Pfizer Covid Vaccine shows 90% effectiveness.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Pfizer Covid Vaccine shows 90% effectiveness.

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/p ... index.html

This news ought to brighten everyone's day.....airline stocks are soaring.

(CNN)Drugmaker Pfizer said Monday an early look at data from its coronavirus vaccine shows it is more than 90% effective -- a much better than expected efficacy if the trend continues.

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.

In a news release, the pharmaceutical giant said it plans to seek emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration soon after volunteers have been monitored for two months after getting their second dose of vaccine, as requested by the FDA.
Pfizer said it anticipated reaching that marker by the third week of November.
The Phase 3 trial of the Pfizer vaccine, made with German partner BioNTech, has enrolled 43,538 particpants since July 27. As of Sunday, 38,955 of the volunteers have received a second dose of the vaccine. The company says 42% of international trial sites and 30% of US trial sites involve volunteers of racially and ethnically diverse backgrounds.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

"With today's news, we are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis," Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said in a statement. "We look forward to sharing additional efficacy and safety data generated from thousands of participants in the coming weeks."
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pfizer Covid Vaccine shows 90% effectiveness.

Post by montado »

One challenge with this vaccine will be transportation temperature is critical, I heard it needs be to stored at - 80.

If I remember correctly I called it that covid has become very political. Not that it's a hoax, but the fear was overblown... So interesting enough the election is called and this huge announcement crushes the markets. Zoom tanked, airlines soar. Everything that was great for pandemic like Amazon are taking a hit.

So give it a couple of months, we will stop testing for covid and get back to normal.

How will all the pro maskers rationalize its now safe to not wear a mask? I don't think the vaccine will eradicate the virus. Anyways very conspiracy theory maybe... The virus was Trump himself (metaphorically speaking) and now that the virus is gone we can move back to normal. Biden was a hero who ended the pandemic by doing nothing. He won't have to do anything controversial like mandatory mask or lockdown, which would destroy him in the ratings... And as fast as covid changed our lives, we will now go back to normal just as fast. I bet by summer 2021, 2020 will just look like a bad dream.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

I thought the very same thing. Interesting that a vaccine has appeared the very week of a change in Government in the US.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Next up....Zombie Apocalypse :lol:

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

My guess was if Biden won, the pandemic would be over within 4-6 weeks of inauguration. Not that I think covid is a hoax, but it certainly is very political.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

A vaccine with a 90% success rate for a virus with a 99.6% survival rate.

Can I go outside now, world governments?

Will fix airplanes for food.
tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Wonder what will happen once the SCOTUS rules that Trump actually won the election. :smt040

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

tsgarp wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am Wonder what will happen once the SCOTUS rules that Trump actually won the election. :smt040

Don’t hold your breath.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Cessna 180 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:02 am My guess was if Biden won, the pandemic would be over within 4-6 weeks of inauguration. Not that I think covid is a hoax, but it certainly is very political.
I think the Chinese wanted Trump gone yesterday because he stands up to them. Very suspicious they released this virus during an election year, but we will see where this all goes..... Biden is talking mask mask mask, but here in Canada the numbers are way up since masks were made mandatory in most areas. As for the vaccine, I hope it works but I won’t be at the front of any line to take it.

Let’s Go Brandon
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

shamrock104 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 am I thought the very same thing. Interesting that a vaccine has appeared the very week of a change in Government in the US.
At the last debate in Oct, Trump stated a vaccine would be ready or close to, early Nov. or maybe end of year. So we knew this announcement was coming.

wan2fly99
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wan2fly99 »

Im linning up after the Prime Mister, his wife, his kids, Ford and his family, Gates,,Faucci, Biden all get 3 does each of it

Oh ya, now our Great PM has signed us up for the Covid passport

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Seems like anyone investing in tinfoil hats is still going to make a killing.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Air.Field wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:18 am
shamrock104 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 am I thought the very same thing. Interesting that a vaccine has appeared the very week of a change in Government in the US.
At the last debate in Oct, Trump stated a vaccine would be ready or close to, early Nov. or maybe end of year. So we knew this announcement was coming.

