ADSB diversity update?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Histolytica
Rank 0
Rank 0

ADSB diversity update?

Post by Histolytica »

Hi everybody, does anybody have any updated information about the ADS-B diversity requirements?
Based on the last article I read (I believe it was COPA 2019), phase 1 starts today Jan 2021 this is for class A airspace. Phase 2 includes class B airspace and apparently will start 1 year from now. The Nav Canada website is very vague and down-plays the effect on GA.

Here's my predicament, I'll be buying a new transponder soon. It is for private GA use but I do plan on flying over 12,500. So unless something changes, it looks like I'll need a diversity equipped transponder. The garmin gtx 345D transponder is basically double the price of the regular 345, and then there's the extra expense of adding another antennae on top. So we're talking about spending ~$10k for a vague mandate with very little information (at least that I can find).

Does anybody have updated information?

Thanks
H
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ADSB diversity update?

Post by Cessna 180 »

If your plane is compatible once certified, the TailBeacon X is probably the most cost-effective option.

Histolytica
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Histolytica »

Yeah the tailbeacon x is an interesting possibility. But that's if it gets approved. It would sure save a bunch of money.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I would not make any avionics choices based on rumours about NavCanada's future plans. Look at the current requirements and published future requirements and go with that. NavCanada has NO published current or future requirements for ADS-B outside of MNPS airspace.

However if you are looking for rumours to justify spending another 10k, here's the latest I have.

August 2019 from TC: Any diversity requirement will not affect class C airspace around major urban centers because they will install ground based systems.

October 2020 from NavCanada: All ADS-B plans are on indefinite hold until traffic levels resume.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I believe the tail beacon X requires a dedicated panel controller like the Av20 or Av 30. So I would suggest more research. The L3 Lynx transponder is diversity capable at an upcharge of I believe only $ 1000 so it seems to be quite a bit less than GARMIN's units

Personally and an opinion worth every penny you paid for it :wink: , It appears to me that Nav Canada has for now, put ADSB in the "too hard" box.

There is no question that space based ADSB is the future solution but it sure looks like folks over promised and under delivered on low altitude GA space based ADSB systems. ADSB is easy in the flight levels not so easy down low hence the diversity antenna requirement. Given that Nav Canada is fighting for its financial life due to the calamitous COVID traffic reductions, I just don't see them making the investment to enable an under 12.5 ADSB requirement any time soon.

I would bet money we are at least 5 years away from any low altitude ADSB mandate.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm

October 2020 from NavCanada: All ADS-B plans are on indefinite hold until traffic levels resume.
Do you have a reference for this? I can't find any reference to it on their web site.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 pm I believe the tail beacon X requires a dedicated panel controller like the Av20 or Av 30. So I would suggest more research. The L3 Lynx transponder is diversity capable at an upcharge of I believe only $ 1000 so it seems to be quite a bit less than GARMIN's units

Personally and an opinion worth every penny you paid for it :wink: , It appears to me that Nav Canada has for now, put ADSB in the "too hard" box.

There is no question that space based ADSB is the future solution but it sure looks like folks over promised and under delivered on low altitude GA space based ADSB systems. ADSB is easy in the flight levels not so easy down low hence the diversity antenna requirement. Given that Nav Canada is fighting for its financial life due to the calamitous COVID traffic reductions, I just don't see them making the investment to enable an under 12.5 ADSB requirement any time soon.

I would bet money we are at least 5 years away from any low altitude ADSB mandate.
I think the dilemma is if you want/need to fly to the US in Class C or B or above 10k feet, you need ADS-B. There's no sense buying a solution that may be incompatible with Canadian airspace in just 5 years.

And the tailbeaconX will require a controller (which looks like it has some sort of EFIS so you can replace your attitude indicator), but they all require some sort of control box. 1090es is more than just an ads-b "signal" like 978UAT. It also a mode S transponder.

It would be great if they would install 978UAT ground equipment for GA aircraft like the US. it would only have to be centered in transponder required airspace and it would save a lot of money for GA aircraft.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:32 pm
ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Do you have a reference for this? I can't find any reference to it on their web site.
There is little point in looking on NavCanada's website since the company itself is both incompetent and unaccountable. I thought I was clear that I was responding to a request for rumours, not facts. So far NavCanada has been completely unable to come up with a plan so looking for information on the plan is likely to be frustrating.

However since it's you BPF, the reference is an anonymous NavCanada manager familiar with their ADS-B plans. I don't know if it's true, it's just the latest thing I was told when I inquired about NavCanada's plans for ADS-B in Canada. I don't normally repeat rumours but this was a direct request.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The problem with the TailbeaconX is that while uAvionix claims that it will soon be TSO and meets all the performance requirements for NavCanada / Aireon, it isn't yet compatible with any sort of legal installation in Canada. There are dozens of Canadian registered aircraft flying around with these things installed and no TC approval.

Histolytica
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Histolytica »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm I would not make any avionics choices based on rumours about NavCanada's future plans. Look at the current requirements and published future requirements and go with that. NavCanada has NO published current or future requirements for ADS-B outside of MNPS airspace.

However if you are looking for rumours to justify spending another 10k, here's the latest I have.

August 2019 from TC: Any diversity requirement will not affect class C airspace around major urban centers because they will install ground based systems.

