Industry snapshot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

md-99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Industry snapshot

Post by md-99 »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some opionions regarding the canadian aviation industry in these current times.
I'm finishing up a Bachelor on Commerce and I've always been interested in being a commercial pilot. I have experience flying with my buddy in his 172 but I currently don't hold any licenses.

1) I was wondering what is the best option for flight training (preferably in Ontario).
2) How will the industry look in the next couple of years given all the circumstances?... How is the work-life balance and pay?... And will there be any airlines hiring entry level positions any time soon?

Many thanks
---------- ADS -----------

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Industry snapshot

Post by gtappl »

1. Get your PPL and see if you'd like to keep going, buying in to a shared plane will be a lot easier if you're already licensed.

2. Absolutely fucking shit. As for pay you'll be going close to a decade making less than you would straight out of school in any other job (since you have a degree) To get an airline job you'd have to instruct for a year or two, then move up north whenever they start hiring again.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

md-99 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:49 am Hi all,

I'm looking for some opionions regarding the canadian aviation industry in these current times.
I'm finishing up a Bachelor on Commerce and I've always been interested in being a commercial pilot. I have experience flying with my buddy in his 172 but I currently don't hold any licenses.

1) I was wondering what is the best option for flight training (preferably in Ontario).
2) How will the industry look in the next couple of years given all the circumstances?... How is the work-life balance and pay?... And will there be any airlines hiring entry level positions any time soon?

Many thanks
I would recommend you get a full time Commerce job and get your licenses at a local flight school on a pay as you go basis (fly on evenings and weekends and holidays). I did this as a software engineer and then switched over to full time flying after two years with no debt. Additionally, with some experience in another industry you can always fall back on it if furloughed (I am currently back in software).

The industry is crappy now but I think in 4-5 years there will be a massive pilot shortage due to retirements, people not returning to the career post Covid and the growth of air travel.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 am

Many thanks
I would recommend you get a full time Commerce job and get your licenses at a local flight school on a pay as you go basis (fly on evenings and weekends and holidays). I did this as a software engineer and then switched over to full time flying after two years with no debt. Additionally, with some experience in another industry you can always fall back on it if furloughed (I am currently back in software).

The industry is crappy now but I think in 4-5 years there will be a massive pilot shortage due to retirements, people not returning to the career post Covid and the growth of air travel.
I agree with everything except the last part. A lot of airlines are expecting to still have a huge suplus 5 years in even with retirements, plus you'd have to wait until the 703 pilots jump ship to a 705 carrier before spaces open up on the bottom end.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:15 am

Many thanks

I agree with everything except the last part. A lot of airlines are expecting to still have a huge suplus 5 years in even with retirements, plus you'd have to wait until the 703 pilots jump ship to a 705 carrier before spaces open up on the bottom end.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Another unknown variable will be just how many pilots that lost their jobs during the past year will actually come back to the industry when the situation improves...I am thinking a lot will have moved onto other careers by that time...who can afford to sit around and wait for a call that may or may not ever come.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

dhc# wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:30 pm Another unknown variable will be just how many pilots that lost their jobs during the past year will actually come back to the industry when the situation improves...I am thinking a lot will have moved onto other careers by that time...who can afford to sit around and wait for a call that may or may not ever come.
I think alot will come back because they have no other education or high paying skills outside of flying. I have a decent job now in the tech industry. I will think long and hard before jumping back to my airline and will likely delay my recall until I can hold left seat again.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Many thanks
1. Lots of good options in Southern Ontario, it all depends on where you are geographically.

2. The industry will recover progressively in the next few years. The recent news and confidence in the vaccines reaffirms this. Expect low pay to start in this career. Keep a side hustle if you have responsibilties (e.g., family). As for work life balance, to each his own...

Airlines will not be hiring until the market demands it and all furloughed pilots have been recalled.

Return to “General Comments”