The clubhouse.....

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: The clubhouse.....

Post by digits_ »

Who says we wouldn't get along?

I'm wondering what would happen in a real life clubhouse, when after the initial "hi", the new member would immediately complain about the language being used? I don't think it is that farfetched that the other members would want to address that, which is sort of what happened here as well...
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Digits, IMO, you don't get to say that, considering in the 'other' thread you posted this: "Can we have a male-only forum as well?" four posts in.. (and kicked off a massive, unnecessary, sihtstorm in doing so.)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

North Shore wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am Digits, IMO, you don't get to say that, considering in the 'other' thread you posted this: "Can we have a male-only forum as well?" four posts in.. (and kicked off a massive, unnecessary, sihtstorm in doing so.)
That was not directed at the OP. If equality is desired, I think it is a reasonable question. Note that nobody answered my question by the way. I doubt it was my question that kicked off the the discussion, I have a feeling it was more the OP's reply to my question which triggered some people.

The last post of the OP in that thread was also quite an eye opener. I can't quote it anymore of course, since the thread has been deleted or moved.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

digits_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 am
North Shore wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am Digits, IMO, you don't get to say that, considering in the 'other' thread you posted this: "Can we have a male-only forum as well?" four posts in.. (and kicked off a massive, unnecessary, sihtstorm in doing so.)
That was not directed at the OP. If equality is desired, I think it is a reasonable question. Note that nobody answered my question by the way. I doubt it was my question that kicked off the the discussion, I have a feeling it was more the OP's reply to my question which triggered some people.

The last post of the OP in that thread was also quite an eye opener. I can't quote it anymore of course, since the thread has been deleted or moved.
Yeah thanks a lot, digits. You always gotta ruin it for everyone.

* this is a joke

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

The very idea of a helpful "clubhouse" is an absolute joke. Please. Give it up.

That's been proven by the responses I received to 2 recent, very altruistic threads -- at least I thought so --- on very serious topics, started to help other pilots.

Never again, and that's fine with me.

It is what it is, as they say. Obviously some have such a sorry existence, they hang out on the internet all day, waiting to troll, attempting to try to make others feel more miserable than they clearly are.

Let me know when this fabled supportive clubhouse appears.I am still waiting.

When it does, perhaps the overall authored content will improve as well.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I recently had a discussion with another member here, and as a result, I've become quite aware of the brain drain that's been happening lately. Personally, I blame Covid. It's brought out the worst in all of us.

I joined this forum when I embarked upon a path to becoming a professional pilot, 2 years ago give or take. The quality of discussion then was top notch. Now, it's not. I understand that as a group, Covid has hit us particularly hard, and it comes out in the discussion here. It's kind of inevitable. But here's the thing - I would not have come here, if two years ago, I was presented with the incivility I see before me now.

This forum has been of immeasurable value to me. I met my flight instructor here (PPL flight test next week BTW!). I met mentors here. I met equals here. Hell, I even found an operator for a wilderness trip here. But most of those people are silent now, driven away by the polarizing mudslinging that's happening. It's a shame. Were I to stumble across this site today, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

What do I think is the problem? I think it's the largely hands-off moderation. While I'm an ardent supporter of free speech, I think it goes too far here. I think a heavier moderation hand is needed, and lord knows, I've been known to post things that I shouldn't have. I've been issued a couple of tongue lashings myself.

Wandering into flying as a profession, I've noticed two things about pilots: we have egos, and we're very aware of our mortality. It doesn't make for easy public discourse. Sprinkle in the pepper of vastly differing senses of humour, and we end up where we are now.

I hope the people who have left will come back, but I truly believe a heavier moderation policy is needed. I, for one, will not be offended if a few of my posts are deleted in the attempt.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Aviation, more than many skills and pastimes, benefits from lots of mentoring, either one on one, or osmosis during conversations. It's pretty important that new pilots benefit from those with more experience. This is because the amount to be learned to be a safe new pilot exceeds what the curriculum can practically contain, and the disciplines involved are broader than the basic training, and too much for any one pilot to know thoroughly.

The clubhouse, be it a room at the airport, or a chat group like this, is a great place for this. New pilots benefit from the wisdom and experience of the older pilots, so like any "place", making the older pilots feel well received when they visit will attract and retain them, and allow the knowledge sharing. When I was a teenage airport kid, I was reminded a few times of the need to quietly fit in with the older pilots. I learned, and then learned a whole lot more! To this day, I have pilots 20 years my senior, who offer me advice on being better....

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

While the “clubhouse” seems like a good idea, for actual gaining of knowledge, you got to be where the action is happening, not where it’s just being talked about. I have also learned not to automatically venerate someone for being old, nor dismiss them for being young. Unfortunately the clubhouse vibe often does just that. Too much bullshit to wade through to get much meat. Not that there isn’t value, but it’s overrated. Too many fragile egos, too much politics. I have yet to see a club free from these, and have long let my memberships lapse.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Let this thread.....just die already. Please. Respectfully.

It is so far from reality, this thread doesn't deserve any affirmation.

Sincerely.

Return to “General Comments”