Should Canadian airlines stop flights to UK, New covid strain.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Should Canadian airlines stop flights to UK, New covid strain.

Post by montado »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/british-c ... -1.5849235

Other nations are stopping flights, will Canada follow?
---------- ADS -----------

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Should Canadian airlines stop flights to UK, New covid strain.

Post by garfield »

We're doomed

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I'm surprised anyone was still flying to the UK at all. It's been a COVID cesspool for a while now.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There are already thousands of variants of this virus.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5849598

Airlines won't be making the decision, it's already been made for them

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

All caused mortality in the UK. Since June it has been pretty stable. Maybe this years respiratory season came a bit early.
0CF90316-CB11-4958-81B9-A25875C538C5.png
0CF90316-CB11-4958-81B9-A25875C538C5.png (734.43 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
3552E485-7699-4893-9FB7-C89593C4FA6E.png
3552E485-7699-4893-9FB7-C89593C4FA6E.png (762.51 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

All flights to UK cancelled starting tomorrow from Canada.

Europe is next given the panic. I actually think all pax flights will be grounded in the coming days weeks. Probably the final nail in the coffin for airlines without government help.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Last edited by twa22 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Last edited by HavaJava on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

BTD wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:42 pm All caused mortality in the UK. Since June it has been pretty stable. Maybe this years respiratory season came a bit early.

If only the masses would realize this. Respiratory illnesses are competitive...if you are vulnerable then in all likelihood you will perish during the respiratory season...the most competitive virus will get you...if it wasn’t Covid then it was going to be another.

And before you shout me down for just being a know nothing pilot...this came from a epidemiologist on the BBC so go @#$& yourself. (not directed at you BTD)

kilo3bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilo3bravo »

Covid-20 Pro Version, out just in time for Christmas.

Given these mutations/strain variants have been circulating the globe for some time now - I am skeptical that temporarily suspending flights will make much of difference at all. Read this morning they expect vaccine will still be effective on these strains and similar (unverifiable source / I am not a doctor).

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Any news on when Bat soup will be back on the menu ?
You can still fly to Chynnaaa , and that bat soup must be to die for , darling :)

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Latest from the BBC:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55404087

40 Countries have imposed travel bans to/from the UK and more travel bans in other regions.

Is this going to happen every time the Virus mutates? Mass hysteria isn't helpful imho.

One key point that seems to be missing is whether this strain is more or less lethal (my understanding is that when a virus mutates it usually weakens).

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It seems to have been forgotten that the only reason all these restrictions are imposed is to stop hospitals from overflowing. I have family that can't get cancer surgery as it is in this country. The only hysterics I see are from pilots in Canada. Maybe I don't get out enough.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

So any new ideas on how covid should/could have been handled better? Our hospitals are now full of doctors and nurses who go out into the community and spread the virus because we mixed everyone together under one roof.

Maybe an idea for next pandemic, open up a few satellite makeshift pandemic centers. Say a province like Ontario could open 5-10 of them province wide. To staff it you pay the doctors and nurses exorbitant amounts of cash, with a condition that they do rotation work where they live at the center for 3 months at a time. You could even just say anyone who works at the pandemic center doesn't have to pay income taxes that year on their job related income. The cash will get health care providers to volunteer to work in the pandemic center, the pandemic center itself keeps the virus contained at a location other than where our primary healthcare is provided (like china's pop up hospital built in 6 days). And 3 month (or whatever duration) rotation with thorough screening on departure means our health care workers don't go home every night to infect their family and allow the virus to spread into the community as easily. Basically you could turn a university campus into a pandemic center as you would have housing for staff, and most infrastructure you need.

I think we could all come up with ideas of how this could be dealt with better. But lets face it, the way this pandemic was handled was do nothing, and hope the vaccine comes soon enough. It was not deadly enough to take evasive action, so now everything looks like a big over reaction. Anyways now we are just riding this out with half measures, we have caused more harm than the virus itself. We made damaging decisions while doing little to stop the virus from spreading.

Do you know what the number one action to prevent the spread of influenza and other similar viruses? Believe it or not, its wash your hands. How do you get the Flu? By touching your face. Unless someone coughs or sneezes right on you, its going to be touching something with the virus and then touching your face. Unfortunately while this has been part of the messaging I think the media, and peoples belief's are a little backwards.

