Montreal City Tour

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Goose1600
Rank 0
Rank 0

Montreal City Tour

Post by Goose1600 »

Hello I'm planning a VFR flight from Ottawa to Touch and GO at Les Cedres (CSS3), and then I'd like to do a City Tour over Montreal before returning to Ottawa.

Is there a specific procedure to follow for a city Tour in Montreal? Can I just follow the VFR (route) breadcrumbs in and then back out? What altitude should I use?

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Montreal City Tour

Post by Cavalier44 »

Consult your Quebec CFS, page 143 of 670 (MONTRÉAL VFR TERMINAL PROCEDURES CHART - CONT'D). Hope that helps - cheers!

julesb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by julesb »

It is pretty straight forward.

You first need to contact Montréal acc at 1-877-yul-code at least 30 minutes prior to entering the TCA. You can probably do it prior to leaving Ottawa. You need to do this on the phone. Tell them that you want to do a Ville-Marie tour. They will give you a transponder code and tell you if the Ville-Marie tour is approved.

Next open your VTA chart and check for the entry point. From the west it will be Mercier bridge.

Contact the terminal 134.15 before entering the TCA unless you want to stay below 1500 feet. I know I would.
Follow the instructions.
Let them know when you decide to leave the circuit and then exit at the Mercier bridge if you are going back west.
The controllers will help you all the way. It is actually easy.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I would never put my wheels down again and Les Cedres in an airplane I had respect for. Very poor runway & taxiway conditions. My Cherokee was pushing down weeds as a I taxied, and I could see the loose chunks of asphalt before I even flared.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
julesb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by julesb »

You are right about Les Cèdres being in bad shape.

The St-Lazare airport (CST3) is only a few minutes away and in much better shape.
Plus, you are practically into town. For example, there is a Tim Horton 5 min walking distance. Although with Covid none of this might be as useful as before.

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

Can confirm about both the condition of Les Cedres' runway and the proximity of St-Lazare's to the town's center - about a 4 minute walk from the threshold of runway 20 to the main street.

Of note about CST3 is that the paved section of the runway (02-20) is only 30 feet wide and winter maintenance is limited.

SRCrowne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SRCrowne »

I did my PPL at CSS3 and during that time I heard of an instance of a blown tire due to the runway condition.
When I did my flight test, the examiner seemed very nervous any time we moved over the runway surface.
Exercise caution is all I'm saying!

Return to “General Comments”