Covid Vaccine Approval & Medicals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Covid Vaccine Approval & Medicals

Post by Tailwheelup »

Both the FAA and TC state that a Covid Vaccine will cancel our medicals.
Does anyone know what their position will be after the vaccines are given emergency approval?
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Covid Vaccine Approval & Medicals

Post by Rockie »

Do you have a reference for that?

Redmud
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Redmud »

FAA and Transport Canada dont want pilots taking the vacine...
link: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/faa ... d-vaccine/

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I have to say I am shocked by this. This will further increase the disconnect between TC medical and "real world" medical. Is this what TC really wants? I don't know about you, but I can live without Covid thanks.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Probably jumping the gun here. They are just saying ‘don’t participate in trials’. IE don’t take until fully FDA approved. Whether the ‘emergency authorization’ period is disqualifying is unknown still, may have to wait for that to end.

I would imagine it would be a losing battle to ultimately tell pilots they can’t take a vaccine... (TC included)

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Relax.

There’s nothing on either the FAA or TC website regarding this yet but according to the avweb article (3rd hand info) they have yet to make a decision. That doesn’t mean they aren’t going to. When they do I’m sure they’re going to make sure everybody concerned will know it in a timely fashion.

Can you imagine if most airline crew lose their medical because TC didn’t issue a warning ahead of time that it would result in a loss of license? Not going to happen.

Last edited by Rockie on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Tailwheelup wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:17 am Both the FAA and TC state that a Covid Vaccine will cancel our medicals.
Does anyone know what their position will be after the vaccines are given emergency approval?
Specifically referencing participation in a vaccine trial or use of a vaccine before full approval, so you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself on this one.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Participating in medical trials would void your medical. That's all.

Could be a trial for a new boner enhancer, still would void medical.

This is some real, unreferenced, clickbait. The article doesn't even give contact names.

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

Heliian wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 am Could be a trial for a new boner enhancer, still would void
Enhancer or enlarger? I may be willing to risk my medical for the latter...

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Hot Wings wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 am
Heliian wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 am Could be a trial for a new boner enhancer, still would void
Enhancer or enlarger? I may be willing to risk my medical for the latter...
:lol: :lol:

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Quite honestly I couldn't give a s**t about what the FAA and TC says about this.

I'll be getting it ASAP. It's the only hope of getting this industry back on it's feet.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Good!! and bad in a way.

Good because its not mandatory. Bad because scared sheep can't get one if they want to be a pilot. As long as its not mandatory, it should stay that way.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 am Good!! and bad in a way.

Good because its not mandatory. Bad because scared sheep can't get one if they want to be a pilot. As long as its not mandatory, it should stay that way.
The vaccine is for human use, I don't think that sheep are eligible for a pilot's license anyway.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

47north wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:35 am Quite honestly I couldn't give a s**t about what the FAA and TC says about this.

I'll be getting it ASAP. It's the only hope of getting this industry back on it's feet.
Incredible perspective... if the experts say we need a vaccine you buy in and get one to save all the vulnerable people. If other experts say you can’t take a vaccine because it may be detrimental to you as a pilot and your duties you say you don’t give a shit about the passengers and your own life and you won’t be listening to their expertise, and go against the “sops” as others have used as an analogy here.

Trying to understand this! If you are not vulnerable yourself chill out! Let everyone else vaccinate and I’m sure tc will approve it before us working class are even eligible for it.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

[/quote]

Incredible perspective... if the experts say we need a vaccine you buy in and get one to save all the vulnerable people. If other experts say you can’t take a vaccine because it may be detrimental to you as a pilot and your duties you say you don’t give a shit about the passengers and your own life and you won’t be listening to their expertise, and go against the “sops” as others have used as an analogy here.

Trying to understand this! If you are not vulnerable yourself chill out! Let everyone else vaccinate and I’m sure tc will approve it before us working class are even eligible for it.
[/quote]

Actually I am chill. I also don't drink, don't do drugs, exercise regularly and am in better shape than many 20 years younger. How many pilots have you seen that are 100 lbs. over weight and one poutine away from a heart attack? Lots for me and more and more every year. Are they 'giving a shit about their passengers or their own health? How about the many that show up unprepared for training or unrested for duty? Do they give a shit about their passengers or their own health? Much more risk flying with these individuals than someone like me that has been vaccinated.

You do you and I'll do me.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Just watch, there will be a bunch of adverse side effects from it, or it won’t be effective. (viruses mutate constantly). Hence why we don’t have an effective vaccine for other flu or the common cold which is also a corona virus FYI.

Let’s Go Brandon
Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

Here is the latest from Transport Canada

QUOTE:
· It remains the general position of Transport Canada (TC) Civil Aviation Medicine (CAM) that participation in medical trials is not considered compatible with aviation medical certification. This remains true for the trial of vaccines.

· However, TC CAM does not restrict or limit aviation medical certificate holders from taking vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada (and the use of which is no longer considered a trial).

· Furthermore, TC CAM does not impose grounding periods for aviation medical certificate holders who wish to take vaccines approved by Health Canada.

· The side effect profiles of the various COVID-19 vaccines remain to be clarified. However, assuming that they are similar to influenza vaccines, then the current direction found in the Aeronautical Information Manual will apply:

· AIM (AIR) 3.13 Immunizations https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... _air-e.pdf : “After receiving routine immunizations, such as flu shots or tetanus shots, pilots should remain at the clinic for the amount of time recommended by their health-care provider. In general, this ranges from 15 to 30 min after the immunization. If the pilot feels well and there is no evidence of an adverse reaction, they may resume flying immediately without restriction.If they feel unwell or experience an adverse reaction, they should wait for 24 hr and be assessed by a health-care provider prior to flying. The Civil Aviation Medicine Branch will monitor any new immunization developments and guidelines, and recommendations will be provided as needed."

· Transport Canada will issue alternative direction if necessary; however, the approach outlined above is expected to apply to the COVID-19 immunizations approved by Health Canada.

END QUOTE

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Thanks for posting the latest guidance Tailwheelup.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Do you have some crayons to draw this out for the users on this forum who struggle with reading comprehension?

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 pm Just watch, there will be a bunch of adverse side effects from it, or it won’t be effective. (viruses mutate constantly). Hence why we don’t have an effective vaccine for other flu or the common cold which is also a corona virus FYI.
Not hence at all... flu vaccines have varying effectiveness because it is a roll of the dice which strain will dominate during that coming flu season, and the “common cold” is actually caused by hundreds of different viruses which present symptomatically in a similar way. Also, the vast majority of viruses causing colds aren’t coronavirus, but better luck next time!

Return to “General Comments”