Nav Canada FSS closures, layoffs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Nav Canada FSS closures, layoffs

Post by Woxof38 »

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... tions.html

To adapt to the new realities of air traffic levels, the company is also taking steps to safely streamline operations and will be launching level of service reviews for certain aerodromes.
the company has reduced more than 720 jobs or 14 per cent of the workforce. NAV CANADA will continue to monitor air traffic activity across the country and adapt its operations and workforce accordingly as necessary.
The company will also close its flight information centres in Winnipeg and Halifax.
Aeronautical studies will be launched to assess levels of service in Saint-Jean QC, Castlegar BC, Churchill MB, High Level AB, Peace River AB, Brandon MB, Fort Nelson BC, Fort St John BC, Inuvik NWT, Lloydminster AB, Norman Wells NWT, Port Hardy BC, Prince Albert SK, Red Deer AB, Sept-Îles QC, Dawson Creek BC, Fort McMurray AB, Flin Flon MB, The Pas MB, Buffalo Narrows SK, Kuujjuarapik QC, Blanc Sablon QC, Natashquan QC, and Sydney NS. The terms of reference for these studies will be posted on navcanada.ca in the coming weeks.

I heard 5 FSS are slated for closure YPE YYQ YOJ YCG YLL and 10 FSS reducing hours, no midnights YBR YPA YXJ YEV YVQ YUY YZV YYE YZT YQF
Not sure if towers affected
200 managers layed off
All training has stopped
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Nav Canada FSS closures, layoffs

Post by kevenv »

Woxof38 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:08 am 200 managers layed off
All training has stopped
Not quite true. From the CEO's message "200 permanent positions in management and the represented ranks were eliminated across many of our departments"

Training was stopped most places. It was done on a specialty basis, tactically as it were. OJT training where the unit was short, continues.

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Woxof38 »

I've retired from Nav Canada so getting information second hand. Stand corrected.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Woxof38 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 am I've retired from Nav Canada ....

Roooog? :)

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

kevenv wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:28 am
Woxof38 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:08 am 200 managers layed off
All training has stopped
Not quite true. From the CEO's message "200 permanent positions in management and the represented ranks were eliminated across many of our departments"

Training was stopped most places. It was done on a specialty basis, tactically as it were. OJT training where the unit was short, continues.
Sorry Kevenv, that’s not entirely true, I know one specialty in particular which is severely short staffed and had all but one trainee laid off. Can’t speak of the rest of the country but can speak of this place.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

There is no broad rule as to what happened. Case by case. Useless to compare as so many places he different outcomes.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

It's difficult because NavCan has a nationwide seniority list. If they just lopped off the bottom 14% of the list, that would leave a lot of openings where senior people would have to be shuffled into the roles to backfill. In many cases that would require a few months of retraining. So the reduction was likely a tactical workforce reduction that minimizes the fallout across the organization.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:50 am It's difficult because NavCan has a nationwide seniority list. If they just lopped off the bottom 14% of the list, that would leave a lot of openings where senior people would have to be shuffled into the roles to backfill. In many cases that would require a few months of retraining. So the reduction was likely a tactical workforce reduction that minimizes the fallout across the organization.
Not if the union caves and allows layoffs per unit. A lot of rumours.

wapitibaby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wapitibaby »

Caving in defeats the whole purpose of a union... Sadly they still have a lot to cut on before they reach operational controllers...

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

wapitibaby wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:42 pm Caving in defeats the whole purpose of a union... Sadly they still have a lot to cut on before they reach operational controllers...
I wouldn’t be surprised. CATCA isn’t what it used to be.

Return to “General Comments”