Can Tourism Operators Survive Another Year of Border Closure?

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Can Tourism Operators Survive Another Year of Border Closure?

Post by CruiserNU »

It looks likely that very few Canadians will receive any kind of vaccine before the start of summer. By that time the Americans will have their vaccination program well underway. If they get their numbers under control while our numbers are still off the graph, there may be a movement BY THE US to keep the border closed, and few Americans will want to risk coming here. Discussion?
---------- ADS -----------

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Can Tourism Operators Survive Another Year of Border Closure?

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I predict it will suck. I was a tourist in NWO this summer (Armstrong specifically, as a canoe tripper). Their business was down by 95%. Not may businesses can survive that.

In NWO 90% or so of their business is Americans coming for the fish. A lot of camps were shut down this year, to the point where we altered our route because we didn't want to be more than a day's travel from help. Everything was shut down. I don't know if they can take another year of this.

Doom and gloom and all that. It's not their fault, and I wish each and every one of them nothing but the best.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

CruiserNU wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm It looks likely that very few Canadians will receive any kind of vaccine before the start of summer. By that time the Americans will have their vaccination program well underway. If they get their numbers under control while our numbers are still off the graph, there may be a movement BY THE US to keep the border closed, and few Americans will want to risk coming here. Discussion?
So, at this point we've heard that the usa will start rolling it out mid December and we'll be rolling it out mid to end of January. That's less than 2 months.

The border will remain restricted as agreed by both sides until it's safe to allow unrestricted traffic both ways.

I don't know if you've looked at the amount of cases and spread in the usa but even with a 6 month head start they won't be "cured" before we are.

Unfortunately I don't see any movement for the 2021 season, maybe a small uptick in Canadians traveling within Canada.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

On the positive side, we will get to let the Americans be Pfeizer's guinea pigs for us before our employers and or governments for us to take the stuff.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

very worried about all of this, many will have their means of survival wiped out.

so I'll come clean, I am part of those who feel that the cure is worse than the disease.

fire away.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Grandma killer! Tin foil hat wearer! How dare you!

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

At the risk of being called a conspiracy theory tin foil hat guy. Canada has no capacity to manufacture a vaccine even if we had one to make. We are last in line to countries that will make it for their citizens first. We went for months without any leadership and we will have people die because of this. I know a friend who is pretty high up in a federal department that has told me nothing was done to try to kickstart a lab to do this. And he is the big trudeau fan boy. Even he is pissed off Sorry we spent our money bailing out the keiburgurs and the like. Instead of building a capacity to manufacture vaccinations. But hey we have a pretty leader. So there’s that

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Kejidog wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm Canada has no capacity to manufacture a vaccine even if we had one to make.
That’s not accurate. The Prime Minister was wrong when he said as much. What we do not have is capacity to manufacture the new mRNA vaccines.

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

" ... if everything goes right ..." about 50-percent of Canadians MIGHT be vaccinated by the end of September. Looks to me like another year of restrictions, border closure, stay-at-home orders, reduced international travel, etc.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

No matter what happens one thing is for sure. Things will not go back to the way it was before the Corona nonsense. This has gone on for much too long. Just in case you are sitting around waiting. Imho better off thinking about new directions.Blah blah blah...

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Kejidog wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm At the risk of being called a conspiracy theory tin foil hat guy. Canada has no capacity to manufacture a vaccine even if we had one to make. We are last in line to countries that will make it for their citizens first. We went for months without any leadership and we will have people die because of this. I know a friend who is pretty high up in a federal department that has told me nothing was done to try to kickstart a lab to do this. And he is the big trudeau fan boy. Even he is pissed off Sorry we spent our money bailing out the keiburgurs and the like. Instead of building a capacity to manufacture vaccinations. But hey we have a pretty leader. So there’s that
So we have a planned economy, now? I dunno... sounds like communism to me.

No... this is the reason why Canada doesn’t have any manufacturing capabilities. Canada is even an example. Guess who was in power then and who’s economic policies would have deterred any investment in innovative fields as they made money ham over fist on raw commodities?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_disease

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

I doubt that there'll be the political capital for restrictive border closures/travel restrictions (especially if proof of vaccination) come next summer. So, I don't share in the doom and gloom. It won't be pretty, but I think it'll be better than this year. My guess is that there'll be some travel, including wealthy Americans coming north to enjoy the Canadian wilderness.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Command economics? Where do you get that reference? A government that supposedly was “doing things” to protect citizens? Giving out a billion to friends while we couldn’t outfit our frontline workers with ppe is how they will be remembered by the next generation that will pay for this clusterfuck.

