Air Canada Cancels More Atlantic Routes and Closes More Stations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Air Canada Cancels More Atlantic Routes and Closes More Stations

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/mass ... -1.5221865

Airports affected: Charlottetown, Saint John, Deer Lake, Halifax, Sydney N.S. and Fredericton.

This leaves Porter with essentially a monopoly out East, if they survive their COVID shutdown.
---------- ADS -----------

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Canada Cancels More Atlantic Routes and Closes More Stations

Post by all_ramped_up »

PAL is still active and recently expanded into New Brunswick... whereas Porter hasn't spun a prop in months.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

all_ramped_up wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 pm PAL is still active and recently expanded into New Brunswick... whereas Porter hasn't spun a prop in months.
I meant a monopoly flying to and from the GTA, Ottawa and Montreal areas out east.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:23 pm https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/mass ... -1.5221865

This leaves Porter with essentially a monopoly out East, if they survive their COVID shutdown.
Porter?

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

rudder wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:23 pm https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/mass ... -1.5221865

Porter?

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!
Perhaps - but it will make their eventual reopening more likely, if they're not competing as much for the seats.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:48 pm
rudder wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Porter?

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!
Perhaps - but it will make their eventual reopening more likely, if they're not competing as much for the seats.
I don't think this is how it works. Right know there's no butts to fill seats, that's why porter, WestJet and now Air Canada have made their moves to exit the market. If people want to fly again and there's money to be made it won't be porter sliding in with no competition.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

montado wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:15 pm I don't think this is how it works. Right know there's no butts to fill seats, that's why porter, WestJet and now Air Canada have made their moves to exit the market.
Porter hasn't exited the East Coast market. They've put their entire network in hibernation. AC/Jazz have shuttered entire stations. If they want to fly out there again, they'll need to hire and train new CSA's and rampies to replace the ones they've let go. They'll need to re-install signage and check-in counters, etc. They can't just flip a switch and restart operations.

All Porter has to do is recall the people they've laid off and start advertising flights. True, there are many people who prefer YYZ with the seamless AC or WJ connections, but out of YOW or YUL, it'll be just as easy to take Porter as AC or WJ. Once the bubble opens up and and when Porter starts flying again, they won't have much competition until AC and WJ spool up a whole East Coast operation again.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Hmmm well I’m not convinced that porter is going to start up and dominate the east coast... how many porter employees are sitting at home in their uniform ready to go tomorrow if they get the call? I’d bet half of them have moved on to other jobs, who sits around waiting? So if you think porter is going to flip a light switch, and that Westjet and Air Canada can’t get a domestic destination set up just as fast as porter wakes up, I think you are wrong. In fact I’m willing to bet Trudeau will even pay for new signage and throw some money at air Canada to get them to set up shop on the east coast when the time is right. People out east will need more of a network than porter provides. Those east coasters will be buying tickets to go west coast and beyond. So no, porter won’t be tapping in to anything that air Canada and westjet can offer.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Air Canada (and Jazz) can have a station operational almost immediately (talking days- not weeks).
Porter is not even a consideration at Calin and Rousseau's desks at this point.

Return to “General Comments”