Is there an official document on what NavCanada's future (or previous) plans are?
I agree that for class C it seems it will likely be quite a while before there's a mandate. However, phase 2 has been previously slated for 2022 (according to COPA article). This is the class B I'm concerned with. Was that an official or tentative plan? I have no desire to spend money based on rumors; I'm trying to figure out what the official plan is. If there's no official plan, then I guess I'll fix my broken transponder and wait for a plan before buying the next one.

thanks
H

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Histolytica wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:12 pmIs there an official document on what NavCanada's future (or previous) plans are?
No.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:03 pm The problem with the TailbeaconX is that while uAvionix claims that it will soon be TSO and meets all the performance requirements for NavCanada / Aireon, it isn't yet compatible with any sort of legal installation in Canada. There are dozens of Canadian registered aircraft flying around with these things installed and no TC approval.
The skybeacon has an STC for multiple aircraft and I believe the TailBeaconX will be STCd (it's being targeted for the Canadian market). The regular (978) tailbeacon is only STCd for the Cessna 172, and the 337 method is likely no good in Canada.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The Skybeacon works on 978 and therefore has no installation and maintenance requirements in Canada beyond basic electrical system rules. The TailbeaconX is an ADS-B and Mode S transponder which falls under a whole pile of rules, all of which are currently being ignored while they fly around in Canadian airspace. So far it hasn't caused any problems and TC is turning a blind eye. If at some point one of these systems does cause a problem TC will probably throw the book at the pilot and AC owner and not mention NavCanada's involvement. If there's a midair, the TSB will hopefully point out that TC knew what was going on and ignored it.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:24 pm The Skybeacon works on 978 and therefore has no installation and maintenance requirements in Canada beyond basic electrical system rules. The TailbeaconX is an ADS-B and Mode S transponder which falls under a whole pile of rules, all of which are currently being ignored while they fly around in Canadian airspace. So far it hasn't caused any problems and TC is turning a blind eye. If at some point one of these systems does cause a problem TC will probably throw the book at the pilot and AC owner and not mention NavCanada's involvement. If there's a midair, the TSB will hopefully point out that TC knew what was going on and ignored it.
The tailbeaconX (1090ES) TSO isn't even for sale yet. There's a version for experimental aircraft, but that falls in a different set of rules. The TSO tailbeaconX is available for preorder.

The tailbeacon (978UAT) is available in both TSO and experimental versions and is installed as a minor modification using form 337 (in the US). It is STCd for the Cessna 172.

The skybeacon (978UAT) is available in TSO and experimental versions and has FAA STCs for a variety of aircraft type and is installed in accordance with the STC.

You are correct that a lot of people have installed tailbeacons and skybeacons (978UAT versions) so they can access US airspace. This has no effect on NavCanada Radar since they do not replace an existing Mode C or Mode S transponder. I talked to Brant Aero about the cost to have one installed and the guy said they have been quite popular.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:44 pmThe tailbeaconX (1090ES) TSO isn't even for sale yet. There's a version for experimental aircraft, but that falls in a different set of rules.
In what way does CAR Standards 571 Appendix F differ for amateur built aircraft?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:12 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:44 pmThe tailbeaconX (1090ES) TSO isn't even for sale yet. There's a version for experimental aircraft, but that falls in a different set of rules.
In what way does CAR Standards 571 Appendix F differ for amateur built aircraft?
Who said it did? You can take an amateur-built with a TailBeaconX to an avionics shop and have its performance tested just like any other transponder.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 pmI believe the tail beacon X requires a dedicated panel controller like the Av20 or Av 30. So I would suggest more research.
This is correct. uAvionix made a small number of AV-10's, which was *just* a head unit to receive static pressure and control the TailBeaconX, but they decided not to take them to production after the beta program. Which is too bad, as that would definitely keep them in the "cheapest solution" box.

The AV-30, however, is a very nice piece of kit. If I weren't on an upgrade path that will ultimately end with a large piece of glass, I would definitely replace my front and center 3-1/8" instrument with one of them.

The TailBeaconX is really intended for planes that either have an EFIS, or are buying an AV-20 or -30, or have some other head-unit that speaks a standard protocol for remote-control of a transponder. I'm working on a device that will speak the Sandia protocol and provide that control, but it won't be for TSO installations... Amateur-built only.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 am
ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:12 pm
Who said it did? You can take an amateur-built with a TailBeaconX to an avionics shop and have its performance tested just like any other transponder.
Yes, if the owner of an amateur-built aircraft didn't want to fly around illegally after installing a TailBeaconX they could indeed take it to an avionics shop and have it tested. Unfortunately, they would then find out that while uAvionix claims that it meets the performance requirements
The tailBeaconX Mode S transponder meets the performance requirements of TSO-C112e Class 1 Level 2els, and 1090 ES ADS-B transmitter TSO-C166b Class B1S
they do not claim that it meets all the requirements. Specifically the ON and ground test functions. There is no way to test the suppression, frequency, power, or MTL of the mode A and C functions. So you can certainly take it to the shop and spend the money, but the shop will not be able sign it off.

So then the owner is faced with not turning the unit on, or flying illegally.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:27 pm
Histolytica wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:12 pmIs there an official document on what NavCanada's future (or previous) plans are?
No.
Yes, there is.

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-an ... udies.aspx

Fourth one down on that page. In the document that the link opens are links to both the terms of reference and aeronautical study.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ahramin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:57 amthey do not claim that it meets all the requirements. Specifically the ON and ground test functions. There is no way to test the suppression, frequency, power, or MTL of the mode A and C functions. So you can certainly take it to the shop and spend the money, but the shop will not be able sign it off.
So how does a shop test those things on a "normal" transponder?

Return to “General Comments”