YVR Airport Authority

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

YVR Airport Authority

Post by ayseven »

Just a general question that has bothered me for a long time. How did YVR get so much money?

We know that they pay rent to the feds for the airports they operate. We know they generate income for their "non profit" by passengers paying the airlines, and the airlines paying for landing fees and such, plus airport improvement fees, plus space rental to businesses.

How on earth has this massive entity been allowed to get so big, with barely anybody noticing? We know they have invested in airports all over the world, including a losing proposition owning Liverpool John Lennon, which they eventually sold back to the original owner for a loss.

My point here, is that the airlines seem to be getting ripped off on fees, and then they get blamed for ticket prices. As a frequent passenger, I know darn well that the airline is not making much on every "bum class" passenger, but somebody else is.

Is there any way of getting this type of entity, and I use YVR as an example, to lower their fees? There is obviously too much money that they have to get rid of because of their "non profit" status, so why don't they do everyone a favour and lower their fees, and encourage travel?

Am I missing important information here? I am interested in your opinions.
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: YVR Airport Authority

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

If you’re looking for a good example of a “crooked airport” to support your theory, look no further than YYC.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

All these airport improvement fees have done is turn airports into outlet malls, real improvements for the actual "airport" are minimal.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:17 am Just a general question that has bothered me for a long time. How did YVR get so much money?
It costs a lot of money to maintain an airport, operate a terminal building, and pay exorbitant rent while doing it. When costs are so high, you need to come up with ways to generate a lot of revenue.
dhc# wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:02 am All these airport improvement fees have done is turn airports into outlet malls, real improvements for the actual "airport" are minimal.
So I guess the new parallel runway and new terminal are not real enough for you. (NavCan has built a new control tower as well. I guess that's not real either !)

You see an increase in retail space at airports because that is the best way for the airport authorities to increase their revenue, to cover the costs of all the "real" improvements, and the Transport Canada rent they pay.

Of course, they could get rid of all the retail space and increase the AIF's to 100$ a person to makeup for the difference. Would that be better?

Look, the not for profit system here in Canada is definitely unique, and might be far from ideal, but the airport authorities are doing what they can to generate revenue, in order to cover the costs of maintaining their airports, pay rent, and do necessary upgrades. YYC needed a parallel runway. That's a fact. It was one of the busiest airports in the world (in terms of movements) without a parallel runway. Now, I concede, some can argue that the new terminal was a tad too much, but again, YYC needed a terminal extension. There is no denying it. Building it a bit larger than needed today always costs less than restarting construction in 5-10 years time, so YYC saved money in that regard as well.

YVRAA has done a lot of improvements airside as well (runway end safety areas come to mind). Your average passenger does not see these improvements, but it definitely costs a lot of money to do it, and are a plus in terms of safety.

No one could have foreseen a pandemic in 2020. Airport authorities have seen their revenues plummet. It is only normal that fees go up.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the Liberal government of Chretien, who came up with the not for profit system for airport operations in Canada.

Last edited by thenoflyzone on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Bit late for that. Let's find solutions.

I did not say it did not cost a lot to run an airport; I am sure it does, but they have EXCESS cash, or they wouldn't be looking into buying foreign airports would they? There just does not seem to be a lot of accountability to the ones who pay the freight: people like me and you.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Why do airport bathrooms need granite ?

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:10 am Why do airport bathrooms need granite ?
Because it is one of the longest lasting and most durable materials for a high use public washroom that sanitizes well. What would you suggest? Also I don't think they are a real granite vs engineered material that looks like granite.

That being said, AIFs should be used for infrastructure projects only. Not building strip malls, or outside investments. If those projects are all bought and paid for it should be required to reduce or drop it all together.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

YYZ painted over that god awful wall of leftover neon colours a couple years ago. Apparently they paid a lot of money for that “art”.

Let’s Go Brandon
DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Toronto, Malton, a.k.a. "Toronto Pearson International" Airport, i.e. YYZ, (nobody calls it "Pearson"), has one of the world's highest user fees. It is NOT Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, nor London, yet the airlines and passengers sure do pay through the nose to operate out of what is a "B" grade airport at best. Snow removal is pretty good but everything else?.. The terminal layout, city access, taxiway and runway format, etc., are far surpassed by even a random dozen international Asian and/or European airports. Pourquoi?

Last edited by DadoBlade on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Because we are suckers and most people don't know any better. Singapore and Amsterdam make Pearson look like a third rate movie. Yeah lot's of people still call it Pearson.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

DadoBlade wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:52 pm Toronto, Malton, a.k.a. "Toronto Pearson International" Airport, i.e. YYZ, (nobody calls it "Pearson"), has one of the world's highest user fees. It is NOT Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, nor London, yet the airlines and passengers sure do pay through the nose to operate out of what is a "B" grade airport at best. Snow removal is pretty good but everything else?.. The terminal layout, city access, taxiway and runway format, etc., are far surpassed by even a random dozen international Asian and/or European airports. Pourquoi?
Toronto is an alpha city, same as all the cities you mention. (Tokyo and London are Alpha++). Montreal is Alpha-. There are about 50 cities in the world that are in the Alpha category (which includes -, + and ++), and 2 of them are in Canada. That's not bad.

