Flight schools and their status?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Flight schools and their status?

Post by Civic »

Hello all and safety first in our crazy world.

Just enquiring on the status of flight schools and are we still open ONLY to career oriented students? Are we busy , shutdown temporarily, partially , etc?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flight schools and their status?

Post by gtappl »

Civic wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 am Hello all and safety first in our crazy world.

Just enquiring on the status of flight schools and are we still open ONLY to career oriented students? Are we busy , shutdown temporarily, partially , etc?

Thanks
Sharing your location would help?

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

gtappl wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:27 am
Civic wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 am Hello all and safety first in our crazy world.

Thanks
Sharing your location would help?
Sorry about that, I’m in Ontario but just wondering about all of Canada in general.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Always open to Chinese students. Their cheques never bounce.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Seems at least in Ontario, if the school offers commercial pilot licenses, they can't offer private instruction since they're regulated by the Private Careers Colleges Act, but small schools that only offer private instruction can do whatever they would like since they are not regulated by the province.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

DadoBlade wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:40 am Always open to Chinese students. Their cheques never bounce.
What are you implying with that remark? I don't know where aviation would be in Canada without them, honestly. They've employed a ton of Canadian pilots and AMEs with their first jobs, not you mention bringing ATC jobs to several airports. Plus they're all career students, not recreational pilots. They deserve just as much support to train as anyone else. Even some shops and restaurants owe part of their success to these students.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
wapitibaby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wapitibaby »

I'm pretty sure that was a joke... If having absolutely no sense of humor gets you going through this pandemic keep doing just that, you're doing great!!

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

wapitibaby wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:57 pm I'm pretty sure that was a joke... If having absolutely no sense of humor gets you going through this pandemic keep doing just that, you're doing great!!
Perhaps I'm being oversensitive, but I grow weary of all the flak those kids receive. Remarks from people thinking they're spies, paranoid about Covid, mad that they're taking our jobs or whatever they think is going on... even Rebel Media wrote a ridiculous piece blasting them and trying to stir shit up.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

I had a few awesome Chinese students...we had fun.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Cessna 180 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm Seems at least in Ontario, if the school offers commercial pilot licenses, they can't offer private instruction since they're regulated by the Private Careers Colleges Act, but small schools that only offer private instruction can do whatever they would like since they are not regulated by the province.
In general, the transportation sector is still allowed to operate.

They are regulated no more or no less than any other business in Ontario regarding provincial emergency orders or even local health unit directives.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Heliian wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:00 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm Seems at least in Ontario, if the school offers commercial pilot licenses, they can't offer private instruction since they're regulated by the Private Careers Colleges Act, but small schools that only offer private instruction can do whatever they would like since they are not regulated by the province.
In general, the transportation sector is still allowed to operate.

They are regulated no more or no less than any other business in Ontario regarding provincial emergency orders or even local health unit directives.

Ok, because I still see the advanced ultralight flight schools operating as they don’t need an AOC under Transport Canada but still under the umbrella of TC.

Return to “General Comments”