Ontario Stay Home Order coming in.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Ontario Stay Home Order coming in.

Post by Longtimer »

re the vaccine and why Israel is apparently denying Palestinians the vaccine, the real question is why are not all the Arab Nations joining together to supply the vaccine to the Palestinians?
---------- ADS -----------

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:08 pm So I’m wrong that the global pandemic will not improve because Israel is denying Palestinians the vaccine? I thought your nonsense argument would be “you know it’s winter in the Southern Hemisphere”. I did not expect the world being unable to recover until Israel shows some humanity to Palestiniens.
Big picture. It's an example of how the recovery will be selective and political. The biggest clue should be that a country that survives solely off of the avails of Western taxpayer money suddenly has a first-world vaccination programme. The West will not be invited to the party.

Last edited by ReserveTank on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

rooster wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:53 pm Sorry to go off thread topic, but why is it that on so many of these threads do I find Rockie constantly arguing and insulting people? Do you ever have a civilised discussion with anyone? Or can you not swallow your pride and ever admit you might not always be, or have to be right about everything? If you don't like someones opinion, why do you feel the need to attack them for it? My guy I think you need a break from this forum.
Some people can't be challenged to think. It's a simple default to lay out a midwitted insult. A failure to engage in conversation thinly disguised as (as some kind of) intellect.

Longtimer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:00 pm re the vaccine and why Israel is apparently denying Palestinians the vaccine, the real question is why are not all the Arab Nations joining together to supply the vaccine to the Palestinians?
As far as recent events go, I think it's likely because of the Abraham Accords. The expansion of the "Middle East Region," makes some Arab Nations better friends with Israel whilst further choking the occupied territories. But in general, there has been a long history of blockades to Palestinians.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

How again does Israel denying Palestinians the vaccine stunt the global recovery?

Also it’s not midwitted, you reversed the m and the d. I love irony.
ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:16 pm It's a simple default to lay out a midwitted insult.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm How again does Israel denying Palestinians the vaccine stunt the global recovery?

Also it’s not midwitted, you reversed the m and the d. I love irony.
ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:16 pm It's a simple default to lay out a midwitted insult.
www.midwit.com
"Midwit" was coined by Vox Day to describe individuals of above average intelligence, yet not too far from average. Essentially people smart enough to think about ideas, reason through them to some degree.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm Also it’s not midwitted, you reversed the m and the d. I love irony.
Not so fast. There's a vocabulary lesson here for you.
The midwit will take the cultural norms of the day... and will then add some tiny addition of thought , into the mix - to act as a marker - A marker as someone who has had an 'original thought', a 'freethinker' (which it is not).
It's merely an additional piece of information adding to the existing model - thus aligning to the already conformist world view , and then wrapped up in the facade of 'originality'.
Hence the term, 'the academic poser'.
Eventually you will get to a point where empathy becomes more important than the pursuit of truth.
My favourite part of the concept:
They can be overwhelmed by a cognitive dissonance that comes from the empathy / intelligence association.
Meaning that:
There is strong indications that the midwit will take on the prevailing dominant ideology, and with that , will adopt that way of thinking.

This means the midwit will have a tendency to always see 'which way the wind's blowing' as it were. They can work out what the dominant way of thinking is and understand that by adopting that cultural zeitgeist (or pretending to) that will help them socially , and help their social chances.

https://peakd.com/hive-174578/@lucylin/ ... ow-thyself

You stand corrected.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm How again does Israel denying Palestinians the vaccine stunt the global recovery?
It's a single, but not miniscule example of how the recovery process is being made political. There's not one single reason that we couldn't have injected 20% of our population with that swill too.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:51 pm [quote=Rockie post_id=<a href="tel:1141046">1141046</a> time=<a href="tel:1610916026">1610916026</a> user_id=5632]
How again does Israel denying Palestinians the vaccine stunt the global recovery?
It's a single, but not miniscule example of how the recovery process is being made political. There's not one single reason that we couldn't have injected 20% of our population with that swill too.
[/quote]

Well besides the fact there aren’t enough vaccines yet for 20% of our population, and even that’s with Canada taking more per capita than most countries. But it still doesn’t answer the question after how many tries? How is this going to prevent things from getting better throughout the summer?

BTW I get it now. It’s just that I had no idea what a midwit was before googling it because I’m not an extreme right wing Incel. You can’t imagine how glad I am that I wasn’t in on it. Another moral compass victory.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dash.Trash wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:55 pm Whether you are for or against lockdowns, everyone should read this interview. Lengthy, but worth it.

“But what happened in the middle of March when Covid-19 appeared on our shores after wreaking havoc in China, Italy, Spain and France? Governments took every plan they’d ever written and threw them all out the window. No one followed the process. They panicked, put the doctors in change and hid for three months. And now, having made that mistake, we can’t get out of it.”

https://c2cjournal.ca/2020/12/every-sto ... onfidence/
Very good interview with someone that understands the multiple facets required in an effective response. It's a shame that very credible and experienced individuals like this aren't heard more.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm
ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:51 pm [quote=Rockie post_id=<a href="tel:1141046">1141046</a> time=<a href="tel:1610916026">1610916026</a> user_id=5632]
I’m not an extreme right wing Incel.
LOL at the adjective salad. Now we can reverse the d and m.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ReserveTank wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:09 am
Rockie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm
I’m not an extreme right wing Incel.
LOL at the adjective salad.
Then you certainly wouldn’t understand the multi-syllable ones that apply.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

When the elderly die with covid they quickly add the stats to the covid count.