Let me see, i am just a stupid blue collar emergency services worker and even i understand that to make any inroads to procure and distribute a cure for a disease it needs some infrastructure investments. And it should have been in motion in March. Do we not have a national science institute? Universities? Or are they too communist for your likes? These vaccinations are made by a mostly automated process and we can’t even secure the lab equipment to accomplish this. From a country that was a WORLD LEADER in vaccination research and development.

I for one will not give any credit for cottage news briefings from fiddledee while rome burns as “action”. We have an interior decorator moving chais on deck of a sinking ship. And if your loved ones die while Mexico hands out millions of vaccines to their citizens who is to blame? I know who is right now. They all sit in parliament and they’re hiding and will be first in line to get a shot all the while grandstanding and congratulating themselves on “mission accomplished”. But yes we’re all in this together. We just have a whole cohort standing on our heads. And suckers seem to like it.

Sorry to be venting. We have seen a family run business based on tourism go tits up in my immediate family this summer. No reason to stay open. And i can name 5-10 families in rural Nova Scotia in the same dire predicament. Houses will be lost and god knows some of the peoples fates. It sucks.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 am I doubt that there'll be the political capital for restrictive border closures/travel restrictions (especially if proof of vaccination) come next summer. So, I don't share in the doom and gloom. It won't be pretty, but I think it'll be better than this year. My guess is that there'll be some travel, including wealthy Americans coming north to enjoy the Canadian wilderness.
You honestly think so? We slammed the border closed to US citizens. When their numbers increased. Their numbers are at the same percentages as ours and we love to blame Pres Trump. How can that be? Here in canada it’s the individuals spreading it and making it worse but in the US it’s Trump’s fault. If i was the us administration i’d ban travel and entry to countries that are not 60%+ vaccinated

We make fun of them on the national “broadcaster” for their deaths and response. We gloat and boast about how we are so much more “enlightened “. When trump said he’d call in the army to help commies in the cbc had a field day. When fuckfacce said the same thing yesterday it was a great idea. I actually hope they return the favor starting in January We canadians love to gloat but love to suck up an american dollar. We’re hypocrites and we love to screw our allies apparently

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

CruiserNU wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm It looks likely that very few Canadians will receive any kind of vaccine before the start of summer. By that time the Americans will have their vaccination program well underway. If they get their numbers under control while our numbers are still off the graph, there may be a movement BY THE US to keep the border closed, and few Americans will want to risk coming here. Discussion?
If they’re going for tourism, there won’t be large risk. They’re going into seclusion, not Toronto.

I guess I should write something here.
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Kejidog

Trump's a f**kin idiot on anyone's scale, by any measure, who's nothing more than an incompetent, narcissistic, dysfunctional grifter. I don't need the press or anyone else to tell me what I hear and see for myself. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence and the ability to screen out his fantasy BS can see him for who he is. But hey, he's loved by at least 74 million people who don't share my ability to see him for what he is, outside of this country. So who really gives a ...?

Our PM may not be hurting this country like that dumpster fire we see south of here, but he certainly lives in his own fantasyland. He and his complicit boffins are not only asleep at the switch but they're going to create tax burdens on our children and grandchildren for decades to come.
Keep our borders closed UFN. Simple. Why? Cause twinkle toes isn't doing much (I think the only thing he's done is legalize pot). While the pandemic broke he was pimping Canada at the UN Security Council (like who gives a ... about a security council seat?) while sending our PPE to China. It's like the policeman who's withdrawing money from his bank account while lending the robber his gun.

I just wish people would stop dissing on Disneyland.
I love Disneyland.

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Resurrected thread:

Will the US/Canada border remain closed this summer?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

CruiserNU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:07 pm Resurrected thread:

Will the US/Canada border remain closed this summer?
Given what we now know about the pace of the vaccine rollout, I would wager with near certainty that the border will remain closed until winter 2021 at the earliest.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Even if the border reopens, until the quarantine requirements are also lifted people are not going to travel across. I spent 5 weeks in the US last summer when I was out of work because I had the time when I returned. If I was working there is no way I could have done the trip for any length of time.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

The vaccine is no guarantee that travel will resume. They're not even hinting at it. Instead, they're slowly but steadily shutting travel down. Sort of like an amphibian getting boiled.

Return to “Covid”