Covid Vaccine Approval & Medicals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Covid Vaccine Approval & Medicals

Post by ReserveTank »

Tailwheelup wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:58 pm assuming that they are similar to influenza vaccines
That may be a problem. These vaccines are nothing like a flu vaccine.
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Meanwhile, the Air Line Pilots Association is telling its members to not take part in clinical trials for vaccines because they’ll lose their medicals, perhaps for a long time. “… since no trial COVID-19 vaccine has full FDA approval, the FAA considers participation in COVID-19 vaccine trials medically disqualifying for pilots for an indefinite period,” Found on pprune

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Taking place in clinical trials is quite different than being vaccinated by a vaccination that has been approved by your country.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

Especially when said approved vaccine hasn't been through the usual clinical trials.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/res ... l-testing/

Will fix airplanes for food.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

AIM AIR 3.13
3.13 IMMUNIZATIONS
After receiving routine immunizations, such as flu shots or tetanus shots, pilots should remain at the clinic for the amount of time recommended by their health-care provider. In general, this ranges from 15 to 30 min after the immunization. If the pilot feels well and there is no evidence of an adverse reaction, they may resume flying immediately without restriction. If they feel unwell or experience an adverse reaction, they should wait for 24 hr and be assessed by a health-care provider prior to flying. The Civil Aviation Medicine Branch will monitor any new immunization developments and guidelines, and recommendations will be provided as needed.
It's obviously tough to follow the recommended period when there isn't one yet. I'm sure this will all get sorted out once they have more experience with the vaccine.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hot Wings wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:42 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 pm Just watch, there will be a bunch of adverse side effects from it, or it won’t be effective. (viruses mutate constantly). Hence why we don’t have an effective vaccine for other flu or the common cold which is also a corona virus FYI.
Not hence at all... flu vaccines have varying effectiveness because it is a roll of the dice which strain will dominate during that coming flu season, and the “common cold” is actually caused by hundreds of different viruses which present symptomatically in a similar way. Also, the vast majority of viruses causing colds aren’t coronavirus, but better luck next time!
It isn't the only one, but a lot of colds are caused by coronaviruses, depending on the year, it could be a majority.

Coronavirus
Rhinovirus
RSV and parainfluenza

Are the main culprits.

Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Most people get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Longtimer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 pm Taking place in clinical trials is quite different than being vaccinated by a vaccination that has been approved by your country.
The vaccine is still in clinical trials and has not received full approval, only emergency use approval.

This isn't a routine immunization yet. Until full approval is received
or we here more from the regulators you take it at the risk of your medical.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

altiplano wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:54 pm The vaccine is still in clinical trials and has not received full approval, only emergency use approval.

This isn't a routine immunization yet. Until full approval is received
or we here more from the regulators you take it at the risk of your medical.
Are you sure?

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... ntech.html
Health Canada wrote:The vaccine is approved for people who are 16 years of age and older. Its safety and effectiveness in people younger than 16 years of age have not yet been established.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

In Canada it's only approved under an "Interim Order" not the Food and Drug Regulations.

The Interim Order provides the Minister with the ability to take into consideration the uncertainties and the urgent public health needs in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic while determining if a drug demonstrates that its benefits outweigh its risks. Instead of providing detailed reports of the tests establishing the safety of a new drug and substantial evidence of clinical effectiveness as required by the Food and Drug Regulations, the Interim Order requires an applicant to submit the known information with respect to the safety and effectiveness of a COVID-19 drug.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... te.html#a2

It's still in clinical trials, it doesn't have full approval.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Human Factor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:45 pm Especially when said approved vaccine hasn't been through the usual clinical trials.

In MARCH (the date of your FUD) it hadn't been through any trials, no.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:00 am
Human Factor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:45 pm Especially when said approved vaccine hasn't been through the usual clinical trials.

In MARCH (the date of your FUD) it hadn't been through any trials, no.
My bad for posting a link to an older article, but as far as I can see, not one of the covid vaccines has been through the standard clinical testing yet.

Straight to humans seems like a reckless path, especially since we're not staring down the end of days with this virus.

Will fix airplanes for food.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

No worries , by the time you get a vaccine it will have been well tested by pensioners, prisoners , and other priority people .

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

The FAA has approved the Pfizer vaccine for use by pilots.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=96258

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

2R wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:00 pm No worries , by the time you get a vaccine it will have been well tested by pensioners, prisoners , and other priority people .
Politicians.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

TC clarifies no trials, but any approval by Health Canada is good enough.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/medica ... te-holders

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Typical government speak. They title the memo "COVID-19 vaccines and Aviation Medical Certificate holders"... and then go on to say nothing specifically about Covid-19 vaccines.

I know it has been approved for use. It has been approved for emergency use AFAIK, and I am still left unsure of whether or not that qualifies as a trial or an approval.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

It's an approval.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

ahramin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:49 pm It's an approval.
Where does it say that? Why can't they just simply say "Pilots can take the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine without impacting their medical fitness to fly."? I think the fact that they haven't said that... says something. Sorry but silence speaks louder than words with with stuff.

This is Transport approving vaccines, but passing the buck to Health. Covering their asses.

I'm sorry - I want real, actual wording, telling me I can have this vaccine. I haven't seen that. I've seen weaselspeak.

And no - this isn't isn't just a rant about weaslespeak; I am still genuinely confused as to who exactly has approved this.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Why are you so paranoid? Health Canada approved it for public use and Transport Canada issued a statement (linked in a post above) saying pilots could take it with no impact to their license. 30 seconds spent looking on the relevant government websites will give you the same answer.

Return to “General Comments”