Except that everyone was calling Trump a liar, if I remember correctly experts said things like we will be wearing masks for 3 to 5 more years, and said the first vaccine won't be that effective. So this was all bait and switch... Now that Trump is gone we find out the media pushed their agenda to build fear, all of a sudden Biden is in and Trump wasn't a liar... Vaccine is found and looks like normal could be as soon as spring.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:09 am

Except that everyone was calling Trump a liar, if I remember correctly experts said things like we will be wearing masks for 3 to 5 more years, and said the first vaccine won't be that effective. So this was all bait and switch... Now that Trump is gone we find out the media pushed their agenda to build fear, all of a sudden Biden is in and Trump wasn't a liar... Vaccine is found and looks like normal could be as soon as spring.
Trump said the vaccine would be distributed in Oct/Nov. CDC said Nov/Dec and it would take 6 months to vaccinate the whole country (which Trump said was untrue). It looks like even the CDC was slightly optimistic, as it will be Dec/Jan when it is first available, and the -70C requirement means it's going to take time to distribute. Pfizer has created packaging that lets the vaccine be transported in dry ice for 10 days, and it can then be stored in the fridge for 5 days, which means you don't need an ultra-cold freezer, but it will still create some challenges for distribution.

Trump also said you should inject bleach and take hydroxychloroquine, which killed a few people. Not very useful, other than a slight cleanup of the gene pool.

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

tsgarp wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am Wonder what will happen once the SCOTUS rules that Trump actually won the election. :smt040
Yeah, can't wait for them to overrule the same ballots that has the GOP with 50+ Senate seats and more House seats than they had pre-election. Oh wait, you mean that part of the same ballot wasn't fake?

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:05 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:02 am My guess was if Biden won, the pandemic would be over within 4-6 weeks of inauguration. Not that I think covid is a hoax, but it certainly is very political.
I think the Chinese wanted Trump gone yesterday because he stands up to them. Very suspicious they released this virus during an election year, but we will see where this all goes..... Biden is talking mask mask mask, but here in Canada the numbers are way up since masks were made mandatory in most areas. As for the vaccine, I hope it works but I won’t be at the front of any line to take it.
Look back to March during the first lockdown and see how COVID numbers decreased. Then look in the summer when lockdowns were eased and see where the numbers went. Here we are today with minimal lockdowns and numbers going up yet we have mandatory masking. But look at countries like the USA without mandatory masking and see that they have 5 times the COVID numbers as Canada. All we have to do it look to them to know that as much as a pain in the ass masks are, they actually do work. So just suck it up snowflake and wear the f'n mask.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

flyguy73 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:40 am
Inverted2 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:05 pm
Look back to March during the first lockdown and see how COVID numbers decreased. Then look in the summer when lockdowns were eased and see where the numbers went. Here we are today with minimal lockdowns and numbers going up yet we have mandatory masking. But look at countries like the USA without mandatory masking and see that they have 5 times the COVID numbers as Canada. All we have to do it look to them to know that as much as a pain in the ass masks are, they actually do work. So just suck it up snowflake and wear the f'n mask.
I always enjoy subjective “proof” that misses so many facts. Firstly in the USA do you even know how many states and municipalities have mandatory masks? 34 states, that’s right, including one of the hardest hit NY. Canadians think Americans are all hillbilly trumpians when for the most part they have very similar policy and similar compliance in most states.

Funny if you look at the graph for NY, mandatory masks happened end of may, however covid cases were already on the decline. Now for some reason cases are trending up, in the state that’s heavily democrat, and mask abiding citizens. (Is this really about mask... or maybe flu season, social distancing, and outdoor activity has way more bearing on outcomes?)

And let me guess, you have an answer for Sweden too, who has been averaging under 5 deaths a day since August. No mandatory mask in Sweden, some people there choose to wear them, however it seems as if the citizens can use their own judgment. Plenty of images from Sweden showing mask use is not really the norm.

Masks doesn’t work well enough to slow the spread. Need some proof just look at all the places with mandatory mask policy, it ain’t working :lol:... But I can tell you what the mask does very very well.. people who don’t have covid, and wear a mask, are doing a great job of not spreading covid... probably because the mask... but I’m not sure..... science....

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Everyone is an expert here and with so much contradictory evidence how are we supposed to ever figure this out

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Get rid of mandatory mask, its bullshit. Vaccine is bullshit. Covid is bullshit. Get over it..

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:39 am Seems like anyone investing in tinfoil hats is still going to make a killing.
What is the stock symbol for that? :D

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog

Return to “General Comments”