Westjet slashes Service to Maritimes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Westjet slashes Service to Maritimes

Post by Old fella »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:19 pm https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 7731c3da74

Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method” of the coronavirus.

He also claimed that the only thing lockdowns achieved was poverty.

You can not decide on one hand to discourage travel within Canada, and then expect airlines to eat the cost of that decision.

There needs to be some middle ground found. At the moment everyone is saying. You pay. No you pay. No you pay.

Attack the cause not the messenger. The causation is the domestic quarantine. That is the route cause of the problem. Out west people are travelling. Not a lot but enough to keep basic air travel operating.

Again. According to the WHO. The only thing lockdown achieves is poverty.

Quit frankly I am against public money going to cover a problem caused by political decisions.

Fix the problem instead.
As a Maritimer, and currently living here I 100% agree with what you said. WJ unloaded 80% of their capacity and what will be interesting to see moving forward how much of that capacity will return. I would argue some may but certainly not all by a long shot, much of it is permanently gone in my view. The Atlantic Premiers will howl as they always do and will, but WJ isn’t going to listen if there isn’t profit to be had, especially with the new owners ONEX.

Another issue is airport structure, what will happen to locations like YSJ, YFC, YYG, YQM and YQY. There will be severe reductions at those sites no doubt, gotta happen. Us Maritime lot are in for a f—-ing rude awakening as it comes to air service. Just saying.
---------- ADS -----------

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Off topic slightly but I totally agree with that Doctor. Here in Canada we are now blaming bars for the widespread increase among other locations.
I have family in Ireland and the bars never opened up since the start of this pandemic.Their lockdown has been one of the strictest in Europe and yet the numbers are still increasing daily. I believe they are facing another full lockdown tomorrow for 6 weeks. So we have a lockdown and see if numbers decrease, open things up, numbers increase again and then followed by further lockdowns. Where does this end?
Now the Atlantic regions have been pretty much closed to outsiders and that's their choice and who can blame Airlines for pulling out, its all about profit at the end of the day.
Now its becoming apparent that Air travel is low risk in relation to COVID spreading but we have most of the fleets grounded but this is probably more about protecting borders and not encouraging travel.We are now 8 months into this pandemic and do not appear to be any further in relation to knee jerk reactions when number increase.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Its all about profit , eh? We certainly like to eat our own, don’t we.

There was almost no one travelling! Why would any airline continue to operate with only 5-10 people going back and forth.
Where there is no demand, there is no need for a service.
Yep, the premiers , mayors, politicos would love 150 seat aircraft moving a half dozen people.

But its fun to look at a big bad airline that is concerned only with their profit.

More crew layoffs. More staff layoffs.
The end of a career for more of those not still in denial.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013 Regarding "
Another issue is airport structure, what will happen to locations like YSJ, YFC, YYG, YQM and YQY. There will be severe reductions at those sites no doubt, gotta happen. Us Maritime lot are in for a f—-ing rude awakening as it comes to air service."
All across Canada airports have found an easy fix *****Increase the AIF*****

Return to “General Comments”