IFR flight test tablet requirments?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

socsbrian
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR flight test tablet requirments?

Post by socsbrian »

When I first started my IFR training last year, I remember I was told that an external battery (power bank) and paper copy of the approach plates and charts are required on board the aircraft if I plan to use my iPad for the flight test.

Now my flight test is fast approaching, I briefly read over the flight test guide, and couldn't find such information.
Is it not a requirement anymore because Nav Canada is getting rid of the printed copies?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IFR flight test tablet requirments?

Post by photofly »

I don’t believe it was ever a requirement, although some examiners might have their own opinions.
I was told
In general always ask for source documents or regulations any time you’re told something is required or forbidden.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

This may also be a case of Instructor's being familiar with Examiner's practices. What if during the flight test the Examiner say's "You've just had an iPad failure"? In scenario one you respond, "I declare an emergency and request assistance", in scenario two you respond, "I notify ATC of the failure and request time to switch to paper backup", then get my paper out and plug my iPad in to see if that corrects the problem should time and situation allow.
The failure may be different in a multi-crew, multi iPad environment where it's even more unlikely two such failures would occur at the same time.
This may be more of a lesson in safety than a statement of flight test requirements. It's been a few years since I looked at the flight test guide, but given Transport's history of long periods without updating the paperwork - the guide may have been in existence since before the iPad existed.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There’s an established protocol for ATC to dictate enough of the contents of the approach plate over the air to a pilot not familiar with the data. It’s not an emergency scenario.
DF7D4575-6349-4554-9FBD-26BADCCBABAD.jpeg
DF7D4575-6349-4554-9FBD-26BADCCBABAD.jpeg (399.14 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:07 am There’s an established protocol for ATC to dictate enough of the contents of the approach plate over the air to a pilot not familiar with the data. It’s not an emergency scenario.

DF7D4575-6349-4554-9FBD-26BADCCBABAD.jpeg
I have had to give this info out only once in my career. I believe the aircraft was a diversion for a medical emergency. It isn't a big deal (the lack of plates) and I certainly wouldn't treat it as an emergency in and of itself.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I haven’t flown for a few years but I’ve always printed a screenshot of intended & alternate approach plates just in case.

Daryl

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

On my ifr ride years ago, i used an iPad for my test (when foreflight was still pretty new). examiner didn't care at all.

my last emergency was "iPad fire" on the ground. throw it out the window and call tower for the fire department haha.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

EasyTarget wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:38 am What if during the flight test the Examiner say's "You've just had an iPad failure"?
"That's why I briefed the approach. IB course is XXX, frequency is XXX, minimums are XXX. Missed approach is XXX." Emergency over. :smt040

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Having just had my flight test a month ago. I just had Foreflight on my iPad and my iPhone. Examiner didn't say anything about a battery backup. Just make sure you have paper plates onboard.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Why would you need paper plates as well as an iPad?
Your advice is no doubt well intentioned, but from what regulatory text do you draw this requirement?

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

I was told this directly from a Transport Canada inspector at a safety seminar (Sorry, I don't have a reference handy right now). If you are relying on electronic charts you must have a backup on board. The backup can be but does not have to be paper, it can be another electronic copy as long as it on an independent device. So iPad + iPhone running the same software both with current charts, you are good.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Transport canada inspectors are as apt to make up rules as anyone.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:02 pm Transport canada inspectors are as apt to make up rules as anyone.
True, I had a quick look for a reference but didn't find anything. I'm going to contact her and ask for one.

turbo-prop
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by turbo-prop »

You have always needed a back up when using an EFB. Whether it is paper or a second ipad/iphone/samsung....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TC documentation on EFB's:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... no-700-020
This is from a commercial operator viewpoint and doesn't appear relevant to private operations.

Instrument rating Flight Test Guide (TP9939E):
Tablet computers / electronic flight bags (EFB) with aviation applications may be utilized in lieu of paper charts. EFBs provide additional situational awareness, but do not replace the primary navigational equipment installed in the aircraft or flight simulation training device. The EFB in the airplane must be an approved installation or be mounted and secured so as to avoid dislodging during the flight test and impacting flight controls;
After careful reading, there is nothing to suggest that either an electronic or paper backup is required. For anyone who feels there is a regulatory requirement for either, I would request them to supply a documentary source for that, which would help everyone (including me.)

For those who aren't aware, paper plates will no longer be available from November 5 this year and data will only be supplied by NavCanada electronically.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

photofly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:58 am After careful reading, there is nothing to suggest that either an electronic or paper backup is required. For anyone who feels there is a regulatory requirement for either, I would request them to supply a documentary source for that, which would help everyone (including me.)
The examiner has the right to fail any equipment including the EFBs. In my IFR flight test, my examiner failed my Ipad, but I had a second one in my flight bag, other people in the same scenario had used their phones to brief the approach.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DCL415 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 am The examiner has the right to fail any equipment including the EFBs.
Can you provide a regulatory source for this quite extraordinary assertion? “Installed equipment”, yes, but an EFB is not that.

Is the examiner permitted to confiscate your paper plates too?

I note the Pilot Examiner Manual does say that backup charts “should” be available in case of EFB malfunction. (That will presumably have to change in November.) There is nothing that suggests an examiner should simulate this failed as part of the flight test though.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

I can't provide any regulation that says so, I am just telling what happened to me in my flight test.

The examiner just said, your Ipad just failed, what are you going to do now? So I reached in my flight bag and pulled a second Ipad.

Who am I to argue with an examiner of the validity of his/her actions?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I would suggest "failing" an i-pad on a ride could be considered a legitimate action by an examiner. Ideally the student should have a back up on his/her phone or a second tablet. If they don't then an acceptable response would be to get the required information from ATC. The Flight Test Guide requires that the candidate "fly the approach depicted on the approach chart". If they don't have access to a plate and don't ask ATC to help then they could not fly the approach and thus have not met one of the EX 8 requirements.

Too me this would be a good question to ask on the ground portion as part of Ex 1.B.d "locate and apply information essential to the flight". Doing it during the flight and then using this exercise as a basis for failing the flight test could be problematical as one could argue it exceeded the Flight Test Guide requirements, although I personally think the flight test result would not be overturned at a TATC hearing.

I personally have had an i-pad shut down due to overheating in the airplane and once ran out of battery before the end of the flight. Around 20 years ago I was doing a PPC ride in a light twin on a very turbulent day and when I was fumbling with the book of approach plates, a big bump caused me to flip it down beside the seat where it was effectively out of reach without opening the door. The examiner did not have any plates so I fessed up to ATC they gave me the required info to do the approach which was the last one required and I passed the ride with the check pilot saying he was happy that I did not get flustered and effectively dealt with the problem

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Ipads seem to be pretty bad at handling sunlight. My newish ipad pro always shuts down when I'm simply reading something and it's sunny and around 20C. It's never happened in the cockpit yet, but I usually keep it on my lap or in the door map pocket out of the sun. Might be due to the cover.

Return to “General Comments”