703 Piston Twin T/O Perf requirements

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FLS Beam
Rank 0
Rank 0

703 Piston Twin T/O Perf requirements

Post by FLS Beam »

Hello All,

Does anyone know offhand about, or if, performance requirements are mandated by CARS for piston twins (eg. Navajo)? I.E. ASD, AGD, obstacle clearance. Wx minima is straight forward, but I have not located any perf requirements beyond W & B.

Thx.
---------- ADS -----------

planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 703 Piston Twin T/O Perf requirements

Post by planebored »

Lol..

How many lights left when you rotate?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

No.

I don’t believe it’s a requirement until you’re above 5700 kg and it’s mandated by the AFM and the certification requirements, not the CARs specifically. So all the way up to a King Air 200 or so there are no legal requirements for balanced field or net takeoff flight path.. but above that for a King Air 350 or 1900 you need that with WAT data.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
FLS Beam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FLS Beam »

As I surmised, and thanks for your words IFFP.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If, for some stupid reason you were to operate a Ho under 704, then you would have to show balanced field calculations, not net takeoff flight path...I think, maybe. ok i have no idea.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

there is no requirement to do the performance calculations required of 704/705 ME aircraft.
That said, you do have an obligation to operate the aircraft within its limitations - if the manual says you need 2000' to get airborne, and you depart from 1500', you're going to be fine, right up until you're not.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

703 needs to meet "all-engines-operating-take-off-distance". No engine out performance necessary. It's perfectly legal to rotate, grab for the gear handle, experience an engine failure and plow into the trees at the end of the runway. 704 and 705 require the aircraft be able to climb over the trees after the engine failure.

For 703, there is also this:

Enroute Limitations
703.32 No person shall operate a multi-engined aircraft with passengers on board in IFR flight or in night VFR flight if the weight of the aircraft is greater than the weight that will allow the aircraft to maintain, with any engine inoperative, the MOCA of the route to be flown.

Return to “General Comments”