely 24/7 these days, to evaluate these risks in detail and rank them. A whole network of scientists, epidemiologists, statisticians, etc. who have access to the latest scientific knowledge as it's coming in.

Do you not think that they have a better handle on the situation than you, an unemployed pilot who likely has zero training in any of those fields, isn't reading the latest medical research, and simply doesn't like wearing masks?

Return to “General Comments”