Carb fire season

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Carb fire season

Post by J31 »

You may not be getting a strong spark. I would suggest checking the magneto internal point gap and timing to the engine.

If you have not had the mags apart in a while you might be surprised what you find! :smt040 :cry:
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Agreed, the engine is coming off, and the accessories overhauled. None are calendar/hour due yet, but I'm making them due now!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Update, and new lesson about inspections....

All accessories overhauled and reinstalled, four overhauled cylinders installed, all baffles rebuilt, and other details attended to - including bolts.

New engine mount bolts, but Prop bolts are a little expensive to just replace ($76 each), so I had them MPI inspected - one failed! You can't see the crack with the naked eye, but once I knew where to look, I could see it clearly in the microscope. The root of the thread was cracked most of the way around, two threads down from the shoulder. The other five bolts passed. So, I bought one new bolt.

As I'm aware of the AD inspections being required of other aging GA aircraft, I'm paying more attention to things just getting older and end of life, and there are some. These planes are not lasting forever....

Return to “General Comments”