Is being a Commercial Pilot in Canada worth it?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bearsethi96
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is being a Commercial Pilot in Canada worth it?

Post by bearsethi96 »

This has been my dream to fly since I was 5 but lately I keep seeing things all over that I wouldn't even be making much money or any at all apparently, and that I'd spend more on schooling than the actual field.

Can some actual Com Pilots in Canada actually give me an input on their life in the field?
---------- ADS -----------

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is being a Commercial Pilot in Canada worth it?

Post by Otto Pilot »

I should have jumped into the trades

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Obviously things are tough right now but it will come back at some point. It may not be the most secure industry but you can certainly make a good living doing it. The money sucks at first for sure but Most people who complain about the money long term are people that weren’t willing to make a move and end up spending too long in shitty low paying jobs. A lot of pilots also seem to have the impression that every Tom, Dick and Harry are making $150k+, that certainly isn’t the case. Me and my wife are both in aviation and both currently out of work, neither of us are second guessing our career choices.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:09 pm A lot of pilots also seem to have the impression that every Tom, Dick and Harry are making $150k+, that certainly isn’t the case.
Exactly. The median annual income in Canada is $33,000. This is shitty, entry level pay in aviation. Most pilots who have at least some level of experience under their belts are making 3-10 times that much, usually working much less than the average Joe.
Aviation certainly isn't perfect, but if you find a good spot, it's pretty great.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:18 pm Exactly. The median annual income in Canada is $33,000.
According to StatsCanda, median income in 2018 was $36,400, but the average was $48k. I can't find the statistics at the moment, but in most other socio-economic class B jobs, I bet the median income is a lot higher.

Being a commercial pilot is (eventually) way better paid than being a warehouse assistant, supermarket checkout operator, personal support worker in a long term care home, or janitor of a small building. But that's not saying much.

In most areas of life, you don't need $100k, three years of training and a dozen flight tests and written exams to earn the median income.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

A dream career, in my view, is to discover what in life you love so much, you'd happily do it for free, and find a way to get paid for it.

It's a very personal decision, what that looks like, if the sacrifice to really do what you want is worth it, along with compensation and lifestyle factors.

Not sure there is one right or wrong answer.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

bearsethi96 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm Is being a Commercial Pilot in Canada worth it?
I hope so. Not a commercial pilot here, but training to become one.

Here's a thought: "pilot" is a rather broad job description, just as "lawyer" or "doctor" is. There are endless niches and specialties, some that pay better than others. There are labour lawyers and criminal lawyers and constitutional lawyers, there are family doctors and trauma doctors and neurosurgeons, and then there are airline pilots and bush pilots and ferry pilots and test pilots and humanitarian relief pilots.

Just like any business, starting out sucks. But just like any business, if you play your cards right, the money is there when you work your way up. Now is a particularly rough time, but tomorrow probably won't be as tough.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

bearsethi96 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm This has been my dream to fly since I was 5 but lately I keep seeing things all over that I wouldn't even be making much money or any at all apparently, and that I'd spend more on schooling than the actual field.

Can some actual Com Pilots in Canada actually give me an input on their life in the field?
Absolutely, it is worth it. I got furloughed due to the pandemic and have zero regrets. It's true you won't be making much money to start. You will certainly make more than what you spend to get trained if you look at the bigger picture.

If money is what is driving you to pursue a career in aviation you will be greatly disappointed to start. Job satisfaction, morale etc will suffer.

Some will say get a high paying professional job, buy your own plane and fly on weekends. Others will say to chase your dreams. I'm of the latter type. Good luck.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

sjatana wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm Some will say get a high paying professional job, buy your own plane and fly on weekends. Others will say to chase your dreams. I'm of the latter type. Good luck.
"We live to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting." - Kahlil Gibran

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

bearsethi96 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm This has been my dream to fly since I was 5 but lately I keep seeing things all over that I wouldn't even be making much money or any at all apparently, and that I'd spend more on schooling than the actual field.

