Who Else Looked Up To C huck Yeager As a Kid?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Who Else Looked Up To C huck Yeager As a Kid?

Post by tsgarp »

rooster wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:00 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:54 pm
rooster wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:46 pm What was so legendary about him? He was a test pilot. First guy to break the sound barrier, cooool :roll: . Is it really that impressive?
Yes. It is.
Meh, I'm more impressed by every day heroes doing things for people in their community. Not some dude who went really fast. Cool story brah!
You want to read a bit more about the topic, and the man. He went many places where his safe return was far from certain, and from which less skilled individuals may not have returned.
---------- ADS -----------

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Who Else Looked Up To C huck Yeager As a Kid?

Post by rooster »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:44 pm Well by that measure, I too would impress you, albeit much more humbly. I pick up groceries for widows and widowers and take out their garbage. Sometimes I even shovel their driveways and yell at their porch pirates. I am a million times more humble than thou art!

But I'm not risking my life doing any of that (aside from driving in Brampton). C huck did. Many people look up to him because he did what was widely considered to be impossible - or, at least suicidal. I may perhaps be humbler and less of a jerk, but he was braver than I.

My hero? Nelson Mandela. He was also a jerk, and a wanton opportunist. He was also lucky, 20 years of incarceration notwithstanding.
Well then you are correct in that if you actually do those things, I'd look up to you more than Chucky. Whether or not you risk your life or not.
tsgarp wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:52 pm
You want to read a bit more about the topic, and the man. He went many places where his safe return was far from certain, and from which less skilled individuals may not have returned.
Ok well that's fair, but I still am just not that mesmerised or impressed by him at all.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”