Also, airport fees are just one segment of overall costs associated with operating at an airport.

What is B grade about 3 parallel runways and 2 crosswind runways? LHR wants a 3rd parallel and can't build one.

Terminal layout? YYZ terminal layout is quite similar to that of Amsterdam (main check in area with several fingers extending outwards from said area).

You mention Tokyo and London. Try getting a landing slot at LHR or HND. See how much that's going to set you back. If you factor in ALL costs, it is still cheaper for an airline to fly into YYZ than some of those mega airports you mention.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It may be true that YYZ is cheaper land in than Heathrow or somewhere else, but with the fees they collect, under the guise of "non profit", they should be able to return any of those superfluous diniros back to us, the taxpayers, or lower their fees if that isn't allowed. Collecting exorbitant rent to small businesses like cafés should lower their aviation related fees, but no, they just use the extra to buy airports in foreign countries, and pay themselves who knows how much?

BTW, I had read that Heathrow had the approval to put in a third runway. A bit moot now, though, given our worldwide situation. I just can't wait for all this to be over, to get going somewhere, so I can eat overpriced food, and buy overpriced luggage at an airport somewhere.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DadoBlade wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:52 pm Toronto, Malton, a.k.a. "Toronto Pearson International" Airport, i.e. YYZ, (nobody calls it "Pearson"), has one of the world's highest user fees. It is NOT Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, nor London, yet the airlines and passengers sure do pay through the nose to operate out of what is a "B" grade airport at best. Snow removal is pretty good but everything else?.. The terminal layout, city access, taxiway and runway format, etc., are far surpassed by even a random dozen international Asian and/or European airports. Pourquoi?
More like nobody calls it "Toronto Malton" and everyone calls it "Pearson".

It does have usurous fees, and a great airport it is not.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:14 pm YYZ painted over that god awful wall of leftover neon colours a couple years ago. Apparently they paid a lot of money for that “art”.

I was told the spray paint job was 200k. An artist came in with a few cans of spray paint and spent a few hours spraying the wall for 200k. Every once in a while the artist would pause and think of his next step and the paint would pool and start to drip down the wall... Had I known they were looking for an artist for this job I would have put my bid in for 500.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:17 am Just a general question that has bothered me for a long time. How did YVR get so much money?

We know that they pay rent to the feds for the airports they operate. We know they generate income for their "non profit" by passengers paying the airlines, and the airlines paying for landing fees and such, plus airport improvement fees, plus space rental to businesses.

How on earth has this massive entity been allowed to get so big, with barely anybody noticing? We know they have invested in airports all over the world, including a losing proposition owning Liverpool John Lennon, which they eventually sold back to the original owner for a loss.

My point here, is that the airlines seem to be getting ripped off on fees, and then they get blamed for ticket prices. As a frequent passenger, I know darn well that the airline is not making much on every "bum class" passenger, but somebody else is.

Is there any way of getting this type of entity, and I use YVR as an example, to lower their fees? There is obviously too much money that they have to get rid of because of their "non profit" status, so why don't they do everyone a favour and lower their fees, and encourage travel?

Am I missing important information here? I am interested in your opinions.
Anybody know that airport service vehicle story from YVR? I was told they had so much money left over at the end of the year they either had to return it to the people who paid the AIFs and such or spend it. So they bought a whole fleet of vehicles that they didn't even need, which then sat unused taking up a whole parking lot all year.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

They piss it away all day long. Big budget makes the airport authority ceos a big deal... and big budget comes from big fees.

The system is broken.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

200hr Wonder wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:08 pm
fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:10 am Why do airport bathrooms need granite ?
Because it is one of the longest lasting and most durable materials for a high use public washroom that sanitizes well. What would you suggest? Also I don't think they are a real granite vs engineered material that looks like granite.

That being said, AIFs should be used for infrastructure projects only. Not building strip malls, or outside investments. If those projects are all bought and paid for it should be required to reduce or drop it all together.
What’s wrong with stainless? Every commercial kitchen uses it for a reason.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Dollar for dollar stainless costs more than the engineered materials they are using. Not to mention the high abrasive cleaners that the cleaners likely use are not great for stainless. At the very least the engineered material is wash on cost and is a much more pleasant feeling then cold stainless in bathroom if you ask me. In all honesty I can not really fault YVR for the fit and finish of public spaces. They choose durable stuff that is cost effective for what they are doing and there is nothing wrong with a pleasing decor. It is dumb stuff that really gets my goat. Like these stupid chairs in Sasktoon that broke in a week, the entirety of the YYC terminal expansion.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Well obviously the winner for stupid moves has to be the YVR outlet mall. That right there should have been the end of Craig.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

"I need a time machine"

Return to “General Comments”