When they elderly die after a vaccine, they are all of a sudden frail and terminally ill.

Who would have thought, old people die.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think the quality of your posts will improve once you yourself are elderly and frail.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

good one

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

An email from a school where I have been renting from in the U.S. as an interesting view on what is happening down there in a High contagion area.....

"Hi Pilots,

I hope this email finds you, your family and friends safe and healthy.

This is to confirm that XXXXXXXXXX is still scheduled to reopen this Wednesday, December 9th. All scheduled lessons, renter and solo student reservations will resume unless cancelled >24 hours ahead of time.

Before the second case of COVID was reported to me, we had asked all staff to get COVID tests Thursday or later. Most of those tests have come back by now and we have received no new reports of new cases, which gives me comfort. Since the second case was reported, we did, however, ask staff to get tested a second time this next week, so as to maintain the CDC recommended test timing increments with respect to incubation periods. If these second tests yield more positive results, we may extend the closure - I will keep you posted.

Next I would like to thank those who participated in the survey we sent out in the last email. We received a lot of very valuable information about how everyone is feeling about our procedures and training at XXXXX in light of the recent cases. We learned that the vast majority (97%) of you feel great about our procedures and continuing your training at this time. In fact, a few of you feel like we may be doing more than necessary. I'm grateful to have learned that.

Some insights that we gained were that we need to be doing a couple of things we're already doing..better. Here are a couple of the changes we're making effective immediately:

Hand sanitizing or washing will be required of everyone upon each entry to SMF. We will provide more hand sanitizer throughout the school
Mask wearing will be even more strictly enforced. Staff and students who used to drop masks to munch on food over periods of time, such as during ground lessons, will be asked to keep eating periods brief so as to return masks to their faces as soon as possible
Staff will no longer be allowed to eat together or be together while seated, unless accomplishing a specific project or task. Staff will take turns eating in the kitchen area and when taking breaks between students or otherwise, will not do so together in school areas. This is to reduce the number of people in the school at any one time.

In conjunction with the measure above, we are asking all students and renters to come into the school only when they are able to go straight to their reservation and leave immediately after their reservation has ended. Again, we are trying to reduce the amount of people in the school at any given time. If you arrive early before a reservation or are waiting for a ride after a reservation, we ask you to exit the school on either side until your reservation begins your your ride arrives. Feel free to go out to the apron (or better yet the observation deck) to watch airplanes - or wait in your car or on the balcony in the front. We are asking our staff to do the same.

Our flight line staff will get better at disinfecting common surfaces throughout the day, such as light switches, door handles, chairs, etc.
CFIs will wipe down chairs and tables with disinfectant spray before and after each use.
We are enforcing more strictly the disinfecting of aircraft before and after each flight.
Flight line staff will, as time permits, assist in disinfecting commonly touched surfaces in aircraft throughout the day.
We are asking students who, during normal times, we delightfully invite to study in quiet, distraction-free corners of the school, to study at home for now.

We know these measures can be somewhat onerous, limiting and frustrating but they will not last forever. They are temporary until a vaccine is out and/or the infection rate has dropped significantly. We are asking for a little patience and perseverance from our students, renters and staff while we get through this temporary difficult period.

I'd also like to share a couple of other things in response to the survey data:

We are, in fact, doing contact tracing.

Each and every flight instructor was tasked with reaching out to each and every student of theirs that was in the school 3 days prior to the first COVID case last worked in the school (Sun, Nov 29 - a member of our flight line staff), and up until the last day that the school was open (Tue, Dec 1 - a CFI).

Similarly, our front desk staff reached out to all solo students and renters who came in during the same period.
We have advised the students who worked with the CFI that tested positive, that their flight instructor had tested positive.
We have advised students and staff that we know came in contact with the flight line staff member who tested positive.
Finally, the email that was sent advising of the school closure, the COVID cases, and included the survey, was meant to cover all remaining bases, notifying anyone else that may not have been notified.

We are, in fact, referencing CDC and other governmental and public health guidelines throughout this process as thoroughly as possible. The reason we sent out the survey was not to allow us to reduce our procedures below levels set by the CDC or other public health guidance sources, but rather to gauge your level of comfort with our procedures and to go "above and beyond" in those areas that were important to you. The fact is the CDC and other public health guidelines do not provide guidance that are tailored specifically for flight schools, so we must think outside the box and expand our procedures to cover our specific operations. We believe we are doing so as best we can but, in recognizing the limitations of our own perspectives, thought it prudent to reach out to our students and renters to see if there were things we hadn't thought of yet.

I hope this answers some of the questions you had and allays any concerns, while also assures you that we are maintaining the safest and healthiest possible training environment for you.

As always, please be sure to let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. Here again is the survey link in case you haven't had a chance yet to share your thoughts with us:

Wishing you all a safe, healthy and Happy Holidays and looking forward to seeing you when you are next in to fly with us!"

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

photofly wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:05 pm I think the quality of your posts will improve once you yourself are elderly and frail.
How about the quality of my posts, I am older but not “elderly and frail “ yet but my time is coming. Just asking 😉😉😉.

Return to “General Comments”