Wear a Mask, Physical Distance, Wash your hands

Maybe Could have been

Wash your Hands, Physical Distance, Wear a Mask

But I guess you can't virtue signal with hand washing... Like ohhh look at me washing my hands, I'm better than you! Nah, only something like a mask would work for that. We continue to divert 90 percent of our energy into measures that are factually (when speaking about influenzas) less effective. When people in China wear a mask its because they are symptomatic. Its because they are coughing and sneezing. To wear a mask with zero symptoms...and if you insist wash your hands when putting it on and taking it off. Think about it if you wear a mask to reduce viral load into the atmosphere, you now have a dirty mask with an enormous viral load. You put it on and take it off and this load is all over your hands. You now touch things that other people commonly touch such as door knobs. Was the mask really the best defense? Does anyone really think we are doing this right?

Of course staying home when you are symptomatic is number one, But when you are out at work, or shopping, washing your hands is the most important thing you can do. However What I see is masks, people touching their faces and snotty masks, and very little hand washing in relation to the mask measure. Every time you touch your mask you should be washing your hands, the hell if I can do that when forced to wear a mask half the day. And of course this is data in relation to Influenza, not covid specifically. But my non expert opinion would say they probably have this in common. And if you believe covid is spreading by aerosols, well that renders the mask pretty much useless anyways. Well I'm going to wash my hands and take my vitamin D.

Last edited by montado on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Too little , too late .
ICAO should have stopped all flights from Wuhan when the Chinese stopped allowing flights from Wuhan to Beijing.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

HavaJava wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:14 pm
BTD wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:42 pm All caused mortality in the UK. Since June it has been pretty stable. Maybe this years respiratory season came a bit early.

If only the masses would realize this. Respiratory illnesses are competitive...if you are vulnerable then in all likelihood you will perish during the respiratory season...the most competitive virus will get you...if it wasn’t Covid then it was going to be another.

And before you shout me down for just being a know nothing pilot...this came from a epidemiologist on the BBC so go @#$& yourself. (not directed at you BTD)
Except in a normal year our hospitals and ICU's don't overflow from these competitive illnesses and and cancel other important surgeries? Where would we be at if we did nothing at all? Even with our actions it's still already killed more people than influenza has in the last decade.

How's that working out in Sweden now? Even the lead epidemiologist fo rtheir strategy has admitted he was wrong and now is trying to figure out how he doesn't become the martyr and infamous for it.

Sure there are lots of mutations and hopefully it will mutate itself to a non-issue but there appear to be a few strains that are potentially a bigger problem. The UK likely took 3 months to figure this issue out because science takes time and it would taken significant data to figure out that it was a problem vs overnight. Hopefully they are right that the vaccines are effective but again that takes time, the vaccines have just been approved, there's a waiting period between 1st and 2nd dose, then it takes time for the vaccine to work, for re-exposure to the virus, and then monitoring to see what health effects it has.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

but feelings might have been hurt.
All hail Trudeau.
2R wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:12 am Too little , too late .
ICAO should have stopped all flights from Wuhan when the Chinese stopped allowing flights from Wuhan to Beijing.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

How's that working out in Sweden now?
Seems that their lack of lockdown didn’t make too much of a difference. They are doing better then some that did a lockdown and worse then others. And their trends are downwards now. Below are the covid deaths data, uncorrected for demographics and also data for all caused mortality in Sweden.

There is no question this year has been bad and covid is the the likely cause, the question is, what does the data show now that we passed the “first wave”.

I encourage all to follow the data and not just a journalists opinion on the data.
55E89FF8-87E9-4B63-BC21-5A6133000A5B.png
55E89FF8-87E9-4B63-BC21-5A6133000A5B.png (773.38 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
773B0656-1E2B-41D0-8FF4-B32C1A674E48.png
773B0656-1E2B-41D0-8FF4-B32C1A674E48.png (748.29 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
88581B88-60E3-4962-A4D1-FDA5268D05F4.png
88581B88-60E3-4962-A4D1-FDA5268D05F4.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1829 times

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Here is the data from euromomo on all caused mortality from the 26 European countries that are participating.

Seems that this season is shaping up to be about what 2018 was although maybe a bit earlier of a start.

D710E5C3-498B-4600-892D-4756B7CDD116.png
D710E5C3-498B-4600-892D-4756B7CDD116.png (753.1 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Return to “General Comments”