Converting TC SMEL MIFR CPL to FAA License

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Converting TC SMEL MIFR CPL to FAA License

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello Everyone,

Assuming I can get a green card, what are the steps for conversion. I also am planning to do a flight instructor gig once I arrive there. Assuming this all goes through and I move to preferably California what are my chances of good career progression. I would move with a Aviation Diploma from a University.
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Converting TC SMEL MIFR CPL to FAA License

Post by telex »

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Unless you have a 4 year degree or some sort of US status, there's little chance. If you do have a 4 year degree, apply to a University if they're willing to hire you as an instructor/teacher under a TN status. It must be a university, not a uni affiliated Part 141 school. I do not think OPT works if you just did a CFI.

Embry Riddle and UND have hired Canadians under TN before, and I'm sure they still will. The career progression would be if the school is willing to sponsor you for a green card. I've heard UND has before, not sure about others (Universities have their own immigration departments with lawyers who usually sort this stuff out, and they're exempt from most visa caps).

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

FAA AC 61-135A has everything you need to know for converting your CPL and your instrument rating.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... ID/1027574

The Gleim courses are good.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 pm Unless you have a 4 year degree or some sort of US status, there's little chance. If you do have a 4 year degree, apply to a University if they're willing to hire you as an instructor/teacher under a TN status. It must be a university, not a uni affiliated Part 141 school. I do not think OPT works if you just did a CFI.

Embry Riddle and UND have hired Canadians under TN before, and I'm sure they still will. The career progression would be if the school is willing to sponsor you for a green card. I've heard UND has before, not sure about others (Universities have their own immigration departments with lawyers who usually sort this stuff out, and they're exempt from most visa caps).
Let's say I get a green card, is it still worth going to get a 4 year degree? Would someone hire me without a degree?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

shawnthesheep wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:31 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 pm Unless you have a 4 year degree or some sort of US status, there's little chance. If you do have a 4 year degree, apply to a University if they're willing to hire you as an instructor/teacher under a TN status. It must be a university, not a uni affiliated Part 141 school. I do not think OPT works if you just did a CFI.

Let's say I get a green card, is it still worth going to get a 4 year degree? Would someone hire me without a degree?
Yes absolutely. Especially as things recover, they're going to want a 4 year degree. It was next to impossible to get hired by the big 3 pre-covid without a Bachelor's (in any subject).

If you're looking for a reasonably priced school that will give you substantial credit for your pilot experience, along with whatever other college you may have, consider Liberty University Online. They have a good aviation program.

Other popular options are Embry Riddle and Utah Valley University, but they aren't as price-friendly (UVU is, but it's a lot harder to apply as a Canadian).

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

Step 1 - Go to ERAU and while your there marry a local.
Step 2 - Network and go to FedEx

Return to “General Comments”