I'm not a pilot but my take is that it's not worth it at all! EVERYONE (even schools) will take advantage of the fact that this is someone's "dream" and then all logic goes out the window. People will pay you criminally small sums, and you'll hear a lot of carrot on a stick promises that aren't actually backed by anything :/

Everyone has to make different sacrifices, so it's hard to say if it's worth it because you don't know what you'll run into. My feeling though if you're ok living a "normal" life (with kids and a wife etc) then you're best off keeping flying a hobby.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:09 pm Obviously things are tough right now but it will come back at some point. It may not be the most secure industry but you can certainly make a good living doing it. The money sucks at first for sure but Most people who complain about the money long term are people that weren’t willing to make a move and end up spending too long in shitty low paying jobs. A lot of pilots also seem to have the impression that every Tom, Dick and Harry are making $150k+, that certainly isn’t the case. Me and my wife are both in aviation and both currently out of work, neither of us are second guessing our career choices.
Even if you're willing to move anywhere for an infinite period of time, there are basically no fresh cpl jobs to go around that actually have you flying a plane on day 1.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:42 pm I'm not a pilot but my take is that it's not worth it at all!
Do you think that because you've essentially given up being a pilot, that your views on being a pilot, may now be biased?

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:50 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:42 pm I'm not a pilot but my take is that it's not worth it at all!
Do you think that because you've essentially given up being a pilot, that your views on being a pilot, may now be biased?
Good point, everyone has their bias though that does work both ways :smt040

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:56 pm
Absolutely.

Ask 10 people what "worth it" means and I bet you'd get 10 different answers. Worth it in terms of what? Money? Schedule? Job satisfaction? QOL? There are so many variables that this type of question really is very personal. One person's definition of "worth it" can be in direct contrast to another's.

OP, if you really want to do it, do it. It's not a life sentence. If at any point it becomes not "worth it" anymore, that's the time to leave. At least at that point, you know you've tried.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:16 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:56 pm
Absolutely.

Ask 10 people what "worth it" means and I bet you'd get 10 different answers. Worth it in terms of being rich? Job satisfaction? QOL? There are so many variables and that this type of question really is very personal. One person's definition of "worth it" can be in direct contrast to another's.

OP, if you really want to do it, do it. It's not a life sentence. If at any point it becomes not "worth it" anymore, that's the time to leave. At least at that point, you know you've tried.
very good way to put it!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:30 pm
shimmydampner wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:18 pm Exactly. The median annual income in Canada is $33,000.
According to StatsCanda, median income in 2018 was $36,400, but the average was $48k. I can't find the statistics at the moment, but in most other socio-economic class B jobs, I bet the median income is a lot higher.

Being a commercial pilot is (eventually) way better paid than being a warehouse assistant, supermarket checkout operator, personal support worker in a long term care home, or janitor of a small building. But that's not saying much.

In most areas of life, you don't need $100k, three years of training and a dozen flight tests and written exams to earn the median income.
It’s not overly difficult in aviation to make well over the median income. The only friend I have who makes more than me is a dental surgeon. When you compare the hours she puts in to make that money I make about the same per hour but work wayyyy less.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The OP came on here to be released from his dream. He wants permission from us to go and do something else with his life, and the way he's asking for that permission is that he wants to hear that "it's not worth it."

Go, OP, you are released. Do something else with your life, and you don't need to feel bad about it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:43 pm The OP came on here to be released from his dream. He wants permission from us to go and do something else with his life, and the way he's asking for that permission is that he wants to hear that "it's not worth it."

Go, OP, you are released. Do something else with your life, and you don't need to feel bad about it.
Fair enough. Good point.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:43 pm The OP came on here to be released from his dream. He wants permission from us to go and do something else with his life, and the way he's asking for that permission is that he wants to hear that "it's not worth it."

You may well be right, but I think you're being unnecessarily harsh.

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

I went the other route. I have a trade under my belt, another diploma, and currently in a career that makes just over 100k/year. I'm finally at the point where I fly for fun but I'm honestly jealous of my friends who have spent the last decade getting paid to fly while I was stuck on the ground. The gravy for me will be working towards a part time flying gig while I stick with my main career. That will be a sweet moment.

Return to “General Comments”